Zigbee, Z- wave or both?

(Nicole Cook) #1

New to all of this. When I started I read mixed reviews about zigbee and Z-Wave so I figured I would go with whatever I could find my products in. Eventually that took me to zigbee, so as of right now my entire house is zigbee products. The problem I’m having is I cannot find a wireless outdoor motion sensor that’s on the zigbee network. That brings me to my question, is it better to have all of one or should I have some of both? The lock I eventually want to get is on the Z-Wave Network (August Pro) so either way I’d eventually have something with that. Honestly I just don’t know what I’m doing and any and all advice is welcome.

See the FAQ in the community – created wiki:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Z-wave_versus_Zigbee

The short answer is you can do whatever you want as long as you have enough devices that can repeat for each protocol so that messages can get back to the hub.

Some people like to stay with just one protocol, some select on a case-by-case basis depending on what they need. it’s really up to you. :sunglasses:

(Robin) #3

I’d answer but I see JD is currently writing a post and there’s nothing I can say to improve on that :wink:

(Robin) #4

Dang that was fast haha… can’t beat voice recognition!!

That’s it: talking is always faster than typing. :wink:

BTW, if you’re curious, normal speaking speed for English is typically around 110 words per minute, but many people dictate faster than that, often at 200 words a minute.

The following is a practice video for people learning to take court dictation and is done at 200 words per minute. You’ll see that it doesn’t sound that fast, and most voice recognition software wouldn’t have any problems with it. :sunglasses:

You should also take a look at the wireless range FAQ. Start by reading post 11 in that thread, then go back up to the top and read the whole thing.

(Nicole Cook) #7

Thank you so much for your quick responses. This would all be so much easier if there was a how to guide for dummies. So far I have everything I’ve purchased set up and running with very little work but these wireless outdoor motion sensors or giving me a headache.

The reason for that is simple: most home automation motion sensors use passive infrared (PIR) and it’s just not a technology which is well-suited to outdoor use. Gusts of warm air or a cloud passing over the sun just can create too many multiple false alarms. So you hit a device category where there aren’t very many inexpensive devices because the technology just isn’t quite there yet. The outdoor cameras do much better because they are using more expensive components.

(Larry) #9

Yes I don’t have outdoor motion sensors either, except iin sone flood lights.I actually have more problems with severe cold than heat with my motion sensors built into lights. At least here when it gets real cold the garage doors are poorly insulated and the combination of cold and wind tend to set off the motion sensors.

(Jenny Moore) #10

Most of my light switches are z-wave so far, but I’m just getting started. I picked up my first zigbee motion sensor and it works great, so I have a feeling I’ll be using both in my house.

(Tom Guelker) #11

I have both. As someone with OCPD, surprisingly that doesn’t bother me.

(Nicole Cook) #12

Thank you everyone for giving me your two cents. I wasn’t sure which is best and it seems there is no right or wrong. I’ll just play it by ear depending on how I upgrade in the future.