Suggest a Device

Thanks for asking. Here’s my 2c for device suggestions:

I’d love to see more camera options: Foscam integration would be amazing. Blink too, once it’s released. Dropcam is $$$. Along with the camera management, Dropbox or Amazon Cloud integration to save camera photos would be great, plus ability to email / push alert a camera snapshot when an event happens (e.g. when a door opens).

Add multi-Sonos integration, so several units can be controlled at once.

Lastly, some kind of door chime / door “chirp” when doors open (would likely require a new device). I tried to do this with Aeotec Siren but discovered the Siren can’t function in chirp mode - it’s an all-or-nothing siren. I’m hacking this with Sonos at the moment with a “door open” alert - but have found that the alert doesn’t always play (seems like the Sonos has to “wake up”).

I know it’s been talked about quite a bit, but official support via Amazon Echo would be awesome, hopefully not too long from now since SDK is released and is officially supporting WeMo and Hue.

2 Likes

Chamberlain MYQ
Honeywell Redlink/Wifi Thermostat
Rachio Sprinkler
Ring Doorbell

2 Likes

I would like to know that the Trane TCONT624A thermostat will connect as a SmartThing. Thanks, Rita

Looks like a nice device! It will likely connect to Smartthings as a basic zwave thermostat, but it has a number of nonstandard features, including wireless firmware updates, that will probably only work with a Nexia controller.

1 Like

Is there a recommended thermostat to use with SmartThings? I suspected what you have confirmed. I will try without Nexia but may have to replace the thermostat to get best use of the device. Thanks, Rita

I’ve started a new linked topic for you so you can get detailed recommendations.

How about the Smartenit Wireless Ball Valve controller - ZBVC-1?

2 Likes

For the toilet monitor - so I used the SmartThings moisture sensor (which looks exactly like the PEQ sensor.). It works great,but the battery only lasted 3 days (makes sense because it is normally shorted, but I cannot believe you change it every 3 days for the coffee pot)

You’re right. I definitely do not change the battery every three days. I’ve still got the original battery in it and it is still at 66%. The water sensor is generally tripped for about 8-10 hours a day so I would imagine mine would have died by now given your results. Have you tried clipping/unsoldering the LED to prevent that additional battery drain?

That was one of the things that I was wondering if you did. I do like the LED (at least for testing), but if its gotta go, then its gotta go. Maybe adding a resistor might help too although the less mods the better. I also wonder if the # of flushes (across entire family) -> which means increase number of broadcast is the difference? You probably have 1 wet- 1 dry per day. I show 58 (29 flushes) transitions in 48 hours.

The change is being reported. The more changes, the more reports, the higher the daily power draw.

I never removed the LED from my sensor but I fully intended on doing it until I realized that my battery wasn’t draining as fast as I thought it would. Like @JDRoberts said, I think it may be due to the number of state changes.

Side note - 29 flushes seems crazy high! Do you happen to have a cat named Jinxy?

1 Like

Taskr would be amazing!

1 Like

That is one thing I like about data… it reveals stuff you never would have thought of before. At first thought, 29 seems high, but for 4 people over 2 days, that is less than 4 per day and I can do 4 an hour when drinking coffee or beer (or Tequila)

We track people’s motion at a facility and when I was new, I noticed that nobody was moving (~10 patients, 4 nurses) in like 10 minutes. It was a holiday but I drove all the way to the facility to see why it wasn’t working. Guess what I found ? Nobody was moving. Even on a workday, people just don’t move that much.

Another one that is REALLY high is how many times people open the refrigerator in a day.

1 Like

Would love to see Halo Smartlabs smoke detectors get integrated. They are really cool with notifications for smoke and carbon monoxide as well as weather alerts. Does not appear to be z-wave or zigbee but is wifi so maybe hub v2?

I would like to see Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave LED Light Bulb, Gen5 as an officially supported device.

2 Likes

Here’s my wishlist:

1. A camera that fits in your door’s existing peephole, so you can trigger a photo or video when there is motion outside the door. I currently have a sensor outside the door, but would like to know what triggered it (delivery/mailman? Salesman? Someone trying to break in?)

2. A doorbell. I know it sounds a bit silly, but it would be nice to be able to trigger actions on the doorbell like pausing/muting my Sonos speakers, etc. I could actually then use my Sonos system as the bell.

3. I saw the suggestion for open power monitor, but I think it would be cool if there was a ST-made box that could monitor up to, say, 30 circuits for power draw with little clip-on meters. You’d just pop off the cover of your electrical box and clamp the sensors on every hot wire, then you’d have complete visibility into power usage by circut in the house. Useful for breaking power use down by destination like AC, circulation fan, water heater, dryer, washer, fridge, etc.

4. Maybe a device that could bridge between the hub and X10 devices that some of us might still have lying around?

1 Like

Nestcam. Now that Dropcam is gone. Nest camera’s are not recognized by ST. Looked at the dropcam connect code. What we need is a Nest Cam connect app.

1 Like

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/krom/wino-board-the-tiny-10-arduino-with-wifi/description

1 Like