Zigbee network issues with Tuya devices

Thank you @Mariano_Colmenarejo for your amazing contribution!

I bought some cheap Tuya zigbee devices, including a ts0202 motion sensor, a Ts0207 leak sensor and a fingerbot device. The pairing process was smooth, but I keep on having the devices go offline in the hub. Is this a localized problem to me? Does anyone else have this issue as well? More importantly, has anyone figured out how to solve it? I have a zigbee smart plug a foot away, that works fine, and should be repeating the signal.

Your ZigBee network is too weak. Try adding more ZigBee devices that connected to power. A convenient solution can be USB dongle used for ZigBee Range Extender. Here is a link for buying

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_9ukNKq

I have a few dozen zigbee devices all over the house, including a handful of smart plugs, as repeaters, right near there. The only issues I have are with these $3 devices.

This worked for me, in hard places like underneath a washing machine leak sensor that had a very poor reception even that my home is also meshed with many zigbee devices that connected to power.

Any reason why it would be better than a regular smart plug? I also don’t know how my current devices are impacting my network. There aren’t great tools to help debug the network. I would expect a smart plug that is acting as a repeater, would help.

In order to trace your zigbee network you can use Zigbee Analyzer. Here is a that explain how to do it.

Eventually the analyzer SW will produce you a map that may look something like that

Mapping your network would be a good idea. But first, it’s really important to understand a couple of things about a Zigbee Mesh network and how it differs from a Zwave or thread mesh network.

Z wave and thread are fluid in which devices they choose as repeaters for any one message. If the repeater they expected to use is not available, they will look for something else. And maybe more importantly, there is no limit on the number of battery powered devices that anyone zwave mains powered device can repeat for. It just accepts one message at a time and passes it along.

In sharp contrast, Zigbee uses an assigned parent/child structure. When a new battery power device joins the network, it is assigned to a specific mains powered device to be its parent. This is not necessarily the closest physical device. Each repeater device has a limit on the number of permanent children It can accept, which can be anything from two to about seven. and that’s it. Those are the only devices that it will repeat for. And if the parent is not available, the child doesn’t know what to do. In fact, it can become an “orphan“ with no way to get its messages onto the network because its parent is unavailable.

And just because there is a Smart plug 1 m away from a battery powered device does not mean that that plug is the parent to that battery powered device. Or that it has an open slot to add a new battery powered device. If it’s out of slots, the new device will have to try to find a different device to be its parent, even if it’s one which is much farther away.

It can be quite difficult to find out how many child slots any given repeater has. Somebody at the manufacturer will know, but it’s not usually published information and I think most people just end up doing trial and error if they really want to know and keep adding new devices until they can demonstrate that that parent cannot take any more children.

Zigbee 3.0 is better than earlier Zigbee versions at finding new parents for orphaned children, but it can take a while to do so, and it will only be able to do so if there is another parent with available child slots.

Anyway…

A lot of the discussion upthread assumed that Zigbee was going to work like Zwave and Any repeater would pass along the messages from any nearby battery powered devices. But it just doesn’t work that way. The repeater will only pass along the Messages for its specific children. Very different architecture.

Carry on. :thinking:

4 Likes

Thank you.
Whaf might be happening is that my other devices have decent radios that could still reach its repeater, even if it isn’t the closest one. These cheap devices might be struggling. Also, some of it might be firmware related. If the motion sensor doesn’t detect motion for a few hours, it goes offline. As soon as it detects motion, it reconnects with the network.

I don’t think it’s a radio problem.

When they disconnect and reconnect when motion or water is detected, it is usually because the device does not send periodic reports.
Normally these devices, some TS0207, do not accept the configuration correctly and that is why they do not send periodic reports, only when there is an event. This causes smartthings to mark them offline and online when it receives a message.

The TS0202 normally accepts the configuration and does not cause problems, try pairing it again near the hub

Viewing the pairing logs with the CLI could be better analyzed

2 Likes