12v DC controller for Smartthings

I’m looking for a controller that can work with 12v DC.

I have a number mechanisms in my greenhouse that run on 12v DC such as ventilation and watering. They have some basic automation, but there is no one size fit’s all, so it would be handy to be able to program a more complex set of automations and/or trigger a 12v switch remotely.

The watering valves are simple open closed switch for 12v, but the ventiallation appliances work on polarity (current goes one way = open, current goes the other way = closed) so I’m not sure if I would find anything for that.

Any suggestions!

There have been several threads on this in the past. The shortest answer is that the Fibaro RGBW controller can be used for low voltage application. There are some other alternatives as well, but I think that’s the most popular. It is available on either the US or UK frequencies. See the following discussion:

12vdc Z-Wave (for switching 4 12v LED lines and 2 12v fans)

As far as the fans go, as discussed in the thread above that can be more complicated. If you don’t want to go the two device route discussed in that thread, you can probably use one of the roller motor controllers, like qubino, for the fan. But check the specs.

12v fan control (preferably varying speeds)

Thanks JDRoberts,

I will check those out

My ventilation is not actually from fans, but from a 12v motor that opens the sides. I have a feeling I won’t find anything for this as it uses a polarity to change the direction of the motor.

Qubino is another option for you that runs on DC. Regarding motors, search for “shutter modules” since there are several manufacturers that make them to raise and lower, open and close shutters. Some are using them for projector screens too. Verify your load and amp requirements first though, Qubino support is very responsive. Here is an example:

1 Like

That’s a pretty common method for roller shutter motors (they reverse the polarity to distinguish between up and down), so that may be an option as @ritchierich mentioned. You just have to check the specs for each candidate device that you’re considering.