2018 Samsung Button Stops Working

You’re reported! This topic is derailed!

@JDRoberts you’re such a troublemaker! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Sorry to go off topic on this.
Thanks for all advice…from the input I’ve had, it does like Zigbee could be using 2.4Ghz even in the EU (and UK) but could also be using 868Mhz…too many conflicting information sources!
It may be that this is dependent on the device implementation by the manufacturer.

Either way, I did have a look at moving my ST hub but that is more a weekend job along with digging out some PowerLine adaptors to link the ST hub to the router.

FWIW to further derail, mine sits in a basket right below the router and it’s been pretty excellent as far as range goes. Better than another hub I’m using at the moment. :wink:

That’s impressive.
I’m unfortunately in a particularly wireless unfriendly house with potentially multiple double skin brick walls between hub and device. The Zigbee mesh may help sometimes but fear sometimes this has it’s limitations.

Aren’t you having issues with your button falling off the network?

I really think it’s a bum button. I’ve been running it next to the hub now and it keeps getting stuck in it’s sleep state.

Further battery powered zigbee devices are working fine.

My hub’s proximity to the AP or distance is not the issue.

I do get the same thing with my Smartthings button.
It often just doesn’t seem to respond on the first press or there is quite a lag on the associated action.
Makes me wonder if the device is not always waking up on the button press.

Now that’s on topic! haha.
I was just wondering if others are seeing the same behavior.
Sometimes it’s really fast, I tap it and all of my routine fires off.
Sometimes I press it and I feel like a dumbdumb just standing there waiting for the lights to turn off as I head to bed.

Mine works first press. The only think that’s iffy is the toggle function in smart lighting. If the bulb isn’t activated by the button, then the button has to be pressed twice to re-sync the status. It this is a common issue with toggle, not related to the button.

1 Like

Yea I’ve found the double press hard to nail.
I’ve created Pistons that make it so whenever I press it once the time of day and mode influence what it will do.

I’ve also stripped away all of those fancy pistons to make sure they weren’t causing the problem.

True here too. Double press sometimes works great and other times, nothing happens!
Same here too on the toggle function.
I’m not using pistons but just Smart Lighting SmartApps.

Looking at the reviews on Samsung’s website now a couple of weeks later I see almost all of the 1 star reviews describe the same problem as me.
I have a feeling I lost the silicon lottery along with those other unfortunate souls.
And those are just the ones that took the time to post a review…

Support isn’t really impressing me unfortunately…

Wait, there’s a support team? I thought that was an urban legend.

2 Likes

I won’t even post the little input I’ve had on the issue. It’s laughable…

The latest Hub v2 firmware contains updates for the 2018 sensors, including the button. If pulling the battery and putting it back in gets the device communicating again, the firmware update for the button should help with that situation. However, you need to have a Hub v2, be on the latest firmware, 24.20, and enable OTA firmware updates.

Finally someone with a pulse!
Ok, I see I’m on version 000.016.00014
I’ve seen posts here about version 24 or something like that.
How do I get to that version? I thought updates where automatic?

Something isn’t right. Are you looking at the firmware version? Or controller version?

That’s a very very old Hub v2 firmware version. I DM’d Keith.

1 Like

My button turns a lamp and and off. As long as the button was the last thing to operate the lamp, it works fine. However, once that lamp is turned on or off using another method, such as through the app or an automation, it appears to temporarily interrupt the button’s link to the lamp. So the next time that I press the button it does nothing on the initial press. It’s like the initial press merely wakes up the button or re-establishes its link to the lamp, so that subsequent presses can actually work to control the lamp.

1 Like

As noted above, this is just how the toggle feature with the smart lights smartapp works. After turning on, The next press will always send the off command to turn it off (even if something else turns it off first).

1 Like