Amazon Echo

Ask your wife to say “Alexa, turn on {name of lamp}”

Everything works great but I just created a virtual switch and alexa doesnt find it when i search for new devices. I changed the device type to several different things like a regular zwave switch but it never comes up when the echo searches! I need to change modes!!!

Also, I have alexa set up to help the babysitter by making it easy to control lights, thermostat, etc… I am going to make a switch with out names (weird for babysitter to say “turn on Adam”) but it will send a text alert to us that the babysitter needs something.

1 Like

Did you relink with smart things and provide authorization to the “new device”?

When you add new devices, you have to grant permission for Alexa to access it. I usually just unlink SmartThings/Echo and then link again and it brings you to the permission page. Has anyone found a quicker way to do this? I know IFTTT there is a smartapp to grant additional devices later on, but not for Echo.

Cool, that’s easy. How about dimming?

“Alexa, dim {name of lamp} to {xx}%”

2 Likes

You are so wise. Works great. Thanks

Any luck turning on a Sonos outside of a Routine? I authorized mine, but Alexa says she can’t find such a device.

You can use existing switches and overwrite their names by creating groups in Echo.

1 Like

I assume I can call both the individual lights (Kitchen Island, Kitchen Ceiling) as well as the group (Kitchen) with Alexa? When I create a group, it doesn’t prevent me calling the individual devices, right?

Right, but will probably get confused.

Yup! The Echo app/processing will translate the group (Kitchen) and send commands to both lights to ST. Those groups will only be available to Echo and you set them in the Settings section under Connected Home.

While I was setting it up from work, my wife went downstairs (I hadn’t told her yet) and said Alexa was just talking. She told her to be quiet…and didn’t actually hear what she said. I assume it was a confirmation that I had linked SmartThings to the account. Either that, or she was lonely and talking to the fridge.

5 Likes

If ST and Amazon can add even more functionality here, I can easily see me purchasing more Echos for around the house. Although, lights are a good start. Yes, I know we can use virtual switches, but that is really a workaround for broader integration. It is nice, though, since you can add almost anything.

1 Like

That’s not a big deal. It’s when the fridge starts talking back that we need to worry about some Skynet-type stuff.

4 Likes

Awesome! Works great and I was able to remove “The” from the front of my switch names (this was needed with the other integration to make the commands match natural speech).

One tip for others doing this is to run “discover devices” from the Alexa app or echo.amazon.com after you do the integration, change names, etc. so Alexa finds everything. If you just complete the integration and don’t discover devices then nothing will work.

Yeah, I made that mistake at first. Not the most obvious. The Echo app should really “wizard” you through the steps and perform a discovery automatically.

I’m assuming there will be an official guide on doing the integration for people who aren’t following this like a pack of wolves. :smile:

Now if Amazon would add Spotify integration my life would be complete…

2 Likes

Hey stalker status has it’s privileges!

This is great. All lights are up and running. THANK YOU ST!!!

Someone knows whether the alexa app is required to set up ST integration. I want to buy the Echo, but as I am located outside US (with no direct way to get the alexa app, as is not available in my local iOS and google store), I don’t want to loose the money!!