Any RELIABLE siren that can beep and alarm consistently?

I’ve been using the Aeron Siren to beep when doors are opened and siren when the alarm goes off, but it works properly at most 50% of the time.
I’m using the custom device type and the siren beep app with it. It is very inconsistent at best. Sometimes it beeps properly, sometimes it’s a very long beep, sometimes it’s a full alarm, sometimes it’s a very delayed beep, and other times it never beeps at all.
The siren functionality is similar. Sometimes it is delayed turning on, never turns on, delayed when turning off, or doesn’t turn off unless I physically hit the button on top of the siren.
I’ve tried using the custom audio notifications, but that doesn’t seem to work either.
At this point I’m ready to stop using it.
Are there any alternatives that actually work consistently? I just want a short beep when doors open and other notifications, as well as an siren for the alarm.

Why not get a cheap Vista20p alarm panel and enable chime mode? Any “fault” such as a door sensor opening will make the keypad chime, and you can definitely siren on alarm.

There are ST integrations for this as well through alarmdecoder.

This is SmartThings so nothing is completely reliable, but if you can get the Aeon Siren to pair securely, you should have better results than what you’re currently seeing.

You have to use the Device Handler’s beep functionality because a SmartApp won’t be able to send the commands fast enough.

If you want a reliable beep that can also play audio notifications, I highly recommend the Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbell. You can store up to 100 20 second mp3 files and play them by track number. If you don’t need it as a doorbell, you can re-purpose the button for something else.

1 Like

Thanks. How do I securely pair it?

I also have the Aeon Doorbell. Unfortunately it’s not even close to loud enough as a siren. I will try and use it for notifications though.

Using the stock ‘Aeon Labs Siren’ device handler, how do I make it beep? It does not show up as a Audio Player under Audio Notifications. It only shows up as a Siren with a minimum duration of 1 Min (Ie, not a short beep)?

The stock DTH doesn’t provide any of those features. I was referring to Aeon Labs Multifunction Siren DTH you included a link to in your first post.

To make it beep you need to select it as an audio device and use beep as the custom message. The device settings below will provide the most reliable beep.

• Beep Sound: 3
  • Beep Volume: 1
  • Beep Repeat: 1
  • Length of Beep: 100
  • Play Beep Schedule for Beep Command: OFF
  • Play Beep Schedule Before Sounding Alarm: OFF

I’m assuming you’re using SHM so if you’re selecting the siren as an alarm, you shouldn’t be experiencing problems with it not turning on or shutting off. Most sirens will have a random delay when turned on from SHM, but the delay shouldn’t be too bad when your turning it on manually from the Mobile App.

That being said, for about a week, I’ve been having tons of SmartThings automations fail.

If the device is near the hub and you press the action button multiple times during the pairing process, it should pair securely, but some users have been unable to get it to pair securely.

If you enable debug logging in the device settings, you should see a message in Live Logging that says whether or not Secure Commands are enabled. You should be able to force it to display that message by going into the device settings from the mobile app and tapping the Done button.

If you have the doorbell volume set to 10 you should be able to hear it on another floor and/or behind closed doors, but it’s not a substitute for a siren. If you’re using it for notifications I recommend adding some type of sound to the beginning of your sound tracks so that it gets your attension before the message starts.

Using the Aeon Labs Aeotec Doorbel DTH, you can select it as an audio device and play the tracks by number.

If the device isn’t paired securely, you’ll see an additional 1-2 second delay.

If you’re using SHM or Speaker Notify with Sound and you’ve selected it as an audio device instead of an Alarm or Switch, you’ll see an additional delay because the track number gets sent to Amazon’s TTS service before it gets sent to the DTH. If you select it as an Alarm or Switch or you’re using the SmartApp CoRE to play the track by number, it won’t have to go through Amazon first and the delay souldn’t be as bad.

1 Like

I also wanted to mention that mesh is absolutely the wrong topology for this kind of use case. Both Z wave and zigbee. Mesh is not intended for forced sequencing, nor for near instantaneous response. It’s intended to be very cheap in terms of both devices and energy use, and messages are allowed to bounce around the network a little bit before being processed. I’ve seen lots of times where a door closed notification was processed before a door opened notification because the open just happened to get stuck in the wrong lane on the highway, so to speak.

If you want a quick and reliable siren, you need to go to point to point or a star topology. Or just hang a chime detector on the door. :wink:

Z wave is fine if you’re fine with the delay of a few seconds. And you don’t need forced sequencing. But it can’t solve every use case, and it’s not intended to.

Trying to use the Aeotec Doorbell with your DTH and can’t get it to actually play a track.

Here are my settings:

Here is the log:
‎9‎:‎50‎:‎37‎ ‎PM: trace Hail: Hail()
‎9‎:‎50‎:‎22‎ ‎PM: debug Track: playtrackatvolume_12_9_ is invalid, using 1 instead.
‎9‎:‎50‎:‎22‎ ‎PM: debug Temporarily changing volume to 2
‎9‎:‎50‎:‎22‎ ‎PM: debug Playing Track playtrackatvolume_12_9_
‎9‎:‎50‎:‎22‎ ‎PM: trace startTrack([track:playtrackatvolume_12_9_, volume:2])
‎9‎:‎50‎:‎22‎ ‎PM: trace Executing playText(playtrackatvolume_12_9_, 2)
9‎:‎50‎:‎22‎ ‎PM: trace Executing playTrack(https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-media/tts/playtrackatvolume_12_9_.mp3, 2)
‎9‎:‎50‎:‎08‎ ‎PM: debug Battery is normal
‎9‎:‎50‎:‎08‎ ‎PM: debug Volume: 10
‎9‎:‎50‎:‎07‎ ‎PM: debug Repeat: 1
9‎:‎50‎:‎06‎ ‎PM: debug Doorbell Track: 2
9‎:‎50‎:‎05‎ ‎PM: debug alarmTrack is 4
9‎:‎50‎:‎05‎ ‎PM: debug beepTrack is 3
9‎:‎50‎:‎05‎ ‎PM: debug Executing refresh()
9‎:‎50‎:‎05‎ ‎PM: debug Secure Commands Enabled
9‎:‎49‎:‎55‎ ‎PM: debug Aeon Doorbell is off

If you want to play track 12, the custom message should just be the number 12.

To play it at a specific volume, enter a number between 1-10 into the volume field.

1 Like