Z-Wave Smart Energy Meter - 9.99....Really?

Seriously, it’s really really not worth it for a “should”, I’ve stated before in this thread but it’s worth stating again. At the current and voltage levels inside this box, one slip, one accidental misplaced finger/screwdriver/whatever and it will not hesitate to kill you.

This is not an exaggeration. This is not a joke. It WILL kill you.

Please, please, if you’re not even sure at this point, if you’re not familiar with the insides of a breaker box or don’t understand what’s going on electrically inside it, please get an electrician or a friend who does know what they’re doing to do it instead.

It’s a super easy job, but it’s super easy to go wrong very VERY quickly and you’d feel very stupid if you died trying to install a device that merely allowed you so see how much power was going through you when it killed you.

8 Likes

This +1000!!!

The reason they have an annual “Darwin Awards” list is for things like this… it only takes 1 slip and 2 milliseconds for you to no longer be a member of this, or any other forum.

If you are not 100% certain what NOT to do (which is infinitely more important than what TO do), then do NOT do it yourself!

6 Likes

I think I did the math right. At 10 cents per kWh, that would cost you about $1296 a year if the machine was set that way 24/7. At that price I could probably hire a topless barista to deliver me a big coffee every morning. Of course it would have to happen after the wife goes to work. :grinning:

2 Likes

Between generation, distribution , taxes etc we are about 0.15KWH. So even if it was only 1000W x 15hrs a day that is still about $2day/ $60 month to not have to wait 2 minutes for a cup of coffee.

1 Like

Scary how much it uses! I will be changing the settings on mine as well!

Dam n this energy meter making us more aware! :smiley:

I’ve made more life changes for myself and my family in the last 8 months than the past 15 years due to all my monitoring. I think that’s a good thing…

2 Likes

Got mine installed in my breaker panel, on AC power. I have a flush mounted panel so I just popped out one small break-out and then fed clamp cables out through the wall and wall mounted the Aeon box outside the breaker panel.

I’m using @johnconstantelo’s DTH, thank you.

2 Likes

You scared the cr*p out of me when I read this post this morning! :scream:

I have the K550 and immediately went into the kitchen this morning and hooked up one of my spare Iris plugs (3210-L) and monitored the usage before, during and after brewing a cup.

I do not know if my model is all that different than the one you are running, but it spikes to about 1,425 W during the heating up process from a cold startup, then it uses about 6.5 W while pumping the water during brew, then heats up the water again at 1,425 W, then idles at 2.5 W for 15 minutes or so… it only spikes for a few seconds to 1,400+ W a couple of times an hour and spends the rest of the time at 2.5 W… whew! :relieved:

1 Like

I’ve got newest 550. ( 4th ( or is it the 5th ?) warranty replacement since my 1st 550 3 years ago. I burn them up in 6-8 months) Just got it before Christmas. The readings were about a year ago on a maybe 2nd or 3rd edition 550. It was a lot more than a few seconds at 1500, then would drop to 800 for maybe 10-15 minutes, then back up to 1500 for 2-3 minutes.

Maybe not the best verbiage considering the convo… :grinning:

3 Likes

Well so far no pump failures like the old Keurigs, but I do a heck of a job on the LCD screen. Yes this is our fifth, so 4th warranty replacement. 1st 2 got stuck in a boot loop. Last 2 the screen just goes blank. Works fine of you only want to use the default cup size/strength, but hard to actually turn it on, just keep touching the corner of screen until you hear the heater kick in, then wait for the button to blink.

Dang. I’ve had my Keurig for like 5 years now.

2 Likes

Many Americans discard stuff that still works fine way too quickly if they’re bored w/something. Good for you @MEarly!

1 Like

You wait that long at Starbucks! :yum:

1 Like

Looks like I missed the boat for this deal. If anyone has an extra please let me know.

Well I don’t . I went into a SB once about 20 years ago and made the mistake of just asking for " a large coffee. "
" what do you want ?"
" a large coffee dark with 1 sugar"
" okay what do you want"
" just a large coffee dark with 1 sugar"
" Do you mean a grande’ ? "
" ya,whatever you call it, I just want a large dark with 1 sugar"
Repeat about 20 times, I gave up, walked out went down the street to a gas station / convenience store and got a coffee.

4 Likes

Just saying. My 30.5 oz of Folgers classic roast costs me about $8.00 every 3 weeks. That makes me 10 cups of strong coffee a day for 21 days. So 5 cents per cup. The $25 Belkin energy monitor plug I hooked up to to my $50 coffee pot said I’ts using $3.50 a month of electricity.

What do I do with all of that money I’m saving? I use it to buy the most important beverage ever invented. :beers:

4 Likes

Since my wife and I don’t drink more than a cup a day, we found we were actually wasting more than we thought just getting a bag every few weeks at Safeway. So now we do these, cost is higher per serving, but we still come out ahead vs trashing half a pot each time. And that’s a little 4 cup pot, maybe 6…

I really do like this coffee too, it stays fresh much longer than I expected. Doesn’t get the stale taste of the “Sealed” bags from the stores.

One thing I don’t monitor is our coffee station, which is weird since we have three different machines for our espresso’s and regular coffee…Need another Iris I guess.

1 Like

I have monthly standard orders from Rogers and Amazon .

120ct Fogchaser pods, 36ct Gorilla decaf from Amazon.

3lb FogChaser beans ( to make full pot when everybody is home ) , 36ct Gorilla decaf and 2 12ct of Earl Grey tea, 2 12ct cinnamon coffee cake direct from Rogers. ( add 2 ice tea 2 Hibiscus tea in summer time )
( now do you see how I burn up Keurig in 10 months or less ? )

1 Like

I frequent MEH and got a POLTI CAPRI ESPRESSO MACHINE WITH 100 AROMAPOLTI CAPSULES for 50 bucks with 100 pods. The coffee pods were expired but tasted perfectly fine to me. They gave a $50 discount code since they wer expired. They went on sale again for $25 each, picked up the max of three. So 400 servings for $75 so under .19 each!

I’ve almost killed one of the machines as we use it for hot water for tea as well. Got the spares in the garage.