And that's it. Abandon Ship: Samsung announces new IoT platform

SHM has been useless for me since the beginning, lacking any entry / exit delay, among many other things. But then again, I joined the ST world well before SHM was “launched” and its just another smartapp. It isn’t SmartThings…

Everything else? Hmm, lets see, yeah, lots have been broken recently. But it also seems to be working for the most part in a lot of areas.

We have had multiple explanations of the current situation, Ben Bakken has posted and joined the last developer call and explained the current database issues pretty clear. And that fixing these issues is not an overnight solution.

Are things getting better or worse? That’s the argument and its one of perspective. The ONLY consistent negative is the constant complaining going on here on the community. This used to be a place for developers to help each other and now its just a place for irate customers to complain about stuff.

Do something about it, change the current state by stopping the constant complaining and threatening to jump ship or leave at the first sign of something else… Just go or if you are going to stay, try to be helpful.

Realize that just because you don’t hear anything, doesn’t mean nothing is happening. I trust that the folks at ST are working hard to improve this platform, the current issues are growing pains, not shrinking pains. It is an imperfect world, with imperfect solutions and if you don’t like it, deal with it.

18 Likes

Along the same lines as Terry posted, meaningless updates are useless in the form of ‘we are working on it’ but not meaningless if concrete examples are given. Writing a quick note about the efforts doesn’t lock down development resources, but certainly calms down the outrage. I have to give ST credit, that much improvement has been made in the ‘transparency’ territory. And I hope it will continue to expand. @slagle recently stated that ‘more details’ are coming. Not everyone wants assurance that ST will be around for 2 more years, but a lot of people would like to know that ST is taking current outages seriously and that efforts are made in the ‘right places’ to remedy them.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what I meant.

1 Like

I agree with you completely… My point is that a periodic update would be nice. As long as it contained substantial information.

In an IT world am an initial acknowledgement and a conclusion are ok… When it’s only been 24 hours from start to finish…

How long has it been? ? ?

I’m assuming this is a generalized (not at me) statement. I agree, those that do nothing but complain should find spreadsheets else to do it, Facebook sends to enjoy being that kind of forum.

I’m more than happy to help. There isn’t anything I can do along the lines of ST, obviously, but I do try to help others with setup and programming.

I enjoy a mental challenge, and some of the things people want to do are just really of the wall!

My thing is, I see developers and others like me that are here helping, getting discouraged with this system.

Since the outrage started I’ve noticed a pretty good uptick in new users, almost all of them very unhappy. That’s not good.

In today’s tech world, issues like ST are having would have mist companies fine BT the end of the week.

But HA is still a very niche corner of the market, so being slow hasn’t killed them, yet.

I just don’t want the “yet” to happen.

1 Like

This is complete BS.

this forum is 100% the only reason the ST platform is at all F*cking USABLE by me. Last time I got with support, they had me delete 7 devices from 28 smart apps—but wait–if I had read the forums, I would have found out that hey! Just delete the bridge and re-add it!
If it weren’t for third party developers I discovered here, I would have tossed my hub on the backyard fire a year ago, or maybe sold it on Craigslist for scrap. SmartRules, SmartTiles, Rule Machine, these have done much more for my attempts to make ST work somewhere even vaguely close to its promise than the actual company has.

Not the ONLY but the MAJOR, MAIN “consistent negative” is that the ST platform is NOT CONSUMER READY. The thought that Samsung is going to roll it out to millions of IoT TVs or whatever the frak they’re about to do is exactly the motivation I need to suck up the incompatibilities of my purchased Zigbee devices and move my business to Indigo, a platform consistently associated with the adjectives “solid” and “reliable” rather than a platform better described as “flaky” or “puzzling.”

Why do you think there are so many irate customers, anyway? Are we all idiots? I know I feel stupid for choosing SmartThings.

7 Likes

Wake me up when it’s all over.

4 Likes

Personally, I’m happy to see this.

Samsung is demonstrating a strong commitment to IoT. It demonstrates they’re highly unlikely to abandon their most IoT devices.

And I want one of the new smart refrigerators. Bad. I also want to hear more about the Cloud.

As peeved as I am about SmartThings right now (and, oh my, I am so peeved right now), I believe Samsung/SmartThings will get its act together, and we’re going to see some very fun stuff.

Now, excuse me while I go back to today’s project: creating an Amazon Echo with my Raspberry Pi.

5 Likes

That’s the downside of pushing a product to stores like Best Buy, where people are used to buy plug and play devices that require no technical skills.

As the market grows, things will never be the same. You should know that by the attendance to your “Live Code Fridays”. Did your audience grow exponentially since Smartthings expanded its market?

2 Likes

I’m pretty new to all this but if something was cloud based obviously you would need some kind of hub to connect any z wave or zigbee devices. I understand a new customers $100 is always more important than an existing customers but why come out with a system that isn’t backwards compatible?

I agree Samsung announcing new IoT is exciting. A large corporation needs to full bore for Home Automation to catch on. Right now all we have a dabblers.

I thought for sure Google would do something when they got Nest and then Revolv (they didn’t). Apple homekit, is really just another way to tie people to the Apple ecoSystem. Wink looks promising, but went bankrupt last year (new owners, maybe on the rebound). The solutions from Staples/Lowes are closed systems, that require monthly fees.

I always find it interesting that people are always complaining about leaving ST, then come to the forums to vent, yet never leave.

1 Like

Sounds as if that is worth having a look at :smiley:

Do you by any chance have and online guide?

Many thanks

https://github.com/amzn/alexa-avs-raspberry-pi/blob/master/README.md

1 Like

Looks awesome.

Many thanks.

Amazon provided an extraordinarily detailed how-to on GitHub. Very well done.

1 Like

You had me hello…

Thank you for saying what I’ve been thinking and wanting to say all this time but don’t bother any more because people get upset and down vote my posts into oblivion…

Yes, this is an interesting project but the README states that you can’t wake the Alexa service by voice but by clicking on a button!

Ask for Weather: Click the Start Listening button.
You: What’s the weather in Seattle? Click the Stop Listening button.
Alexa: Current weather report for Seattle

So it’s not as convenient as the Echo. You have to have a keyboard and mouse to use Alexa on the Raspberry Pi.

Any more details on the new announcement? Even an approx. date? I’m sitting on a down system that probably will need a hub replacement - since it doesn’t appear that anyone in support/dev is working on it (z-wave failure) - so just wondering if it makes sense to wait it out or give in and replace a newly installed and everything just moved over v2 hub with another v2 hub…
Thanks!

Hi Doug,
If you don’t mind me asking, what’s the zwave failure that your getting? The code as well?

It is error 101.

When I restart/reboot the hub I get this:

2016-04-07 7:57:34.734 AM CDT
moments ago HUB Err 101: ZW module not respon… Err 101: ZW module not responding
2016-04-07 7:57:33.499 AM CDT
moments ago HUB Great Room Christmas Tree Lig… Great Room Christmas Tree Lights [12]: Not responding
2016-04-07 7:57:32.251 AM CDT
moments ago HUB Great Room Star [03]: Not res… Great Room Star [03]: Not responding
2016-04-07 7:57:31.520 AM CDT
moments ago HUB Great Room Star [03]: Not res… Great Room Star [03]: Not responding
2016-04-07 7:57:30.466 AM CDT
moments ago HUB hubInfo hardwareID:000D, version:07, … hardwareID:000D, version:07, mac:D0:52:A8:35:7A:32, localip:192.168.90.216, localSrvPortTCP:39500, localSrvPortUDP:0, zigbeeFW…
2016-04-07 7:57:30.426 AM CDT
moments ago HUB ENTITY_UPDATE HubUpdated
2016-04-07 7:57:27.453 AM CDT
moments ago HUB register register register
2016-04-07 7:57:27.425 AM CDT
moments ago HUB ENTITY_UPDATE HubUpdated
2016-04-07 7:57:27.406 AM CDT
moments ago HUB ping ping ping
2016-04-07 7:53:36.845 AM CDT
9 minutes ago HUB hub has disconnected hub has disconnected hub has disconnected

It repeats a few times and then I get:
2016-04-07 8:04:21.635 AM CDT
moments ago HUB zwStatus module failed Z-Wave module failed