Aeon Labs Minimote with SmartThings?

As I mentioned, I already tried this.

Hi Guys

I just received the Lighting Automation Kit. It includes a Aeon Minimote. Mine has the same shape as the one in the store but the buttons under the cover are labeled quite differently (big-plus, big-minus, blank and join). I start the button controller smartapp. It does not see a button controller. I press the Join button. The hub detects the Minimote but the button controller smartapp says “a device has joined but the wrong type”. I have a button controller in the things panel with an exclamation point next to it.

What is going on? Did they ship the wrong minimote?

Frustrated especially as I bought the kit directly from Smartthings thinking I would avoid incompatibilities.

George

There are two button styles out there but they should work the same. So you have this one?

http://www.zwaveproducts.com/images/cache/1001x1220/AeonMinimote_V1_1.jpg

I haven’t seen these same symptoms before. Normally it is that the devices battery is dead on arrival and it needs to be charged for a while. It should join as device type “Aeon Minimote”. You can check this in the IDE site by going to My Devices and looking at the Minimote.

If it looks like the right device type then I would try removing it and re-joining it again. Let us know your results.

1 Like

According to this page, it sounds like you got version 1 and version 2 can be seen here with version 1 seen below the main product:

http://www.zwaveproducts.com/Zwave-Controllers/Zwave-Remotes/Aeon-Labs-Z-Wave-Minimote-DSA03202W-ZWUS-White.html

And here’s version 1 (and a nice comparison chart below it) and they state it has the same functionality if you flash the firmware:

http://www.zwaveproducts.com/Zwave-Controllers/Zwave-Remotes/Aeon-Labs-DSA03202-v1-Z-Wave-Minimote.html

2 Likes

Hi RichardH

Big Kudos for solving the problem!

Much thanks for taking the time

Best
George

Tyler: You may have already notice; but there’s a Thread that is entering charted and uncharted territory discussing the concept of Scenes and their relationship to Hello Home ™ Actions. I realize there’s a lot of overlap between the concepts, but I think it is too early to dismiss one way of thinking over the other.

In other words, for example: In Hello Home Actions you can turn on a set of lights and set them all to the SAME dimmer level. I’d much rather capture the set of lights along with their individually set dim levels (like Scene Machine does), and then have that “Scene Object” be activatable throughout the system (i.e., from a Hello Home Action or other Event / Virtual Button or Minimote Button).

This is pretty exciting news - being able to use a remote (secondary) to initiate ST actions. Has anyone tried doing this with the GE Keypad Controller (45631)? If so it would be a way around the node#32 limit on the 45631.

@ChuckV

Have you checked out this thread:

1 Like

I have released a beta SmartApp that uses the Aeon Labs Aeotec Minimote as a PIN entry device (“Security Keypad”). It will also work with other multi-button controllers like the ZWN-SC7 Enerwave 7 Button Scene Controller

As a side benefit, you could install multiple instances of the app and if each has a distinct PIN sequence, your minimote can now control 16 actions (2-button PIN), or 64 (3-button PIN), or 256 (4-button PIN), etc.

Read more, follow, test, and contribute here:

…CP / Terry.

2 Likes

I too was experiencing frustration with the minimote. I got a version 1 for $25 to control my living room lights. Out of the box it joined my ST network just fine. Smart app set up for button click and hold etc, etc, …and nothing…buttons did not turn on or off any of the 3 lights that I had set up.

I started looking into the issue and found these threads. I had already updated the firmware with the latest version I could find (minimote-US-1-19-A) as noted here and the problem persisted - I was about to send the thing back. It wasn’t until I read this that I realized that there was a version 2 of the minimote out there and that perhaps I flashed the wrong firmware. I went back and got version minimote-V1-18-US and updated again. Problem solved and it works great now.

So thanks for at least getting me thinking in the right direction and heads up to those updating the firmware.

Thanks!

p.s.
here is where you can get the v1-18 version of the firmware that fixed my problem with the version 1 minmote (the cheap one!):

http://www.zwaveproducts.com/Zwave-Controllers/Zwave-Remotes/Aeon-Labs-DSA03202-v1-Z-Wave-Minimote.html

Go to the DOCUMENTATION TAB next to the Description and Spec tabs and there is a link to download the file there.

Good Luck and let me know if it works for you.

Cheers,

4 Likes

Thanks MJW … this step really make it works for my case.

1 Like

Just got one of these and its great. I got the v1 as they are pretty cheap (just ordered 2 more) already set up to do 8 different actions dependent on long or short press.

Is there any advantage to upgrading the firmware?

1 Like

If it’s working with ST, you probably already have the newest firmware. I’m of the “ain’t broke, don’t fix it school” for most things. :wink: So if it’s working now, I’d leave it. If it’s not working, flash the firmware.

1 Like

Thanks for that I shall leave it alone as its working great.

The firmware worked for me as well!

Currently I have the Minimote in the bedroom for my wife to use (since I work a bunch of nights). Here’s how I have it configured:

Button 1: Press for bedroom lights on/off, hold for all lights on in the house
Button 2: Press for ‘Home’ mode
Button 3. Press for ‘Away’ (arm sensors, doors, and alarm)
Button 4. Hold for Panic mode (turns on all lights, siren, and sends a text to me that the panic button has been pushed)

For $25 spent on the remote, it really helps with your significant other to justify the other $$$$ spent on Smartthings sensors/switches and installing them without having to fumble through your phone to get stuff to work!

3 Likes

What smartapp you use on ST app ?

@nico89s ButtonController.

1 Like

In the SmartSetup section, go to the last section “More”. Go to Convenience. There is a “use Devices with buttons” in there. You can configure the button presses in there.

Yea, don’t upgrade to the “latest”, that’s what broke it for me until I rolled it back to the v1-18 version. If it’s working now, leave it alone.

I just bought a minimote v1. I’m suffering from high latency and unreliable notification to ST (need to press many times before ST responds), before and after upgrading to the latest firmware. By comparison, I also have the Aeon multi-sensor, and its PIR state change notifications are much faster and more robust.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? I wonder if I should try my luck with a second v1 or buy a v2.