Alternative to RBOY Apps / or solutions? - Temp management / motion / multiple thermostats

Hi,

Is there a soltuion to replicate the following functionality that RBOY apps had on legacy platform, or can someone assist on developing this for me please?

1. Motion Based Thermostat Temperature Management
    Control your thermostat(s) connecting it to a motion sensor(s). It has 2 modes, operating mode and idle mode. When motion is detected it sets the temperature to the operating modes temperatures as defined by the user (heat mode and cool mode separate) and when there is no motion it sets to the idle temp (energy savings) as defined by the user in the app (heat mode and cool mode seperate). You can also specify a timeout, i.e. minutes to wait when no motion is detected before switching from operating mode to idle mode. It can also use a remote temperature sensor and use an external sensor to switch between heat mode and cool mode (default is auto) and specify a weekly operating schedule. More details with screenshots.

2. Ultimate Mode Based Thermostat Temperature Management
    The most flexible app for configuring individual thermostat(s) based on mode changes. Key features:

• Configure thermostat temperatures for each mode individually or a group all the modes together
  • Configure all thermostats to use a common heating/cooling temperature or each thermostat have its own heating/cooling temperatures.
  • Use a remote temperature sensor
  • Allow for temporary hold (manual changes)
  • Detect open window/door sensors to shut down the HVAC/appliances
  • Lock temperature setpoints (reset changes made on thermostat)
    More details with screenshots.

@RBoy might as well ask rboy himself.

1 Like

There are no equivalents to these former Groovy based apps and there hasn’t been much developed using the new webhooks or plugins architecture. Depending on exactly what you are trying to achieve, ST Routines, Rules API, and/or 3rd party rules engine Sharptools may be able to automate your thermostat(s). If you describe the exact use case(s) you have, we may be able to point you in the right direction.

1 Like

Thanks!

See below for another r post.on what setup.I have and what I’m looking to achieve… I already have a Sharp tools account and have it connected to my SmartThings lab, but unfortunately it will not see the Google Nest in Sharp tools as it does.nit.support ST API.

I need to group the thermostat and the TRVs as one for scheduled temperature modes, but allow for each zone (trv) to be manually override according to a policy as per the below.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Harry

Hi,

Hoping someone could help me with the following, and happy to explore some setup/consultancy to get this working as much as possible if this is am option for someone.

Here is my setup with all devices integrated into SmartThings:

Aeotec ST hub
Google Nest Gen 3 Thermostat
Aeotec Motion Sensor with Temp Sensor
Meross MTS150 Smart TRVs
Meross MS200H Windows/Door sensors
Alpha E-Tec 38KW Combi Boiler with OpenTherm
Amazon Fire 7" tablet / with Action Tiles

What I want to achieve:

Google nest connected to boiler using HeatLink / Opentherm and stowed out the way in the loft - to work as on/off for boiler and modulate hot water calls etc.
Set a maximum temperature for the property that cannot be exceeded - say 21 degrees C
Use the Meross TRVs for individual zone control - set up in ECO, COMFORT and AWAY modes.

ECO - when away from the property or during nightime - set temperature on a schedule
To automatically go to ECO if no motion is detected in the property after 1 hour.

COMFORT - when in the property and motion is being regularly detected (motion sensors in each room)

AWAY - when away for period of time, goes to set temperature / frost protection

For control, i’d like the TRVs to be the main control plane for the property, not the Google Nest. I’d like to use the Amazon Fire 7 to set up a dashboard with the temp and name of each zone so it can easily be seen and updated.

There will be a set schedule for ECO and COMFORT modes - if a manual overide happens during these schedules it will enable it with a hold for 1 hour, then revert back to the current mode in operation.

I’d like open window detection and the room temperature to be governed by the window / door sensors and the temperature sensor in the room, not by the TRVs themselves. The associated zone would shut down to AWAY mode automatically and back on to ECO or COMFORT once closed depending on the schedule in operation.

Lastly, is there a way to use location based services with a key tag / fob (attached to keys) so that the heating can go into ECO mode automatically when it detects it has gone outside 3KM from location, and there is no motion detected inside the property. It will then automatically fire back up to COMFORT mode if it detects the key fob / tag within 3KM on return and can validate with motion once again.

I hope that makes sense, thanks for looking.

Harry

Ah, a continuation of the discussion that you started here. Configuration Design / Consultancy needed for hvac control with ST and Meross TRVs (UK)

So, based on your previous answers, I don’t see a way to do what you want in ST Routines. What you need is going to require variables in order to calculate an aggregate temperature for the entire house based on each zone (if I understand your requirement correctly). Additionally, some of your requirements conflict each other. You said:

• Single set of modes for entire property

But then you also said:

• I’d like open window detection and the room temperature to be governed by the window / door sensors and the temperature sensor in the room, not by the TRVs themselves. The associated zone would shut down to AWAY mode automatically and back on to ECO or COMFORT once closed depending on the schedule in operation.

I think you can accomplish a lot of what you want using Sharptools and although you can’t directly manage your Nest thermostat from there, you can create a virtual thermostat in ST and turn on/off heat mode using Sharptools. You then need some ST Routines to mirror the virtual thermostat mode to the real thermostat.

I wish I could provide you a simple solution, but what you want is a comprehensive HVAC management solution that will require a much more flushed out design and a significant amount of time in developing and testing the many different rules and Routines to implement it.

2 Likes

Hi,

Yes that’s correct.

Actually what I want to achieve is more simple than that I think…

I want the temperature for each zone to be able to be changed on the tablet or TRV itself, up to a maximum if someone chooses to, but reset back to the master programme when it hits the certain time period (COMFORT, ECO, etc) Think of it like a manual override that reverts back to programme after 1 hour if outside the set parameters of the programme.

No need to aggregate temp across the house, I just want the radiators to switch off if they hit the set temperature.

The Nest was chosen as it supports OpenTherm and has an API integrated with Jervis Systems, however Jervis systems can only control all thermostats according to a program.you set at the system level, I don’t think it can do anything outside of this, plus as the Nest and TRVs are not linked if a user calls for more.heat in one.of the TRV zones.it won’t know to switch the boiler on. I think it will work ok for setting a programme at set times, but any manual control beyond operating the nest thermostat will not signal anything to the boiler.

Ideally I’d like a system where thermostat and TRVs are connected, but don’t think this is supported with Jervis or SmartThings. Tado seems to be good for this but no open API for Jervis, and I believe no mainstream support for SmartThings which Jervis can only connect to currently.

It looked like the rboy apps did have the functionality I was hoping for, I guess I’ll have to scale back and accept some compromises for the time being.

Thanks

The bit I am struggling to work out, is how to get the boiler to switch on if a TRV operated zone calls for heat and the Nest is already at the set temperature.

Thanks