ZigBee Development Board

Thanks for the great suggestions regarding the name. ZBoard is more of a working title, and settling on a real name is not a priority, yet :wink:

@mcotis: The ATmega256RFR2 has two hardware serial ports of which I broke out one. Technically, all the pins to connect a FTDI breakout board are available, but they are not in the proper 6-pin FTDI header format. Iā€™ll break out the FTDI header (one way or another) with the next revision. So far, I havenā€™t been able to figure out how to fit another 6-pin header with the compact form factor.
It would be easy to make a ā€œFTDI shieldā€ available, but it would suck to have to buy yet another FTDI breakout, when most people probably already have a breakout board with the traditional 6-pin header.
A third option would be to simply re-arrange the pins on one side of the existing 16-pin header, so that the 6-pin FTDI breakout plugs straight into one of the ā€œside headersā€.

Having the FTDI header would make programming of this very similar to the Arduino Pro, which I would be totally okay with. The OTA programming could definitely lower the entry barrier, but requires some external memory to temporarily store the new firmware image. The added hardware would increase cost. I probably want to explore that option, anyways.