Aeon Labs Energy Meter clamps

I got one of these (Aeon Labs HEM v1) and updated the firmware and was able to get it connected to hub and the Device Type associated… but not currently working.

I’ve had a couple messages in an old thread electric company related thread, which I’m moving to here because it is more topical:

I’m no expert on my circuit breaker box, but have a basic understanding of what two phase house input wires should look like … two thick wires incoming from the electric company meter (and one thick common neutral).

Close enough (but not exactly) what is depicted on Aeon website:

There may be some more detailed PDF documentation somewhere (not in the package!), but this seems clear:

However: Let’s say only one clamp is working – would that clamp be able to read anything from the one phase? Or must both clamps be functioning?

Is there anyway to build a test setup against a standard 120v extension cord (well… one clamp around the hot wire, other around the neutral, …?).

Thanks for the link – It is much more practical (and safer!) to debug this with a little 120v cord line rather that poking around in main circuit box.

The Device was recognized automatically by SmartThings as:

No configuration errors, but no meaningful events:

But I don’t know if the selected Device Type is the correct one (it is a v1 of the meter, and I upgraded the firmware before adding to network). I only see one Aeon Home Energy Meter Device Type available published.

Yup. “Clicking” the configure tile does not appear to do anything, but that’s a user-interface limitation, I suppose. It should change color for a few moments or something!

But the detailed event log shows configure requests. I’ll have to put this aside for a bit until I splice up an old extension cord to test & debug with…

…CP / Terry.

1 Like