Adding a new User in app v2

Craig is right. Version 2.0.4 just hit the app store, and it does not include this fix.

While I agree with the point that having a fit does not help, and I am in the software development field, so know what the SmartThings team is dealing with. This does suck.

This is a key feature for me and not available.

While the best product on the market today, lacking this feature is painful.

Actually its for adults. For adults who cry, throw tantrums, stomp their feet, and break their toys when things don’t go the way they want them to.

Situation sucks, but it’s still the best thing available for now. Apple and Google are working on their solution too for those who want a more refined product. Nice and stable for people who don’t need the wide feature sets, friendly API, granular control, and great support community. They also come with almost 1 new product feature every 3 years. Different strokes for different folks.

4 Likes

I’m hoping that the IOS upgrade positions ST to enable this. Recall that the message was maintenance and IOS app update are needed. Because it wasn’t in the bug list as fixed and enabled immediately doesn’t mean the IOS upgrade wasn’t a pivitol step in getting this fixed.
Hope I’m right!

Most probably we have to wait for Android as well so they can activate the option on the backend hopwfully any day now.

Thanks ST

1 Like

That would actually be a productive update to hear.

Any update to adding users is likely dead for the week. IT doesn’t / shouldn’t install updates on Fridays, in case it would crash the system. Looks like it’s “next week” AGAIN ! ! !

1 Like

I haven’t been called a kid in 30 years
 feels good

2 Likes

I’m thinking you guys are on to something here, I smell another retailer in the very near future:

I don’t wanna grow up, I’m a Toys R Us kid
they got a million toys at Toys R us that I can play with
I don’t wanna grow up, I’m a Toys R Us kid
they got the best for so much less, it’ll really flip your lid
From bikes to trains to video games
it’s the biggest toy store there is (gee whiz!)
I don’t wanna grow up, cause maybe if I did
I couldn’t be a Toys R Us kid
more games, more toys, oh boy!
I wanna be a Toys R Us kid

Still no push on Android that I see. I am on 2.0.3 still.

Haha
Derp derp derp dee derp
it doesnt work and im not recommending a toy for single cat owners
did i hit a nerve?

Hey guys,

Some of the posts in here are starting to get a little close to personal attacks. Please, make sure to keep the posts about the issue at hand.

With that I leave you another of my favorite GIFs.

5 Likes

Hey @Slagle. A good update of what is going on might help the natives. I know I sure would like to know. By the the GIFS getting a little old ;-(

1 Like

This is the latest and greatest update, as I mentioned when new information is available I will share.

while i may not be the happiest customer about this, explaining to me what the problem is not going to help. my imagination of whats going on is probably more interesting that the truth. i have been vocal about my displeasure with this major omission but not to the point where people should feel shamed
everyone take a step back
and have some noodle salad.

Very frustrating this wasn’t fixed in latest update.

ST has a strange definition for the word “soon.” Please fix this already

2 Likes

You could just do it like I do

After 20 years of hurry up and wait in the Navy I developed a very good type of memory
 I just don’t have one

This way when I read about something new I get all excited about it
 then I conveniently forget about it. Then 9 months later when it actually shows up
 it’s all new news to me!!!

It really does work for me
 lol

7 Likes

Thank you for the update. I’m sure it doesn’t look great with this being my first post, but: I think the largest reason this has become a sore subject for a lot of people, and gotten person is just the lack of communication throughout the process.

Having spent the last nearly 4 years working in a tech support call center for a large IT equipment manufacturer, I’ve seen the best and worst of humanity when their stuff doesn’t work, with little control to fix larger product issues. I know how much it sucks.

That said, when we did have a real software issues, I communicated directly with our platform engineers, product management and developers to get real concrete answers for my customers. Even if that was just telling them what stage in the resolution we were at. I might also add that I always picked up the phone, and always responded to email tickets. People are getting frustrated when chat support has been disabled occasionally, their email tickets aren’t being answered clearly, if at all, and there’s no phone number to call.

I don’t condone personal attacks, temper tantrums, etc - but honest and clear communication goes a long way. On top of this feature being something that was existing and working, then taken away for nearly 2 months after release now - not communicating an ETA, a path toward a fix, and having vague answers in the community forums is the real salt in this wound. It doesn’t help seeing efforts put toward new toy features like weatherbug integration, new bundles to sell, without news on this particular issue.

I know how rough this has been on your support staff, your devs and such. We, as users, just like to see that this is being taken seriously, and is a priority to resolve. I love what SmartThings enables me to do in my home, and would love to continue to expand my SmartThings product use in my home - just keep us as users in the loop, and let us know that SmartThings is a product and organization we can count on. Thanks for your time.

5 Likes

This is about expectations also. A few facts:

(1) ST makes little to no effort to set expectations for users of its service. Bear in mind, the service is free. It is what it is. It malfunctions frequently, from little things to big things.

(2) ST in general does not communicate with users about bugs, issues, etc. There are no communications from the company about these types of problems.

(3) ST is actively working on this and other problems, they just don’t update us about their status.

So, if your expectations are such that the foregoing seems like bad behavior, you would tend to feel dissed. But that’s only because of your expectations. Once you realize how ST behaves, you will also come to realize that these things will get fixed when they get fixed, and that what is ranted about here is irrelevant to the outcome.

If anything, the comments made here by @slagle and others from ST about “close”, “almost done”, “super important”, etc, are doing a disservice to the Community, and are misleading. Such comments are not meant to replace the sort of customer updating you expect, and shouldn’t be taken as such. They are just Tim’s personal assurances to people. Bear in mind that Tim used to be on the other side, and he has a lot of empathy for the Community and the frustrations that some people experience. We’ve all been there. Doesn’t help, doesn’t change things.

1 Like

It is irrelevant to the outcome, yes, but not their brand. Those vocal enough to comment here are likely to tell their friends. This thread is also public to the world and could possibly persuade someone when deciding to purchase a system.

3 Likes