An Update Regarding our Hardware

You can use SharpTools with either Hubitat or smartthings. Quite a few people use that for their app substitute.

5 Likes

Sure, but so far that’s identical to the V3 hub, just rebranded. Same thing they did with the Z wave certification.

That’s fine for now, but the question is what will it mean for Zigbee in the future?

Thanks JD, you’ve recommended this before and whilst I have the free account I don’t feel like paying a monthly charge for full access :sob:

1 Like

Also, why is the hub V3 now not available in Canada? They use the North American zwave frequency, the same as the US. Not the EU frequency.

They must be getting ready for the big aeotech push

That’s the point of my question: in the first post they say that the Aeotec partnership is for Europe. Not North America. Those are two different Z wave regions.

3 Likes

must be happening here too, but something like licensing is holding back the announcement.

Maybe there is a different partner for North America.

1 Like

That could very well be

My Sonos integration is working here (UK), depending on if you view that as Europe or not :-). ST v2 hub.

Don’t feel yourself offended. UK is recognized as Europe, only the UK is not recognizing that its part of Europe, that’s why you have to call everyone else in Europe “overseas”. :wink:

I used to live in Scotland for a while. I have got my Hub (v2) from the UK as well and I have a UK Samsung account too, and yes, that works with Sonos. But look at this topic and you will understand what I meant:

And just to note, that the issue is effecting not only Germany, other European countries as well. Make sense? No. The previous integration was available for everybody, without considering, nationality, race or gender…

PS.: The same applies for Smart Lighting as well.

Well… I’m a big Europe fan but UK is “overseas” by definition it’s an island (actually several). Then of course there is “underseas” now as you can get the Channel Tunnel :-). Anyway, off topic. I just hate it when firms start to implement regional zone limitations. Normally profit-driven, segment the markets etc, anti-competitive IMHO. I’m seriously thinking about bailing out of ST to something else (reading other threads), especially if IDE goes too, WebCore etc. And some of my existing Aeotec devices won’t re-pair with ST hub any more since new app ironically, had to retire them (power socket).

1 Like

Unfortunately SmartThings did it from the beginning, as it was really released only to the US and the UK. One of the basic difference from the US to the UK was the GitHub integration. It was implemented in the IDE as a buttom for the US, meanwhile in the UK it can be reached only by using an URL derived from the US way.
Since Samsung things just became worse. As the hubs have been released to more countries but featues has stayed only for the UK and US. Like what I mentioned, the Lock code management feature is available only to the US market, not even to Canada. Smart Lighting and the Sonos integration only the North America and UK, meanwhile the Hub has been released in Europe (actually in Germany it is sold officially), but as you can see some features are not working.

There is actually a completely different list of devices/manufacturers listed in the US and UK.

1 Like

I have been following this for a bit. I haven’t communicated on these forums much but I do follow- I see a lot of red flags here.

I am in real estate as a profession. Smarthome tech is a passion that I leverage,
I guess I would call myself more of a ‘prosumer’ with regards to home products of all kinds which would also include ‘smarthome’ products.

I am also a bit of a Samsung ‘fan boy’ in regards to tvs. I purchase about 5-10 tvs in any given year for various properties. I have been ‘burned’ by Samsung with their promise of support and/or pulling support from various tvs with such things as their Smartthings integration- I did find this distasteful as a consumer and it is well documented if you are not aware it

When Samsung acquired Smartthings- I was supportive. Samsung did do a lot for the platform.

However, Samsung appears to be focusing more and more on the cloud to cloud integrations of the platform, focusing less and less on allowing simple device integration via established protocols, and even blocking basic integration functions within their apps.

4 Likes

Many SmartThings products (e.g., hubs, sensors, etc…) are no longer available in the US.

Kohls stores (not online) are clearance out the st hub v3 right now.

I have never seen ST hub at Kohls stores.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14488286-samsung-smartthings-hub-white-3rd-gen-16-79-ymmv

1 Like

Interesting. I don’t work at Kohls, but I am pretty familiar with what Kolhs stores sells around here. None available around these parts. Maybe that’s why I never saw one at a few of the Kohls I visit. I sort of know people, who know people at Kohls :slight_smile:

Kohls has an “Electronics” department but the selection varies wildly from store to store. I’ve been told that it’s usually bigger in stores that are close to a Target, but I don’t know if that’s true. Or how the pandemic has affected things.