Adorne Hack and Newbie questions

You can hold the join button for two seconds after its joined to switch modes or use the custom device I wrote for them and set it via preferences.

Okay so one way is to push that little button once it is all hooked up and that will do the other way is your protocol that you wrote. Two questions now
A) which one is easier
B) how do you apply your protocol

Since you’ve not installed a custom device type before the button on the aeon will be easier.

@Mike_Maxwell Hey Mike thanks for the picture last night. It gives me a better idea of the size. I was re-reading this thread and watched your 3 way dimming video that you had posted. You had mentioned that the Dimmers do not accept 120v so you need to add in a relay to prevent the popping of the dimmer. Here is my question the specs on the me Generation 2 are showing that it will handle 120v now and I looked at their support page and found this link for the Generation 2 dimmer install. They are showing it is a direct wire now. Am I reading this right or am I wrong?

http://aeotec.com/z-wave-in-wall-switches/877-micro-sei-2e-manual-instructions.html

The instructions in the link you provided do not show a three way configuration for the dimmer module.
Where is the reference you refer to?

The relay is required is you are using momentary push button switches, this hasn’t changed.
The wiring diagrams are here:
http://aeotec.com/support/1218-micro-dimmer-wiring-schematics.html
They do not support live (120vac) switching for the dimmers.

second paragraph reads:
No Live Wires on the External Switch: For the Micro dimmer, you cannot have any live wires connected to the external switch or you will burn the micro out.

@Mike_Maxwell hey Mike. I just got my first second gen Aeon dimmer in the mail and planing to install it today. Quick first question. What do I do with the ground wire ?

Nothing
, the aeons don’t use a ground.

@Mike_Maxwell okay Mike here is my wire bundles. I have 2 black and a 3 wire bundle of whites. Are my whites the neutral

Ok, do you know what goes where?
I usually use an inductive voltage detector to figure out what’s what

I was assuming the 3 white are the neutral since they are tied off. I don’t have a voltage thingy.

If you’re going to install these, you need to get one.
It’s not a good idea to do mains electrical work based on the colors of the wires alone.
I certainly won’t give wiring advice based on pictures, while there are conventions and code rules, there are liberties taken some times, and then there are “homeowner specials”, which can be the wild west

Guess I’m going to go get a voltage tester then. I have to switch out the box because it isn’t wide enough to fit the module in or deep enough if I go vertical.

Go with a plastic one, it’s better for the radio in the module.

@Mike_Maxwell okay here is what I have the black wire with Red tape lights up red on the tester, the black with the yellow tape remains green on the tester and the bundle of white remains green on the tester.

So I am assuming the Black with red is the load.

Not sure what the green light on this tester indicates, but if red light indicates live, then your black with red tape is live, and the load is the black with yellow.
Neutral is the bundle of whites.

1 Like

@Mike_Maxwell the green indicates it is work the red light and sound means it is a live wire.

So basically the Black/red go into the left “L” connection. The Black/yellow (load) go into the right connection area that says “load” above it and then I run a split from the whites to the first “N” connection.

On the switch side I then run a second set of wires from the micro to the switch.

By the way thank you so very much for all your help, advice and patience. If you lived close by I would be bringing you a case of beer.

1 Like

@Mike_Maxwell Mike thanks for all the help and advice this weekend.

It was a success I managed to replace the box and get everything in it. Was a pain mind you to get the micro, the wires and the new adorne tap switch in but managed it. By the way the Adorne Push swith does work.

Once again thank you for your help, guidance and most of all patience.

1 Like