[2021] Ikea Battery Powered Devices Roundup

Yes i only use the smartthings automations. No smartlighting no webcore. I can provide screenshots

1 Like

It can work with smartthings or hubitat with custom code, but not out of the box.

1 Like

That would be great, thanks! :sunglasses:

here’s what’ i’m using for Ikea remotes with success. all using the standard ST DTH:

1. TRADFRI open/close remote (comes with Fyrtur shades)
    Model: E1766 (i think?)
    Firmware: 0x22010631

2. Tradfri 5 button remote
    Model: E1810
    Firmware: 0x23014631

3. Tradfri 5 button remote
    Model: E1524
    Firmware:0x11115720

1 Like

Shame the ikea button dimmer doesn’t run locally, especially with the new local rules on the way.

There’s also another newer ikea shortcut button but I don’t have one myself yet.

1 Like

Multiple people reporting that the new shortcut button has issues:

1 Like

I have had number of the square On/Off buttons running over 6-8 months, however I have discarded all 8 of them as the batteries are now going flat within several weeks to several days. Tried several different brand name batteries. Have tested to prove the batteries are flat - less then 2v. The same discharge occurs whether the button is directly oposite the hub or downstairs some distance away. Usage ranges from once per week to twice a day for the closest ones.

1 Like

Have you checked the firmware version? You sometimes see that kind of behavior when a device is due for a firmware update and it keeps trying to do it over and over but for whatever reason never completing it. That can run the battery down pretty quickly. This is in particular often a reason when you have several devices of the same model that suddenly show the same issue with battery life. (that, or they were all using the same zigbee parent and it was removed from the network.)

1 Like

The firmware version (Australia) on most was 0x22010631.
Does the updating occur thru ST?
I tried to use update lonk on the IDE device page but nothing at all seemed to happen.
Any idea how I would know;
What firmware version is “current”?
How I could tell if it was continuosly trying to update, hadnt noticed anything strang in the Ide?
Have now removed all 9 from service.
PS the battery reserve has generally been getting worse over several months.

1 Like

I understand you guys may want a button to control some automations or scenes but if you are after controlling the lights only and you have hue bridge, one of the option would be connecting the Ikea wireless dimmer (and Ikea light bulbs) to hue bridge I am doing this instead to control a Ikea light bulb and never had any issue with battery life for months and the added bonus is when internet is down I can still control the light bulb, basically the remote is paired to the bulb directly but on the same zigbee network as hue bridge so I can control using the hue bridge app as well
I have the 5 button remote as well but still on the original box thinking of pairing to hue bridge next as it seems there is still uncertain issue with ST hub,
I am unable to check my current firmware level of wireless dimmer

https://redsilico.com/blog/ikea-tradri-remote-with-hue-hub

1 Like

The firmware version (Australia) on most was 0x22010631.
Does the updating occur thru ST?
I tried to use update lonk on the IDE device page but nothing at all seemed to happen.
Any idea how I would know;
What firmware version is “current”?
How I could tell if it was continuosly trying to update, hadnt noticed anything strang in the Ide?
Have now removed all 9 from service.
PS the battery reserve has generally been getting worse over several months.

The update only works over Ikea hub as far as I understand someone with the Ikea hub should be able to tell the latest firmware I don’t know if Ikea publishes such

@Geoffs I have been going nuts thinking it was me and i’ve just had dud batteries, thanks for confiming i’m not crazy.

I am also using the ikea (5 button in Australia) when over the last 6 months battery life went from months, weeks to now days. Love the speed and functionality but not when battery only lasts a few days to < 1 week.

My firmware details are

• Current Version: 0x23014631
  • Target Version: 0x23014631

I have tired checking the firmware update via ST IDE with no luck.

@JDRoberts Thanks in advance if you could help me understand how a device falls into this continous fireware update cycle? Is it time based? or would the hub send a command to the device causing it to continuously broadcast the firmware update message??

My basic understanding is to overcome I would purchase Ikea hub, unpair from ST, then pair with the ikea hub, then update firmware then repair with ST? :neutral_face:

I’m having the same problem with the battery going flat very quickly on the Tradfri rocker switch. I’ll pick up an Ikea hub this week and see if I can update the firmware.

I’ll report back if it makes any difference.

2 Likes

Great! Look forward to your findings :slightly_smiling_face:

@JDRoberts, you might want to update the OP and add the Styrbar. I still haven’t had a chance to try any of them. IKEA offers ridiculously overpriced shipping.

In the US and UK it shows up as only in a kit. But in Europe, there is just the remote. It has a brushed stainless steel and white colors as options.

As those who frequent the beta firmware threads might know, I am a recent victim of bonkers battery life on the E1743 on/off switch (aka wireless dimmer).

With the 2.9.0 Zigbee stack the buttons are fine but as part of the latest beta (for me) the stack was upgraded to 5.2.1 (and then to 5.2.2). Every single button stopped working in inside 24-48 hours. Same with replacement batteries.

Switching back to 2.9.0 and the buttons are fine. Back to 5.2.1/5.2.2 and they are toast within a day or two.

Note I am not claiming causation, only correlation.

I’ve also seen issues with battery reporting. I am told the hub logs showed comms problems which were fixed by power cycling Tradfri outlets acting as repeaters.

Update: The version numbers should have read 5.1.2 and 5.2.1.

2 Likes

I have several of the mini buttons and in my set up I can only get them to work consistently using automations, which is a PIA, but stable. Using the assignments in the actual device is major hit and miss… Mostly miss.

Firmware * Current Version: 0x22008631

• Target Version: 0x22008631
  • Last Updated: N/A
  • Last Checked: 2021-04-10 6:26 PM
1 Like

So I picked up an Ikea Gateway yesterday and set it up this morning. I paired the button that was having battery drain issues and there was no firmware update for it. It is showing as 2.2.010 in the Ikea Home app. In IDE it shows as * Current Version: 0x22010631.

FWIW, I’m in Australia.

I have 2 other Ikea buttons that are working just fine and don’t seem to have the drain. They also have the same firmware.

I’m beginning to suspect there is a quality control issue. Of the three buttons I have, 2 are working as I would expect and stay connected, and 1 just doesn’t. Clearly, given others experiences, it isn’t an isolated instance.

I think I’ll return the button and replace it with a new one and see if that’s any better.

I am also in Aussie. As noted further back, I have now retired 9 of these. The fireware is the current listed on the Ikea site quoted in another post. There were bought in several purchases starting, I think, early last year and ALL started with adequate (not brilliant) battery life, BUT all slowly down to a fortnight or less, independent of how far from the hub they were.
I am currently still using the 5 button version, currnt battery installed 14/2/21 and still showing 87% [although as noted elsewhere the % shown in ST for ikea is not always accurate].