A funky device that should exist - connected touch-lamp control!

(Glen King) #1

We all know bout these. They convert an on-off metal lamp into a touch-dim lamp, with OFF and three levels of ON.

I’m thinking this would be ripe for connected smart control. In the event of ST hub failure, you’d still have your three levels - and when the hub is working, you’d have anything in the 0-100 range.

Yeah you’re going to run into physics on this one. :disappointed_relieved:

You don’t see many touch lamps anymore because they just won’t work well with trailing edge devices, which means LEDs, even dimmable LEDs, probably won’t work. And most people don’t want to use incandescent bulbs anymore even if they’re still legal in their jurisdiction. So there’s just no market pull for a device like this.

The device you linked to says:

Incandescent only

Most people using Z wave devices are looking for energy efficiency.

By the way, if you need equivalent functionality, use a $15 Hue White bulb in the Lamp and the Hue dimmer switch and you get the same functionality with about the same physicality required and it will also work even if your Internet is down. :sunglasses:

And you can put it wherever you want. This one on my refrigerator is at the height my service dog can use it. :dog::bulb:

I have one of these adapters on my bedside lamp, which has an led bulb in it. It works great for years. Love the idea of one with built in smart things support.

(Daniel Pena) #5

I have 3 of these for specific lamps, I removed the knobs to get the family trained :slight_smile:

(Glen King) #6

Alexa and Hue eliminated my ‘need’ to have the device lol

It still would be cool, but the torchiere floor lamp for which I wanted it now has a Hue color bulb.