My wireless Smarthub for pairing

So, some of my devices really need to have the hub right next to it in order to pair. So I got a $17 bridge and my mophie juice pack and Voilà, a battery powered wireless Smarthub. Perhaps this could be standard on Smarthub 2.0?

Thought I would share…

P.S. The Leviton wall scene controller is added to the smarthub, but it still needs a good device handler.

Bridge on Amazon

I do the same thing, only in reverse using the following:

Of course I have to do it before I put them in the wall. (c;

Ha, I thought about building a double or single gang box on an extension cord for new devices, but most of my switches are in already. This would be very handy for actually being able to develop/test the device handler.

I think the bigger problem is you shouldn’t have to have the devices next to the hub for them to pair. I know this is part of the ZigBee spec. During the join process the ZigBee coordinator (SmartThings Hub) should tell all ZigBee routers in the network to allow joining and then a new device will join the closest router. I don’t think the SmartThings hub is doing this. It is only allowing devices to join directly to it. I don’t know if the same thing is happening on the Z-Wave side or not but I have seen this with ZigBee devices in I have to have them right next to the hub for them to join.

Good job on the workaround!!

I have a Z-Wave sensor on my mailbox about 500 feet away and I paired it out there with no problem. My ZigBee devices are relatively close, but didn’t hear that they don’t pair through the mesh.

Just an note: this is not recommended for Z-Wave devices. They need to paired after they’ve been installed at their permanent location. Otherwise routing tables will be out of date and you may have connectivity issues. It’s ok to move them within few feet, but if you move them to another room, you’d have to repair the network.

Which is what I do. (c;

I just paired my first Z-wave device (before reading this) it was a Zsmoke alarm. I paired it within a foot of the hub but it will be mounted about 20’ away in the hall, is this okay? I will be adding more Z-wave devices (GE bulbs tomorrow).

If this is true about location then maybe directions similar to these can be updated to include “pair in place” etc:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/201581984-How-to-Connect-your-First-Alert-Battery-Operated-Carbon-Monoxide-Alarm-and-Smoke-Detector

Yes, if you have only one device, it doesn’t matter because there’s no routing nodes in the network. It only matters when you have routing nodes (i.e. mains-powered). Battery-powered nodes are not routing.

The GE bulbs are ZigBee, not Zwave. All that should be necessary when moving a previously paired Z-wave device is to repair (remap) the Zwave network.

I will search on how to repair/remap the Z-wave. Yes, I forgot the GE’s are zigbee but I will be putting some Ecolink door/window sensor in soon and I believe they are Z-wave.

So what I was reading this past week about needing to hold device within a foot of the hub for pairing was only about Zigbee devices not Z-wave?

Thanks guys

The only devices I had to get close were some older Intermatic Z-wave models; everything else paired fine no matter the location.

Of course ymmv depending on hub location, interference, etc.

Modified Kwikset - 909 and probably 910 models require you to be very close inspite of using Z-Wave. Since Z-Wave is a mesh network and devices repeat the broadcast iproximity issues should decrease as you add more Z-Wave devices. I prefer Zigbee and I am thrilled it was SmartThings choice for their devices.

When pairing new Z-Wave device, the controller must have direct connection to the device. Intermediate nodes will not help, since the device is technically not part of the network. Also, old Z-Wave devices used low-power mode when pairing as additional security measure to prevent rogue take-overs. That’s why for some devices the controller must be within few inches of the device.

Hi Louis, we are trying to recreate what you did, it’s important to our team to have wireless connectivity for our hub. We are struggling with this however. Can you explain to us how to set up the TP-LINK with the hub?