A Message from Alex on Platform Improvements and Our Plan Forward

So today was a great example of why I still cannot rely on Smartthings. After raising my hopes again that the platform is gaining reliability (several days of no issues) today I have a light turned on at a completely random time. Arguably not the biggest issue with my setup but it indicates to me that deep problems still exist. How can the platform be firing totally random events? What about the underlying system architecture, database or app design can cause random events? This just still seems completely broken. This is the standard pattern with smartthings, days, even weeks of stability then periods of crap.

1 Like

I just came home and found a light on under my house. It only comes on in one of two ways

1. Door is opened - RM rule to turn on light
  2. Press the switch

Since this is under my house and we go there like every month for storage reasons, there is no reason for it to be on

Oh I know, let me check the recent activity on my phone, DOH, activity is blank - bug reported
OK, let me check my hub logs, hmmmm, lots of nearly blank log entries

I went back 36 hours and founds where the light came on, it was me going in there but it never turned off by the motion sensor.

Bad things still going on

Rick

When my wife left the house this morning, the mode didnt change and that means my lights were all left on, my thermo didnt go into away mode and the house was disarmed.

And to think, since there have been several people saying that SHM was “behaving”, I removed Smart alarm. Partly because around 1930 CST yesterday when my wife got home from my sons baseball game, every motion sensor and contact that I have that she walked in front of or opened the door, set off SA. I bet I had over 200 alerts that slowly rolled in over the next 30 minutes. I couldnt disarm SA! I HAD to delete it.

From the constant/annoying noise my wife was making because it was blowing up our phones, to the soft gentle alert tone my phone would make, I just couldnt take it. And now its “something else” thats jackin with us?

I wonder if anyone from ST will chime in and say what happened and when its going to be fixed.

Im having similar issues with lights not turning off. Sometimes not turning on or being delayed. Never had these issues before the update… Things have actually got worse. Was just standing in my room in front of a sensor in the pitch black trying to find my way to the switch because the light turned off while i was in there and wouldnt trigger back on.

@slagle - Yesterday, support told me that the random misfiring of automations was still a known issue and was being worked on. Can you provide any more detail of what the specific issue is, whether there is a workaround and if there’s an ETA for a resolution?

1 Like

Our engineering team is working hard on this. It’s hard to provide a solid ETA for these types of things, but I assure you it’s on the top of the list.

1 Like

Any update on if this feature will be going live this week? Can’t wait!

Tim, where on the status page would failures like this be listed?

1 Like

They’re not, and I doubt they ever will be, that page is pure marketing. Our only hope would be that they create a “known issue” page / topic that they keep updated which also seems very unlikely.

At this point the best you can do is follow the forums to find they’re scattered acknowledgements of ‘known issues’

2 Likes

There is a “known System issues” section in the community created wiki, but we really need more people to contribute to it. Especially if you know of a workaround. There’s a template, so you just copy that and fill it in.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Category:Known_System_Issues

The more people who contribute to this, the more useful it will be. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

:slight_smile: :+1:

2 Likes

Broke again. Open a ticket with Auth failures using SharpTools. There are many other users that are having this issues.

1 Like

We’re working with the SharpTools dev to resolve ASAP.

2 Likes

Still does not work

1 Like

Tim,

Do you think adding a lux level conditional to Smart Lighting will ever be a reality?

1 Like

it’s in use internally, so yes it will be a reality…

2 Likes

I was trying a non confrontational way of asking why it hasn’t appeared as he has mentioned and maybe get another update on time-frame.

Just merged the PR today actually. :slight_smile:

It’ll be out on the next couple weeks once it goes through our release cycle.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update. I look forward to it.

1 Like