Aeotec Aeon Smart Switch 6

search I wrote a device driver that has a little more fx , swtill everything is not working but you can change modes

Iā€™d like to use one of these to tell if my TV is on or off (not to control it directly) and base actions off of that. Is that something Iā€™d be able to do with the base implementation of the device in Smartthings or am I going to need to dig into tweaking the devicetype?

Are you able to elaborate on which capabilities cannot be supported at this time? Also, does this mean that no one could build a custom device type to support these unsupported capabilities due to limitations of the ST backend? Iā€™m not a developer (more of a data person), so my questions may seem a bit elementary. Thanks!

I donā€™t think it has anything new that cannot be supported. :frowning: Have gone thru itā€™s capabilities. Probably itā€™s like let things settle down first! Any device handler expert can probably do it with their expertise. :wink: NO SARCASM INTENDED. I kind of wonder how come itā€™s not a popular product in the community.

I believe hue changing cannot be supported.I have been talking to aeon and apparently hue changing is not working using the proprietary fx they supposedly implemented. They recommend using the stock color changing class, but the device only supports v1 and as far as I have been able to tell smartthings only supports v3 of the color changing class. I have also been unable to get dimming working

@lgkahn I was just about to start working on modifying the Smart Switch device to control the colors supported by this switch. I at least want to be able to turn them on/off. Can you share the code you have for this device ?

search on my name the source is posted. here

here is the link
http://mail.lgk.com/myaeonswitch6v1.1.txt

please let me know if you get the color or brightness controls working.

1 Like

@Lgkahn

I see your code used a ā€œcolorā€ tile. Is the ā€œcolorā€ selector tile documented ? I want to add a label to this tile but it isnā€™t working. I didnā€™t even know that tile existed. I hope it will keep working since it is undocumented :smile:

I have this code mostly working. Here is my beta device code.

thanks by comparing yours and mine figured out my problem the issue was the color fx can not have any line after the setconfig not even a log.debugā€¦ go figureā€¦ weirdā€¦ I am posting the new version of fine as I got the color and brightness sliders working

Cool, actually the version you posted to me above had a lot wrong with it. You were passing the value of size 4 as a single BigInt instead of an array of bytes. Thatā€™s why I just started my device code over from scratch. I found too many issues in the copy above. The new copy you posted looks better but I think I will stick with mine and keep moving forward with it. I also find cut/paste from text file into ide makes a mess of the formatting :frowning:

Did you see my question about the color tile ? I am not sure I like using it but I would like to know if it is documented anywhere. How did you find that ?

Ya I know but I tried it that way too. I even tried size 3ā€¦ the documentrarion says it us a long intā€¦ wish they could get the docs right. I found the color tile in one of the rgb light drivers.

Actually I think aeonā€™s engineering spec is mostly spot on. I think the fact that you have to split the bytes into an array is a ST thing. I have written and modified a few drivers and have always needed to do this. In fact sometimes you have to take a large number and spit it into high and low order bytes. This one is easier because each byte is actually a different value so you can simply write [ red, green blue ] and it works.

here is my contribution. v 0.4 is current as of today.

support secure inclusion, brightness level changes, color control for the night light, led behavior switching, and a full readout of electrical properties and reporting interval.

There is really very little left to create parameters for. If anyone thinks I need to add an option to report based on thresholds which is set to do so by default, I can do that. Itā€™s a pretty chatty device as is.

3 Likes

Thanks for the code Robert.

I am attempting to use the Smart Switch 6 (SS6) to provide a color indication of the state of my Smart Home Monitor (SHM). I tried using Smart Lights to do this based on modes, but it would not change the color of the SS6 no matter what I did.

Next, I installed Rule Machine to provide the control and programmed three rules to trigger on the three different states of the SHM, and the Action for each rule was to change the color of the SS6. In Rule Machine, the Action was ā€œSet color for these bulbs,ā€ and the SS6 showed up in the list of potential targets without any issues. The color of the SS6 light never changed when these were run. Just to double check, I programmed another rule to depend upon Condition instead of a Trigger for the SHM state, but this still would not change the color of the ring.

I can manually change the color of the ring in the Things view without any problem, but cannot seem to get any automation of the color change. I have the device in the ā€œNightlightā€ mode.

Anyone have an idea or found a way to make this work? I like the compactness and simplicity of using the LED ring as a system status indicator, and it feels like it should work somehow.

As mentioned above, this device works with Smartthings (for me version 1 of the hub) using the Aeon Smart Energy Switch device type. Press action button labeled in the following manual and connect the deviceā€¦ http://www.homecontrols.com/homecontrols/products/pdfs/AE-AeonLabs/AEZW096A02-Manual.pdf

Adding the custom device should help, yes.

Robert,

Thanks for your work. I have added my 2 smart switches as custom devices using your code. I am unable to change the LED color. Do I have to set the LED Behavior = 2 to change the color. Also does the configure button work within the ST app?

color change only works in ā€œnightlight modeā€ The other modes use colors to represent power levels and they are not changeable.

going through my messagesā€¦ seems ST emails get lost in my sea of emails these days.

Yeah, the color change is only for the night light mode as @Ron says. As far as changing the color using a smart app, I have never tried to do it. Also my switch died mysteriously after having controlled my air purifier for quite some time. I blame it on my wifeā€™s hair straightener and hair dryer which are on the same circuitā€¦ Perhaps Aeon didnā€™t built surge suppression into the units? I do have surge suppressors everywhere and even a whole home one on the panelā€¦ butā€¦ I digress.

I think what would need to happen is for a handler to be created inside the device type to receive and translate the color commands coming from the smart app. The reason you see it in your apps is because it has the capability ā€œcolor controlā€. This ma create a bit of a false sense of functionality though. In my device type I take the RGB selector in the device screen and translate that to the RGB codes used in the configuration parameter that corresponds to the night light color. That was the cleanest way i could hack that into the UI. For a bulb, when you select the color and saturation and color temp, etc, it translates that into a Z-wave command class for color control and throws that at the bulb which in turn does the workā€¦ What weā€™d need is sort of the opposite here. Code that would parse the command coming in from the smart app and translate that into the configuration parameter like Iā€™m doing nowā€¦ so instead of an action / command from the tile, it would be parsing the command from the app. There should be some reusable code in the device type to accomplish that, but I could only test with my dimmer. Also making the time to do this is tough with current job / family obligations. Hopefully this helps someone else figure it out until / if I ever get to it.

Hereā€™s my contribution as well, it is based on existing code. Iā€™ve added a preference screen, allowing to set the param and time interval as well as other couple other switches. Brighness color level got fixed as well.