Amazon Echo

Works great so for. This was just what I hoped for when I got the Echo to go with my Smartthings hub. Well minus the ability to play “The Imperial March” when I come into the house, but I am sure that wouldn’t go over great with the family anyhow.

Good job guys.

It wasn’t too difficult to figure out. Basically just had to go into the Alexa/Echo app, go to Settings, Connected Home, Link Smart Things (need to log in to your ST account), select Things you want attached, go back to Connected Home and click on “Discover devices”… or you can “Discover Devices” by talking to Alexa.

If your devices don’t have a name that’s convenient, you can create a group and just add that one device… so you can tell Alexa to turn on/off a group with the friendly name. Not sure if you can rename devices.

I just made a new smart app for when you say “Alexa, turn on red” it will send a text to me and my wife that someone needs help at the house. It also turns hue bulbs red for fun.
I tried to set it as “help or alert” but then alexa plays talks about the help menu or trys to set an alert.
Works nice though because i have a 7 button switch in my wall and i colored a button red and made it do the same thing.

I wish we could skype/call alexa though…

As far as I can tell, you need the Alexa app to do the initial SmartThings connection. After that, you should be able to do most everything else by talking to Alexa. Have you tried a service like TunnelBear? It works great for allowing people outside the US to access US services (Netflix, Google Play store, etc) or like people outside the UK to use BBC iPlayer and such. There’s an Android and I think iOS version, if I recall.

1 Like

I believe that you can go to echo.amazon.com in any browser and should have the same functionality as the app. The app is really just a web app.

4 Likes

Ah… good catch, Mitch… assuming there’s no geographic restrictions on that page, it looks like it might work as well.

Has anybody have any issue with dimming switches/light to any percentage that does not end in 0 or 5 once you get into double digits. The same goes for virtual dimmers? Also one of the issues I have encountered is saying dim “X” to 50% and get Alexa saying there is no “X2” device.

Other than that it seems to work great for on/off commands of any switch real/virtual.

Finally!! This is the day I’ve been waiting for since getting my Echo in January. I was HOPING that between the SmartThings open way of doing things and Amazon’s desire to keep expanding the capabilities would equal this integration.

I’m at work but I was easily able to link Echo to ST and then thanks to you guys I ran the discover command via the web interface. Bam and bam! Also thanks guys for the Grouping idea. That will make voice commands a hell of a lot easier, especially when most of my rooms have more than one switch.

This is absolutely the best integration to date (hope for Nest one day) and believe me this will be amazing. I had the IVEE Sleek which had ST and that thing sucked.

2 Likes

I opened amazon echo and i see this…see pic… I assume the announcement is coming soon. May be in few hours.

I just tested it and it works great!!

Awwww, shit!

/20charrrrrrrrr

What? Are you dissapointed or is it more like “oh yea!!!” :slight_smile:

Same here. Was able to setup in 5 minutes. Very easy and works great.

1 Like

I wonder if support for running hello home actions or door locks or mode change will be added later… Right now it seems like just light control is added. Dont know if its even worth adding all that since one can create groups in echo. Thermostat support would be useful… Although there are work arounds for that using virtual dimmers.

Sorry. That was ambiguous. Awwwww, shit. This is exciting news!

1 Like

I am too excited to sleep… Its 5:46 am… Fortunately i am on vacation!!!

I am using virtual switches that trigger Hello, Home actions. Just tested, “Alexa, Turn on Open Blinds”, Closed Blinds, etc. One thing I noticed was Alexa does not understand “Raise Blinds”. I had to change the names of my virtual switch and mode to “Lift blinds”. This works flawless but wish I didn’t have to say “Turn On”, but it’s still awesome.

Also, opening and closing MyQ Garage Doors work by saying “Turn on Garage Door”

Now I can’t wait for the Harmony integration to be fixed, so I can turn on my entertainment system from Alexa!

Amazing how I thought when I was buying the Echo how expensive it was and how much I probably would return it but now use it for Home Automation, shopping lists and timers. It’s a great device.

Works great for me as well. Nice work, SmartThings!!!

1 Like

The native support is led by Amazon, so I doubt we’ll get Hello Home unless it’s under a different name (Routines maybe). Mode and door locks are pretty common in HA so hopefully.

In the meantime, check out @zpriddy’s work in the skill thread. It adds a small “tell ____” step but enables Mode and HH directly without virtual switches.

Woohoo just retired my node hack, running native :smile:

Great first step and nice first class integration.

2 Likes