Zwave Lag Problems - Zwave Map

The last few weeks my zwave network has been terrible, it used to be it was more reliable than my zigbee but thats not the case any more

I have 26 Devices including the ST Hub and Aeon Z Stick

STID REALID DEVICE NAME DEVICE
03 03 Bathroom Light Aeotec DSC18103 Micro Smart Switch (2nd Edition)
05 05 Zwave Repeater Aeotec DSD37 Range Extender
06 06 Siren Shed Aeotec ZW080 Siren Gen5+
07 07 Outside Light Aeotec DSC18103 Micro Smart Switch (2nd Edition)
08 08 Kitchen Sensor Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+
0F 15 Washing Machine TKB TZ69E
10 16 Siren House Aeotec ZW080 Siren Gen5+
14 20 Door Office Fibaro Door Window Sensor FGK-101
23 35 Bedroom Blanky Greenwave socket NS210-G-EN
24 36 Lock Shed Yale Keyless Connected (V1 Module)
2F 47 Office Sensor Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+
32 50 Outside Shed Lights FIBARO System FGS213 Switch+
35 53 Aeon Key Fob Aeotec Key Fob Gen5 ZW088-C
37 55 Shed Lights FIBARO System FGS213 Switch+
41 65 Lock Front Door Yale Conexis L1 (V2 Module)
42 66 Tumble Dryer Greenwave socket NS210-G-EN
43 67 Dining Room 2 Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+
44 68 Lock Back Yale Conexis L1 (V2 Module)
46 70 Bathroom Sensor Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+
47 71 Bedroom Sensor Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+
48 72 Bedroom 2 Sensor Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+
49 73 Stairs Sensor Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+
4A 74 Living Room Sensor Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+
4B 75 Dining Room Sensor Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+
4C 76 Z stick Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 ZW090-C

The Multisensors are in each room and work instantly no problems what so ever but the locks and sockets, I can can press a button in the app and nothing happens for 30 seconds once it finally switches on or off I can then turn it off and on instantly but after a while back to 30 seconds before something happens.
It’s worst for the Yale locks can be over a minute before it does something and get terrible at reporting manual un/locks

There’s 6 devices that are not zwave plus they are
2 Aeotec DSC18103 Micro Smart Switch (2nd Edition)
2 Greenwave socket NS210-G-EN
1 Aeotec DSD37 Range Extender
1 Yale Keyless Connected (V1 Module)

I don’t know were to start zwave repair completes fine. Could one of the device be flooding the network? How to you find out? Remove all the repeaters that are non plus devices?

You may want to log into your SmartThings dashboard:

https://account.smartthings.com/login

And then bring up the “Live Logging” and monitor the events to your SmartThings hub:

This morning I investigated setting up the Aeotec Z-Stick on my laptop to get more information about the network I ended up using Domoticz

Looks like there is two extra devices on the network

It can also show you this map
Domoticz

1 Like

Update

After deleting the two extra devices things looked like they were improving but again we are back to slow switches mainly the non plus devices (2 x Aeotec DSC18103 Micro Smart Switch & 2 Greenwave socket NS210-G-EN), my locks seem to be more responsive and the Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6 devices report a tamper instantly which they were doing anyway but makes feel its more likely that the non plus devices are old, the DSC18103 are nearly 3 years old and the greenwaves were purchased used off ebay and they have never been the fastest at switching on anyway but to buy aeotec quality stuff I’m looking at £200 pounds to replace those four devices.

Next steps to take later this evening
Restart all mains powered devices as haven’t had a power cut in years and a simple off & on might to the tick, Plus the Aeotec ZW080 Siren Gen5+ have battery backup

Update

We are now even worst than before every switch/lock device takes between 5-40 seconds, yet the Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6 can still report motion or tamper alert in milliseconds.

Yesterday I removed the two Greenwave sockets NS210-G-EN, Aeotec DSD37 Range Extender & TKB TZ69E with three Aeotec ZW075 Switches. During this process of removing and adding I had great trouble of the hub starting the process i.e the app saying it was in the remove or add process but the IDE event log said otherwise, or it started and ended in seconds to cure this I had to reboot the hub.

Here is an example of the lag command sent at 9:10:58.110 light doesnt turn on till 9:11:50.820 thats 52 seconds

I feel I have 4 options

1. Remove all zwave devices and start fresh (but will it be completely fresh??)
  2. Reset Smartthings hub completely (will I be able to readd all my xiaomi devices I cant get two added right now)
  3. I use my Spare ST Hub as my Zwave controller
  4. move to Hubitat Elevation

There was horrible cloud lag last night around 2am. I noticed it after running my Good Night routine. A couple actions didn’t take so I executed them manually and nothing happened. I tried manually controlling a few other things from the app and nothing. Following that I rebooted the hub and even that didn’t do anything.

Meanwhile, local automations executed immediately.

About 12-15 minutes later the manual commands on the devices I tried to control manually from the app started executing, a few minutes apart. That definately points to a cloud issue.

Check to see if your devices and automations are local. Measure the performance of those which are versus those which are not. You could have a mesh issue, or there could have been something going on in the cloud last night.

My Zigbee, LAN & Cloud to Cloud services are fine I would say the fastest its ever been. This is only my zwave side which is mainly devices that you cant get running zigbee with some sockets to boost the signal to my locks.

The bathroom Light above that took 52 seconds this morning to turn on after pressing the button in the app is running local

How many powered Z-Wave devices do you have? I only see the Aeon Z-Stick and a repeater. Thats insufficient for a whole house Z-Wave mesh.

Edit: I see you have Fibaros. I do not think those support beaming, which won’t help repeat messages from battery powered devices.

Currently Connected to my network 23 devices - Bold means mains powered

NUMBER - HEXID - ID - DEVICE NAME - DEVICE - ZWAVE MODE - BEAMING SUPPORT

1 - 03 - 03 - Bathroom Light Aeotec DSC18103 - Micro Smart Switch (2nd Edition) - Ls -Yes
2 - 06 - 06 - Siren Shed - Aeotec ZW080 Siren Gen5+ - Ls - Yes
3 - 07 - 07 - Outside Light - Aeotec DSC18103 Micro Smart Switch (2nd Edition) - Ls - Yes
4 - 08 - 08 - Kitchen Sensor - Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+ - L - No
5 - 10 - 16 - Siren House - Aeotec ZW080 Siren Gen5+ - Ls - Yes
6 - 14 - 20 - Door Office - Fibaro Door - Window Sensor FGK-101 - S - No
7 - 24 - 36 - Lock Shed - Yale Keyless Connected (V1 Module) - Fs - Yes
8 - 2F - 47 - Office Sensor - Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+ - L - No
9 - 32 - 50 - Outside Shed Lights - FIBARO System FGS213 Switch+ - Ls - Yes
10 - 35 - 53 - Key Fob - Aeotec Key Fob Gen5 ZW088-C - S - No
11 - 37 - 55 - Shed Lights - FIBARO System FGS213 Switch+ - Ls - Yes
12 - 41 - 65 - Lock Front Door - Yale Conexis L1 (V2 Module) - Fs - Yes
13 - 43 - 67 - Dining Room 2 - Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+ - S - No
14 - 44 - 68 - Lock Back - Yale Conexis L1 (V2 Module) - Fs - Yes
15 - 46 - 70 - Bathroom Sensor - Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+ - S - No
16 - 47 - 71 - Bedroom Sensor - Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+ - S - No
17 - 48 - 72 - Guest Bedroom Sensor - Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+ - S - No
18 - 49 - 73 - Stairs Sensor - Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+ - S - No
19 - 4A - 74 - Living Room Sensor - Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+ - S - No
20 - 4B - 75 - Dining Room Sensor - Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+ - S - No
21 - 4F - 79 - Bedroom Blanket - Aeotec ZW075 Switch - Ls - Yes
22 - 50 - 80 - Tumble Dryer - Aeotec ZW075 Switch - Ls - Yes
23 - 52 - 82 - Washing Machine - Aeotec ZW075 Switch - Ls - Yes

Out of 23 devices 12 are repeating - Check the devices mode one mains device “Dining Room 2” isnt in repeat mode but that shouldnt effect anything but ill remove and rejoin it when I get home

The only think that stands out is that the ZW100 does not support Z-Wave beaming so those devices annot support other battery powered devices like locks.

I would try a Z-Wave repair in SmartThings and be on the lookout for ghost devices, which show up in the repair but with no device name associated. I see you have found 2 ghosts already. Did you create 2 devices in SmartThings with those ID’s then remove them using the app?

I have updated my last posts device table with beaming support, Nothing has changed in months on my zwave network the last thing added was the back door over 2 months ago until I removed the 3 plugs and extender the other day and added the 3 plus supported devices

I have done so many repairs the last few weeks after readding devices, moving devices around etc, I dont see many errors, I wish I could change the mapping of the mesh myself or at least have a reset option so it starts again.

Yup added devices with those IDs and removed using the app and then confirmed they was removed, but those IDs were before the back door so they have been there a long time.

UPDATE From bad to worse

My door locks have just chewed though two sets of batteries in the last week - Shed lock unaffected
Front Door Lock
Grafana%20%20%20SmartThings%20(5)
Back Door Lock
Grafana%20%20%20SmartThings%20(4)

The lag is even worst - 12 minutes today for a light to turn on

I’m nearly done with smartthings if they offered a zwave network reset all would be good but no you have to reset the whole hub the zigbee network has never been so good and I have nearly 100 devices that would need to be readded - if im going to do that might as well upgrade to local only hub

Tonight will remove all zwave devices from network readd them wont readd locks till its working reliably
if still not working next week move zwave devices to spare smartthings hub
if that doesnt work move to hubitat

You’ve got a serious problem with your Z-Wave mesh. I doubt it’s a SmartThings related problem and would also be willing to bet you might likely see the same behavior with Habitat as well.

If your locks are chewing through batteries it could mean one of a few things… The locks are not going to sleep and flooding the network with traffic, something is keeping the locks from going to sleep (smart app, polling app, etc.), some other device on the network is flooding traffic to the point where the locks have to spend a lot of time trying to send and receive messages. You don’t mention what DTH is being used for the lock, but it’s also possible the lock was configured by the DTH for a very short wake up interval, so the lock is waking up more frequently than it should.

I would definitely remove ALL of your Z-wave devices and start over… Here’s what I think you should do, based on my own migration to v3.

1. Remove all Z-Wave devices.
  2. Perform a Z-Wave repair.
  3. If any ghost devices devices appear, delete them and repeat the previous step.
  4. If the Z-Wave repair is clean, perform a final Z-Wave repair.
  5. At this point, set aside your battery powered devices and make sure the batteries are removed. We’ll reconnect them at the end of the process.
  6. Add the first 3-5 line-powered devices, starting with the device closest to the hub moving outward in a “ring” from the hub.
  7. Perform a Z-Wave repair. It should be clean at this point. If not, stop and remove and re-add any device failing the repair. If a powered device cannot complete a Z-Wave repair at this point without errors it should be removed. Line powered devices really should never fail a Z-Wave repair IMO.
  8. Repeat step #6, adding devices in no more than 5 in between Z-Wave repairs.
  9. Once you get to about 30-40 devices in a 24 hour period, stop and give your mesh at least 12-24 hours to settle down before adding more devices.
  10. Once all line powered devices have been added, and you are getting a clean Z-Wave repair, begin adding your battery powered devices, performing a Z-Wave repair between every 5-10 devices.

With only 23 devices you should be able to reconnect them all in the same day. The key is to run a repair every 3-5 devices. This will also allow you to isolate any malfunctioning Z-Wave devices as you rebuild the mesh. During my move to v3, I discovered that one of my older GE Z-Wave wall switches was intermittently failing repairs. I replaced it with a Z-Wave plus version of that switch and had no issues after that.

Good luck!

I have just spent the last 3 hours removing all the devices from apps already for when I get home to start the removal from the hub

Yea I believe one of these devices

1 - 03 - 03 - Bathroom Light Aeotec DSC18103 - Micro Smart Switch (2nd Edition) - Ls -Yes
2 - 06 - 06 - Siren Shed - Aeotec ZW080 Siren Gen5+ - Ls - Yes
3 - 07 - 07 - Outside Light - Aeotec DSC18103 Micro Smart Switch (2nd Edition) - Ls - Yes
4 - 08 - 08 - Kitchen Sensor - Aeotec ZW100 MultiSensor 6+ - L - No
5 - 10 - 16 - Siren House - Aeotec ZW080 Siren Gen5+ - Ls - Yes

Is flooding the network not that any logs show that, they have been connected to the network for over 2 years the first three connected using the legacy raw data

Locks are using Rboys DH, To be honest I only have zwave devices as theres not zigbee devices that do what I want in the UK at least