Double pole light switch help

Hello, I need some help and information regarding replacing my light switches. Basically, almost every room in my house has a ceiling fan with lights. In each room is a double pole switch like this:

One switch controls just the lights and the other the fan. I want to keep this set up, so that I don’t have to always have the fan going when I just need lighting. I’m not interested in controlling the fan remotely just the lights using SmartThings. I have no idea what smart switch I need to use to replace the ones I have. Any info would be great! Thanks!

@elko84 This allows you to use your existing switch:

http://smartenit.com/product/zblc15/

I use this for exactly what you’re trying to do:

http://www.zwaveproducts.com/Zwave-Controllers/Zwave-Wall-Consoles/Vizia-RF-VRCS2-MRZ-Z-Wave-2-Button-Scene-Load-Controller.html

There are a few discussion threads about both these devices, so I recommend checking those out. I use to complain about what I have, but it’s been working very nicely ever since I started using the Pollster app

Another option that is z-wave and is about 1/2 the price is the Enerwave ZWN-RSM2 it also requires a custom device type and SmartApp to function properly but has been working great for me for months. I’m currently using 5 of them.

Good catch @mattjfrank. I forgot about that one (I won’t forget now). I’m trying to stay with zwave devices as much as possible, so I would prefer that over the SmartenIT zigbee version. I will admit thought that after beating up on my Leviton in a few threads, I’m very pleased with how it’s been behaving.

It ain’t cheap though, and inclusion was a PITA, but at least each button is a separate device and it uses the standard zwave switch device in ST.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies. So looking at the Enerwave ZWN-RSM2, I’m assuming it just sits behind the switch and allows my existing switch to function via SmartThings. So if the switch is manually turned off, can I turn the light on via SmartThings and vice versa?

That is correct @elko84 This is not how I have them installed, I have them in the fan canopies but it is meant to be in the switch box. When you turn your switch off you’re not actually shutting the power off, your tripping the relay in the box to turn the power off that way the device can still be controlled via SmartThings.

Excellent, I may have to give that one a shot then. I am new to all this and going to wait it out until the new hub comes out. Trying to learn all I can in the mean time and this community has been great so far. Thank you!

Here is another option (although I have no firsthand experience with it!)

Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Micro Smart Energy Switch, 2nd Edition (DSC18103-ZWUS)
by Aeon Labs
Link: http://amzn.com/B008VWAPU4

It only controls a single load, so it may be easier to get up and running than the Enerwave ZWN-RSM2 as I believe it will just work as a z-wave switch. No custom device type code to worry about. But, it only controls a single load.

I have same kind of switches and want to be able to control ceiling fans and light.

But I just have two black wires and and white. Am I missing something here? How would i hook up the enerwave. Would I do it at the switch or above the ceiling fan?