Aeon Labs Minimote with SmartThings?

You need to update the firmware. Go to the Aeotech website and you can find it there. It takes a minute or two.

After that, it should work.

Is there any way to determine my Minimote’s current firmware version?

Not that I know of, but upgrading the firmware is pretty easy.

Has anyone gotten their minimotes to work with the new V2 hub, and the new v2 android app?
My buttons are not calling the assigned switches.

I upgraded the firmware to v1.18, and also tried 1.19, I did a remote reset (holding down the blank button and the join button), included the remotes with smartthings and used the button controller to assign tasks to each button, but with all 3 remotes that I tried I never get any response when I press the buttons.

My remote are working with the new version of the Android App… but they were just migrated in. I do have another remote that I’m expecting to come today to add to myself. I wasn’t planning to add until I upgrade to Hub 2.0 next week, but I can try adding it to my current Ver.1 hub just to see if a new remote and App 2.x work.

There is no relationship whatsoever between minimotes working and which flavor of mobile app you are using. If they aren’t working with Android, they wouldn’t work with iOS either. Turn on Live Logging in the IDE to see if your Minimote is sending button presses, and work from there to see what isn’t happening that should happen.

V2 mobile app in no way affects Minimote functionality. I can’t say from personal experience, but I seriously doubt that hub V2 affects Minimote functionality either.

1 Like

I just received my Minimotes (old version), upgraded the firmware to 1.19, added them to the network, and used the button controller to assign lights. Works fine, had no problems.

Forgot to add, using V2 hub and new Android app.

Thanks to ks712, Bravenel and chrisb. I was trying to rule out some of the variables to why they are not working.

I have updated them and reset the remotes. Removed then and re added them to the v2 hub.
THey appear as devices and I set up the smartapp button controller. At that point is when they do not seem to work. I do have a vera lite setup in the house as well, but I do not see that causing an issue, and no clicks seem to be registering in the IDE in history, but I will look to enable live logging now. (I now have 6 remotes, some on v1.18 and some on v1.19)

I was trying to find where I can enable live logging, and realised you had to enable developer mode first.

@Adam_B have you tried reaching out to SmartThings support? It seems they are a bit swamped right now, so they might take a while to respond, but it’s worth logging the issue with them.

Also, @obycode and others have had similar issues with their V1 Minimotes with Hub V2. It looks like Brice got his to work after updating the firmware on his remote, but it sounds like you’ve already done that. (Other people are seeing erratic pairing issues with their remotes as well, so it’s probably best to report it to support)

I have a V2 Hub, didn’t have a hub before that.
I have 1 v2 minimote and 3 v1 minimotes.
All work well at triggering lights or routines through button controller smart apps.
I did use the v2 minimote to exclude devices from my previous zwave network before it was part of my new network (old network was not a V1 Hub and minimote was not part of that network).

Only problems I had was one evening my button presses didn’t seem to be controlling my lights, and then about 5 minutes later they played out like they were queued up. Later that night I appeared to be having internet connectivity problems so I would relate it to that.

does this work normally since then? i just got mine and one of my lights don’t seem to work right.

I have not had any other problems.

thanks - something with my outlet, or mote perhaps. i’ve reached out to ST.

turns out it was in fact related to my outlet. I had to “reboot it” sort of by cutting power to it for about a minute (i threw the breaker off and waited, then turned it back on). I read it somewhere on here that some of the GE outlets stop reporting status. Mine was exhibiting similar behaviors. that little reboot seemed to do it.

I have a Minimote v1 paired with SmartThings hub v2 and everything works except for button 1. When I press that button, I noticed that both the blue and red LEDs light up for about one second and then goes off. It’s much slower than when I press any other button where the blue and red LEDs will flash very quickly. When I check the SmartThings log, it never receives the button 1 presses. It does show buttons 2-4. I have tried resetting, unpaired, repaired, and reinstalled the 1.19 firmware. Nothing seems to fix the problem. Button 1 did work for awhile when I had it paired with the SmartThings hub v1. I just recently upgraded to hub v2. Do you think something has gone bad? Defective?

Are you using the remote with it still connected via USB to your computer by chance? I saw very wonky behavior, similar to yours, when it was connected to a laptop via USB. When I unplugged it, it started to work perfectly.

It might be defective, or you could try excluding it, resetting it, and re-including it. Ordinarily, a simple button push should result in the blue light lighting while the button is pushed, and possibly a short red flash. If both flash repeatedly, something is wrong. If you hold down a button for about two seconds, the blue light should stay on while held, and then flash twice.

Sounds like yours is defective, or at least not included successfully.

Well, I decided to reset it again, exclude it, and include it back. This time none of the buttons worked, they all acted like button one did originally. So I thought I should try it one more time but this time I did it standing about a foot away from the hub. Well, whaddayano, it worked! All four buttons are now behaving as they should. The mysteries of z-wave. I’m glad I don’t have to hassle sending it back now. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Hey, I wanted to check in again, I am still unable to get my remotes pairing with the hub. I have been in touch with Smartthings Support since mid Sept, and they have not been able to do anything yet.

I have updated the firmware, reset the remote using the bottom two buttons, added a new device via the app, and then pressing the join button (bottom right)

The remote is found by the app, but there is an error in the log, and once added none of the buttons show as presses in the live log.

Main error log:
‘java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 3’ encountered parsing 'cmd: upda, payload: ted’
03067136-6220-47a8-b9bd-e55dec61991b 1:21:17 PM: error java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: “1B” @ line 94

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried this in IOS and Android, and on 5 different remotes :frowning:

Full Log:

9d6e2ab9-b942-4e63-af8e-8eed30903005 1:21:23 PM: trace cp desc: zwStatus:ready:Z-Wave device inclusion finished
663af79e-88fb-43dc-84ac-64579a00d585 1:21:17 PM: trace cp desc: zwStatus:include search:Z-Wave include search started
9d6e2ab9-b942-4e63-af8e-8eed30903005 1:21:17 PM: trace cp desc: zwStatus:include search:Z-Wave include search started
663af79e-88fb-43dc-84ac-64579a00d585 1:21:17 PM: trace cp desc: Aeon Minimote updated
9d6e2ab9-b942-4e63-af8e-8eed30903005 1:21:17 PM: trace cp desc: Aeon Minimote updated
03067136-6220-47a8-b9bd-e55dec61991b 1:21:17 PM: warn Exception ‘java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 3’ encountered parsing 'cmd: upda, payload: ted’
03067136-6220-47a8-b9bd-e55dec61991b 1:21:17 PM: error java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: “1B” @ line 94
663af79e-88fb-43dc-84ac-64579a00d585 1:21:16 PM: trace cp desc: Thing added
9d6e2ab9-b942-4e63-af8e-8eed30903005 1:21:16 PM: trace cp desc: Thing added
663af79e-88fb-43dc-84ac-64579a00d585 1:21:16 PM: trace cp desc: zw device: 4A, command: 7205, payload: 00 86 00 01 00 03
9d6e2ab9-b942-4e63-af8e-8eed30903005 1:21:16 PM: trace cp desc: zw device: 4A, command: 7205, payload: 00 86 00 01 00 03
663af79e-88fb-43dc-84ac-64579a00d585 1:21:16 PM: trace cp desc: zwStatus:ready:Z-Wave device inclusion finished