2020 Rundown: Ring Products and new V3 App?

How? When I try to add the camera to ST and give permission from RING, the ST APP system I dont have any supported devices…

I have 2 stick battery cam and Im from Italy…
The cams are working perfectly via ring app, but It would be fine using them via ST…

I am in the US, so maybe supported here but not there?
Also, if I remember correctly, I set mine up using the OLD SmartThings IOS app.

FWIW, I have a newer Ring Spotlight Cam Mount that I can’t seem to get integrated with ST (using the new app nor the old app), despite the fact that I already have an existing Ring Spotlight Cam Wired set up and working. These are similar, but for whatever reason, ST sees them differently. I know there are newer Stick Up cams out now, smaller versions than the ones I have… so, if yours are the newer models, possibly they are not supported yet.

My guess (based on my experience last month) is that some of the model numbers have changed slightly and the integration doesn’t recognize them

1 Like

I’ll be honest: i’ve given up trying to figure out in advance whether any particular ring device will work through the SmartThings integration or not. I’ve spoken with both ring support and smartthings support and nobody has a list that I can find. It seems to just be a matter of try, and if it doesn’t work, support will say “not all models are supported.“

sometimes, but not always, you can trick it by changing the DTH to one that is supported, but you just have to try it and see.

Very unsatisfying, but it is what it is. :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

The annoying thing is, assuming functionality hasn’t changed between model revisions, it’s probably an easy metadata change in the code to add the different model to the whitelist of supported devices. [sigh]

3 Likes

It looks like the UI for ring devices (at least my ring doorbell pro) was updated in the new app. There’s a new history panel at the bottom that seems accurate.

2 Likes

Anyone know why the ring pro can’t be added as a camera group. Is it simply because it’s also a doorbell/button?

I recently purchased the new Ring Doorbell 3 and it’s a direct replacement in SmartThings for the original Ring Doorbell I had. I just rediscovered in the Ring (Connect) linked service and bam, it was there. I’m still able to use the motion sensor as a trigger for my outside lights just like before.

The Ring Doorbell 3 device page allows me to see the video stream, and uses my Android audio and microphone with the Ring Doorbell 3 in the SmartThings device page.

2 Likes

I just bought the 2020 version of the Ring Doorbell (not 2, 3 or pro) from Ring. Ring says it’s the newest v1. Smart things v3 app says not supported. Any way to get it integrated? Thanks.

Jay

I am right with you too. I had a topic on here and on Rings forums. I thought that since it’s a regular ring doorbell it would work but I can’t get it to see the device on either old or new app.

I hope someone can possibly get it working soon. They were on sale last week so I imagine a good amount of people might be trying the same thing in ST.

Wow, I really like forum threads like this that show a manufactures fragmented SmartThings integration which in this case is Ring.

I really lucked out since I wanted a 1080p upgrade and almost pulled the trigger on getting that 2nd Gen version too, but ended up getting the version 3 bundled with the Echo Show 5 instead. I’ll bet all Ring did was change the removable battery option on Doorbell 2 hardware and then slapped a new marketing name on it calling it a 2nd Gen V1 since the Doorbell 2 doesn’t have native integration with SmartThings either.

Exactly. That’s when I bought it.

Ughhhhh I just got my spotlight wired cameras, took the afternoon drilling holes in walls, running wires, and installing them… Only to find the same fate as many here. I try to add my cameras, I get an error saying no supported cameras found on my account. Now to figure which path to go down to get the integration updated to support my cameras?

They are likely redoing their integration to work with SmartThings new development environment. I’d wait and see if the new integration supports more devices.

So, does that mean that if manufactures are redoing their linked service integration using the ‘new’ development environment, it will then allow the linked devices to be accessable and used as triggers from ‘all’ SmartThings locations instead of just being tied to one SmartThings location like they are now?

Do you mean through Alexa or Google Home?

No, not just those. Say Ring did update it, would the Ring devices from the new linked service be available in all SmartThings locations?

no. Devices are always added location specific.

1 Like

Does not work as I thought. When power is restored by Smart Plug the indoor camera does not come back on line automatically.

Yeah I’m pretty frustrated right now. I’ve had Arlo for years and it’s been a big disappointment. I switched to Ring this weekend only to find that “Stick Up Cam Battery” is supported but “Stick Up Cam Wired” is not. They are the same camera, just one comes with a battery and one comes with a cable. I’m gonna try setting up Home Assistant on an Rpi and see if that can serve as a bridge. If that doesn’t work, the Rings are going back to Amazon.

1 Like