Alexa in Q800A soundbar

I recently bought this soundbar, it says it has alexa built in and I also see that it has a microphone mute button like an echo. I can’t get it to work with voice commands.
Is there a way to make it work independently or do I need an echo?

Hey there! @MagoPE, Welcome to the Community! :slight_smile:

I’m assuming the model that you are using is HW-Q800A/ZA, This is the 2021 Sound Bar and you didn’t mention if the device is already set up in the ST App. I just wanted to make sure that you have already onboarded the Sound Bar to Smart Things Application first, and then returned to the Alexa App and Enabled the Smart Things Skill to detect the newly onboarded device. If you already have ST Linked to Alexa App, you would just disable and re-link the Skill. Also be sure to re-name the device to something easy to pick up such as “SoundBar” for example. As the device name will populate as “Samsung SoundBar Q800A” and it may be less of a mouthful to use than "Alexa, turn up the volume on Samsung Sound Bar Q800A’. :sunglasses:

This model does have Alexa Built-in and a Microphone, Devices that have Alexa built-in run the Alexa voice service themselves and can accept Alexa voice commands directly, without the need for a separate Alexa device.

If the item with Alexa built-in doesn’t have any microphones to receive voice commands, it will be able to accept Alexa voice commands via the Alexa app or echos.

I’d give those steps a try and if the symptoms persist.

I hope this message finds you well!

^SamsungZell

1 Like

Thanks for reply, I managed to get my echo dot to play music on the soundbar however what I can’t do is make the soundbar microphone work, I don’t think the problem is the country where I live since the echo dot works perfectly fine.
Do I have to do an extra configuration to make the microphone work or should I contact Samsung support in my country?

I’ve followed up with my products team, and located this information in the User Manual for setting up Alexa Built-In. I just want to provide you with all the steps to ensure that you have completed these as well.

As your needing product support for Sound Bar 800A, I would reach out to your country support team for assistance with the Sound Bar’s Microphone. Additionally, here is the link to locate the best support team: Visit Your Location

I hope this message finds you well!

^SamsungZell

1 Like

Hello, I contacted support and I honestly think they did not understand what I was asking.
Do you know if the function of controlling the bar with Alexa is available in Peru? or where can I find this information? I tried with the button instead of simply saying Alexa but I do not receive a response or any sound, also mention that in the alexa app the bar appears 2 times, a connection via wifi and another directly from the Smart things skill

Unfortunately, I do not have that information. International model devices use a different firmware version that I do not have access to here in the US. The best option would be to continue working with Peru support team at this link: Contáctenos | Samsung PE. Keep in mind that available features vary by region so this may be the root symptom cause for you.

1 Like

Thank you, you were very helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Mago, I’m from Peru and i have tha same problem.
I report the problem with Support Peru how a problem of Mic, but I honestly don’t think that’s the problem.

Please, if you did can find a fix the problem. I appreciatte can shared me your solution and in the same way, if I can find something, I will share it with you.

Regards
Freddy

Hi there, I bought the soundbar in October, when I first set it up I was able to get Alexa working, I could ask things like the temperature, weather forecast, etc. Unfortunately a couple of days ago it won’t do anything
I deleted it from the Samsung smart things app, Alexa app on my phone and I hard reseted it. but still, it won’t work.
I have done lots of research and none of the solutions seems to work, is there a way to know whether there is a problem with the mic or not?