Announcement: Update to Database

For me personally the past two weeks or so have been one heck of a roller coaster ride. It has gone from barely acceptable to totally unusable and back. Throughout this time others seem to have had no issues. Go figure.

Right now it is the best it has been in some time. It has stabilized to the point that I may get back to support to address the other issues I have.

The same thought occurred to me, JJG, and I sympathize with you.

In this case, itā€™s all about degrees of whatā€™s ā€œunacceptableā€ thoughā€¦ The state of overall platform stability was critical and required an emergency fix, so SmartThingsā€™s choice to move quickly, at the risk of annoying a small subset of customers that use historic Event data, was the only logical option, unfortunately.

I think your post is worth noting, though, because, frankly, Iā€™m really not sure they would have given more notice, even if they could have. Send your concern (nicely :grin:) to Support@SmartThings.com to help emphasize the importance of getting more advance notice, and also take personal actions to save your data offline more frequentlyā€¦

3 Likes

Ok. I suffered through yesterday with the hub update and the server upgrade.

The hub update occurred and I saw an improvement in the system.

But then they started on the backendā€¦

My app was working sporadically. The red banner was constantā€¦ And I do mean constant. I couldnā€™t control anything via the app and echo only worked occasionally. Local control was fine, via my Minimotes I use for backup for this type of outage.
My timed rules were also firing ok last night.

I finally closed the app, the computer and watched CSI before I started breaking things.

Now, this morningā€¦ Hmmmm

Scheduled items all fired.
App is working.
Not a single red banner
Echo control is perfect
Able to make and manipulate smartapp rules.

Honestly, right this minute, my system is freakishly awesome! ! ! !

So, @slagle and the rest of the ST teamā€¦

GREAT JOB YESTERDAY! we have forward progress noticeable at the use end!

ā€¦
And on that note, Iā€™ll be back later to tell sry you when something screws up! :smile:

4 Likes

Canā€™t say Iā€™ve seen it mentioned anywhere but are there plans to perform this same change to EU servers?

Agreed. Everything is working flawlessly

if only we could freeze time and keep it this way. Last night mine was not working AT ALL today not a single issue

2 Likes

iā€™m not even on the US servers i am on the EU servers, i have had a 20% success rate today and yesterday. everything is failing and not firing. I was forced to reboot the hub today because absolutely nothing was working. the service is in the toilet. i have been looking at alternatives thinking that maybe before i finish the switch they can keep improve this and keep me as a customerā€¦i really want to like this platform i really do.

My fingers are hurting Iā€™ve been keeping them so tight crossed since yesterday that everything will stay like this. No issues at all, routines firing, schedules are working. So itā€™s POSSIBLE! GREAT work guys! @slagle go take a break, you deserve it!!!

2 Likes

As far as I am concerned, DONā€™T TOUCH A THING. LOL Everything is working and firing and fast. Alexa does a command almost before I give it (a bit of exaggeration). In ios app, again, touch the button and light or what works instantly. For me and now, ST is work the best it has ever worked. Canā€™t say what tomorrow brings. Great work ST.

2 Likes

My ā€œGood Morningā€ routine did not run at 6:33am EST, but Iā€™ll give them a free pass on that. Iā€™ve updated it twice to new times as a test, and added an additional time based smart-lighting, and they worked.

In general I have not had many issues in the past few months, other than some local processed smart-lighting running very slow, or not running. Iā€™m hoping to see continued success. Man, I hope this means we are there!

My system is working amazingly well.To the SmartThings team, you all take a beating when things do not work well, so you deserve some accolades for what you have done over the past week. Nice job!!

1 Like

My sunset lightings apps all failed again tonight.

Is it just me or does ST do great during the day then in the evening and night it falls on its face. Almost like they have a transfer, backup, replication, etc job that kicks off about 7pm est and takes hours to complete that totally bogs the system.

Itā€™s probably a lot of traffic after sunset and the servers cannot take the overload. I am seeing errors popping up too since 6 pm. Nothing too annoying but some lights forget to turn offā€¦

My setup ran great up until two hours ago when I lost all control of my devices. Modes not changing, motion triggered lights not working, timed events failed. Couldnā€™t open and control anything with the App, but the good news is the push notifications worked great!

My Sunset apps failed yet again. They have not worked since Monday. Also started seeing errors again. Ugh

Same here. Smart Lighting schedule is stuck in the past. It was actually working quite reliably until last week. So much for the upgrade! :angry:

Scheduled Jobs
Handler Next Run Time Prev Run Time Status Schedule
sunrise_stopHandler 2016-01-19 7:39:00 AM PST WAITING Daily
sunset_triggerHandler 2016-01-21 4:58:00 PM PST 2016-01-21 4:57:59 PM PST WAITING Daily

ā€¦ and today is 23rd.

To be fair, Iā€™m pretty sure the upgrade was unrelated to that. I had the same issue where I had to reset all my time-based routines a few days ago. Everything has worked since I did that, though.

How is it unrelated? If this is not instability, then what is?

Where can I find this info?