Aeotec Minimote discontinued? (2018)

It appears that the Aeotec minimote is being discontinued in favor of their new nanomote (not yet released). The minimote seems to be sold out just about everywhere in the US, although it’s still in stock in some of the switch packages. And it’s no longer listed on the official products page at the manufacturer. ( it does still seem to be available on the UK frequency)

@TheSmartestHouse can you confirm this?

Cooper Aspire RF syncing master and auxiliary switches

Interesting. It is a bit dated looking now but very functional.

(Mark) #3

And who knows when they’ll actually release the new version.

Hopefully the fact that the minimote can’t really be found anymore means the nanomote is actually coming out soon.

Yes, the Minimote has been discontinued and hasn’t been manufactured for a while now. Aeotec will be releasing their new KeyFobs in the coming months (no details yet), we’ll also carry 2 new remotes from Hank which will probably be an affordable alternative to the Aeotec.

In the meantime, you guys can check out cool Z-Wave remotes from Nodon here.

My concern is that the minimote had additional administrator functionality, and was the easiest way on the SmartThings platform to set up direct associations for battery powered devices, like a zwave motion sensor to turn on a Z wave switch.

The zwave Tweaker works well for mains powered devices, but it doesn’t work with battery powered ones.

It doesn’t look like the new Nanomote will have the extra administrator buttons needed for this functionality ( The ones hidden inside the case of the minimote).

It may be that with zwave plus this functionality was less useful with the minimote as well, as as more and more devices need to be associated across multiple groups, but still I think it’s going to leave a gap. :disappointed_relieved:

Since we don’t have any details about the NanoMotes, it’s hard to say if they’ll have any of these features, but as we mentioned before, you can use the Nodon remotes just like your MiniMote, they can be used to easily add and remove devices from your ST hub, and they can also be used to associate devices from the remote, just like the Minimote did. The Soft Remote comes in a variety of cool colors and is magnetic so it will stick to a metal surface, and the Octan has a magnetic base that can be mounted on a wall like a light switch.
If you’d like to give them a try, we issued a special code for ST users, enter NODONST at check-out to get 10% off.

Click here for the custom handler for the Soft remote.
Click here for the custom handler for the Octan remote.

Excellent news, thank you. :sunglasses:

UPDATE: We just verified that functionality with the manufacturer and it turns out the Nodon remotes can only associate devices in the standalone mode but will not do that in the gateway mode (so if being used with a host hub like SmartThings). We requested from Nodon that this feature would be added in the future but have not yet received a confirmation.

It doesn’t look like there’s currently a remote that would send the Association command to the network the way the MiniMote did. The NanoMotes don’t seem to have that functionality anymore either. We’ll keep looking though!

My guess is that this feature will not be available on any Z wave plus devices because of the changes Zwave plus made in how association works and the new requirement of the lifeline group.

That would make sense, we’ll reach out to Z-Wave Alliance to verify this!

The only change with Z-Wave Plus was to require reporting of lifeline events to the nodes in Association Group 1, and that all controllers must SUPPORT and CONTROL associations. The only thing preventing a node (whether it be controller or device) from being able to set up associations is whether it CONTROLS the Association Command Class. Neither the Soft Remote or the OCTAN remote by Nodon controls association, but they do Central Scene and Scene Activation which is a more powerful thing for use with newer controllers. Most of the newer products are going to support Central Scene now instead of associations, but that is not anything to do with Z-Wave Plus requirements; it is because Central Scene allows the main gateway controller to do the heavy lifting - with associations, a device has to know all of the command classes for the devices it could control, otherwise it has to use the BASIC command class which can - as the name implies - get the job done but without all of the bells and whistles that may be in the command class.

For example, a remote sends a Central Scene frame to a central gateway letting it know that button 3 was pressed. The gateway can then be told to turn on 3 other devices and unlock the front door, and one of those devices raise the light level over a period of 60 seconds. If the remote used associations, then it could only control the door lock if it was also added to the network securely, and it could not tell a light to turn on over a period of 60 seconds unless it supported the Scene Activation command class or the advanced features of the Switch Multilevel command class.

So Central Scene does a better job of reporting to the main (central) gateway which button was pressed (because you do not always get that detail with associations) and it allows for more complex things to happen by the gateway than what the device could normally do.

It’s a very good point. There’s no question that central scenes are much more powerful than direct association, and we are seeing more and more devices using those command sets.

However, there is still one thing that direct association can do that central scenes cannot, and that’s make sure that the desired linkage still works even if the hub is not working.

That can be particularly useful for a virtual three-way with light switches. It’s not something you would ever want to suspend, so you don’t need the extra features of central scene management, But it does mean the auxiliary switch will continue to trigger the master switch even if the hub is unavailable.

Smartthings has had an Outage at least once a month for each of the last 18 months except, I think, January 2017. In addition, they can and do push out maintenance updates typically a couple of times a month, which customers can neither refuse nor delay. These take the hub off-line, sometimes only for a couple of minutes, but sometimes for several hours. So many people do use direct association as part of their outage planning, particularly for virtual three-way lighting set ups. So the feature remains relevant.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Bug:_First_Reports

Just verified with Aeon labs, the Minimote is End-of-life and there is no existing or planned direct replacement for it.

I guess I will have to cherish my V.1, because it is the only device that lets me program a virtual 3-way switch without relying on my hub. I need the switches in my house to work, even if Smartthings is offline.

You can use the zwave tweaker device type handler to set associations on any mains powered Z wave device. In fact it lets you do much more than the minimote since you can also set parameter values. Just temporarily change the DTH for the device to the tweaker, make the changes you want including setting association groups, then change back to your everyday DTH. It works very well. :sunglasses: