Adding AEOTEC Range Extender 6 (zwave plus)

I’m trying to extend my zwave network to two other buildings with Schlage Home Keypad Lock (FE599). I purchased two AEOTEC Range Extender 6s. They pair with my SmartThings Hub v2 as RGBW light bulb. I have used IDE to change the device handler to zwave generic device. However, I don’t think the devices are extending the zwave. When I do a network repair, these two device fail to update the mesh info.

Is anyone using this device successfully with a Hub v2? Any suggestions on how to make this device work correctly? I have tried removing them and adding them back into the network several time. No luck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Michael

The single purpose range extenders were useful back in the third generation of zwave when not every device ran at full power. But now that we are at the fifth generation (Z wave plus) , these devices don’t do anymore than any other mains powered Z wave device does. So instead, you might as well just get a zwave plus light switch or pocket socket or plug-in sensor and get double use out of the device, you will get the same “extend the mesh” result.

That said, your other devices won’t know they are supposed to use any new repeater unless you run a Z wave repair utility after you install the new repeater. They’ll just continue to use their old neighbor tables.

So when is the last time you ran the zwave repair utility? And what were the results? Also, the utility should complete fairly quickly, but it takes time for each individual device to update its own neighbor tables, so you may not see improvements until the next day. So be patient when evaluating the impact of new repeaters.

You might find the following FAQ helpful. Read post 11 first, then go back and read the whole thread. (this will also give you more information about the Z wave repair utility.)

As far as reaching your other buildings, you might also find the following how to in the community – created wiki helpful:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Automate_an_Outbuilding

The range extender is gen6 with zwave plus. I have repaired the network several time. The extenders always fail to update the mesh info and route.

Michael

– sometimes chicken, sometimes feathers!

It sounds like they are physically too far away from the next nearest repeater.

If you leave one close to the hub and run the repair, does it still have the error messages?

(BTW, it’s not gen 6 of zwave. Zwave itself is only up to gen 5, which is usually sold under the marketing name of “Z wave plus.” The “6” refers to the sixth version of Aeotec’s model, not to the Z wave chip itself.)

I’ve got the same problem…ir shows up as a RGBW led bulb… I would settle with a standard Z-Wave extender that is available but how do I change it?

I am having the exact same problem. I have a light switch that occasionally says unavailable, so I thought maybe range was an issue so I bought the the ZW117 repeater and out it in between the hub and the switch. It discovered as an RGBW bulb so I have no idea if its doing anything or not.

What can I do to fix this?

Any ideas anyone?

Your post wasn’t clear – – what do you mean “fix this”?

A repeater will work pretty much regardless of what device type the pairing process selects, so that shouldn’t be a problem. The repeating function doesn’t turn on and off even if it looks like it’s a switch. It’s just always on as long as the device is on power.

Did you run a Z wave repair after you added the device? That’s the only way to get your other devices to use it as a repeater.

Wait until tomorrow to run it, though, because the entire platform is having problems right now. :disappointed_relieved:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/200981864-How-do-I-make-sure-my-Z-Wave-devices-are-routing-optimally-in-the-SmartThings-Classic-app-

Having the same issue. 100+ year old house - where I need the extender is on the old wiring and the electrician can’t put a smart outlet.

Older posts indicate that this is suppose to be red to show it is paired. Is that still true?
It blinks green, like it is still trying to do something, even after it paired as a light bulb. Continues after I changed it to be a Z-Wave Relay.

Z-Wave network repair has not helped.

Anyone get this to work lately?

According to the manual, when you plug it in and tap the button, it should flash green repeatedly while searching for the hub. When it connects, it turns a solid green for 2 seconds. However, if it turns red for 2 seconds and then shows multiple colours, then that means that it was unable to join the Z-wave network.

I initially ran into trouble with my device, but then I just put the hub in device exclusion mode, pressed the repeater button and that did the trick. I added it to the hub easily after that.

Had no problem adding Aeotec Range Extender 6 to my SmartThings V2 hub.

When plugged in it started running the LED thru multiple colors. Pressing the button caused it to start flashing green. It paired to the hub quickly, turned solid green for a couple of seconds then the LED went off. Device type in SmartThings web IDE shows it as “Z-Wave Range Extender”.

@JDRoberts, I don’t completely agree that range extenders have no place now. I’m just starting my my SmartThings build-out and needed a signal boost from the hub to the first two smart switches I installed (Zooz ZEN26).

As it happens there’s an outlet behind a cabinet that’s unusable for actually plugging in anything. It happens to be about half-way between the hub and the problem location. A repeater stuck in there was just what I needed. Cheaper than a pocket socket and easier than putting in an smart outlet.

If you can get it cheaper than a pocket socket, then, sure, you can use it. But it’s no different then a pocket socket in terms of its repeating capabilities.

I can almost always find a less expensive pocket socket. Zwave products has one right now that’s eight dollars, although it’s classic zwave, not Z wave plus.

Monoprice Typically has one that includes a dumb USB port at the same price as the Aerotec extender:

https://www.zwaveproducts.com/shop/z-wave-lighting/z-wave-plugin-modules/2gig-z-brdg-433-2-gig-z-bridg-plug-in-lamp-dimmer-2gig-z-brdg-433

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15654

I expect ring will probably add one for their security system later this year.

So it just depends on what you can find. But I’d rather have the switch options.

1 Like

I started my Smart Things setup about 9 months ago.

I bought a Samsung Smart Outlet for my Schlage, only to find out this week that the outlet didn’t support Z-Wave.

So I bought an Aeotec Extender. After having some (or numerous) random attempts, I got mine to pair with my v3 hub.

The Extender shows on the Samsung API website.

But then I unplugged the Extender to place it where I want, and there’s nothing on the Extender that shows that it’s working. I was expecting a green lit LED on the button or something.

Help? anyone?

Thanks

If it’s on your network, it’s repeating. It’s really that simple.

Note that since you moved it physically, you should run a Z wave repair utility so that other devices on the network will be aware of its new location. :sunglasses:

I tried to add one of these yesterday multiple times, even 6 feet from my hub and it doesn’t show up…I’ve reset it twice, I’ve made sure it was excluded (how did it get included in the first place??) and it still doesn’t show up as added anywhere…the smartthings app stays at 30% of adding it. Any thoughts on this?

Not to beat a dead horse, but… I’m having the exact same problem! Per the Aeotec instructions, I first tried pairing my Aeotec Range Extender 6 (ZW117) at the location where I intended to use it. After multiple attempts, I determined that that wasn’t working. So … I moved it closer … and closer … and closer … to the SmartThings v3 Hub. Still no luck! Eventually, I tried pairing them with the Range Extender about a foot away from the Hub. No dice! Then, I remembered an article JD had written which discussed the internal placement of both the Z-Wave and ZigBee antennas in the ST Hub and the implications of same, so, in frustration, I tried pairing the Extender from all four sides of the Hub from various (fairly close) distances. Again, abject failure in all attempts!

BTW: I have successfully paired various other Z-Wave and ZigBee devices to my SmartThings v3 Hub, and everything works just great. So much so, that I have just launched in Phase 2 of my Smart Home project.

Now, I know JD IS NOT a big fan of range extenders, and I DO UNDERSTAND that any powered Z-Wave device will act as a repeater/extender; but sometimes Z-Wave Range Extenders do have their place as mentioned in some earlier posts to this conversation. In my own application, there is an existing dedicated duplex receptacle, that powers ONLY the wall wart for my SOHO phone system, which is located almost exactly midway between my Hub and two Z-Wave switches that, because of distance and intervening walls, seem just out of range of the Hub. (The receptacle is exactly 21’4" from the HUB with only air separating them and the phone system is about 7’ away from the receptacle on the floor above.) Because I don’t want to take a chance that the phone system might fall victim to some Z-Wave anomaly, I DO NOT want to replace the standard duplex receptacle with a Smart Z-Wave receptacle. Also, the phone system is all hard-wired, so there is no RF/EMI zinging around in that area.

After putting the Hub in pairing mode and pressing the button on the Extender, the LEDs on both the Hub and the Extender began blinking appropriately and the SmartThings app on my phone indicated that pairing was “30%” complete. Unfortunately, that little circle in the app never advanced past “30%” in any of my numerous attempts to pair these devices, and each attempt eventually timed out and the app told me that the attempt had “failed.”

Between pairing attempts, I meticulously followed the Aeotec instructions and suggestions from this blog regarding excluding the Aeotec Range Extender 6 from the network and also returning it to its factory settings.

During my various attempts at pairing, at least in my interpretation of the color and the blinking pattern, the LED on the Extender indicated that the Extender HAD PAIRED with the Hub. However, when I reviewed the devices connected to the Hub, the Extender was not listed among them (and I tried accessing the list of paired devices in various ways). Interestingly, when I went to “exclude” the Extender from the network to which is wasn’t paired before attempting another pairing, the app detected “one device” and eventually SUCCESSFULLY removed it from the network. What the heck?!?

During my numerous attempts to pair the Extender with the Hub, I tried all combinations I could think of to exclude the Extender, not exclude the Extender, reset the Extender to factory specs, not reset it, move to different distances and angles from the Hub, etc., etc., etc. I met defeat at every turn!

I even tried pairing the Extender to the Hub in “secure mode,” even though I know the SmartThings v3 Hub (GP-U999SJVLGDA) does not support the S2 security protocol. While attempting this “secure pairing,” I had a brief glimmer of hope. After pressing the LED on the Extender twice per the instructions, the Extender began blinking blue instead of green, briefly went out, then intermittently glowed blue again a few times over the course of about two minutes, then switched to blinking green, and eventually timed out again as before.

During all of my pairing attempts near the Hub, I was able to observe the blinking green LED in the Hub which confirmed that the Hub was in pairing mode. When the app timed out on my phone and stated that the pairing attempt had failed, the green LED on the HUB simultaneously stopped blinking and turned solid green.

I would greatly appreciate any and all knowledgeable suggestions as to how to successfully address this frustrating dilemma before I resolve this matter myself by taking a ball-peen hammer to my new Aeotec Range Extender 6 (ZW117)!!!

1 Like

Which version of the SmartThings mobile app are you using?

FAQ: how to tell which version of the SmartThings mobile app that you have

And did you run a Z wave repair after you added it? And if you did, what error messages did you get?

I am currently running Version 1.7.36-23 of the “SmartThings (Samsung Connect)” app on a Google Pixel 2 XL phone. According to the naming convention you suggest, this is the “V3 app.” I have this app set to “Auto update devices and services” automatically on my phone via WiFi. This app also states, “The latest version is already installed.”

I did not run a Z-Wave Repair after I attempted to add the Aeotec Range Extender 6 (ZW117) to my network because the SmartThings v3 Hub never did detect and pair with the Range Extender. Therefore, it was not in my list of connected devices in the app and was not available for repair in the network.

I am still a bit puzzled as to why, if the Range Extender was not reflected on the list of connected devices in the app, and I could not otherwise locate it anywhere else within the app, it was apparently repeatedly detected and successfully excluded numerous times when I initiated that process.

Do you have contact info for anyone in the tech department at Aeotec/Aeon Labs with whom I could speak to resolve this issue? I did identify three telephone numbers through Internet searches that were supposedly associated with that enterprise, but I quickly determined that none are currently working numbers.

OK, that’s the newer app. It still doesn’t support all the same devices that the older classic app does, so quite a few people are using both. You could try adding it through the classic app and see if it works that way. Once added to your network it will then appear in both apps.

As far as contacting aeotec, I don’t have any special information. The URL for their support channels should be listed on the user guide for the device. If I recall, they only take email, because their English isn’t always great.

Also note that the “repair“ process applies to your entire Z wave network, not an individual device. It just would’ve been interesting to see if you were getting any error messages there. But it’s not important.