Z-Wave repeaters. Help with Z-Wave Plus devices as well?

I thought since the frequency is the same, it should help with both. Sorry for the noob question. TIA

Yes, they will, although if there are Z wave plus features like explorer frames, the Z wave classic devices will not be able to participate in those. But in general, Z wave is backwards compatible, and you can add zwave plus devices to a zwave classic hub with the other Z wave classic devices and the network should still work fine. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’ve been looking all morning for a definitive answer to my question and have found a lot of conflicting information about compatibility with Z wave Plus and non plus repeaters. I understand the Plus repeaters are backward compatible, but some (or all) plus features are not going to be usable with non-plus devices. Some information I have seen has gone so far as to say ALL devices must be Plus devices to see the benefits. I have a mix of plus and non-plus devices but need some signal boost to and from a couple of metal outbuildings. I currently have a non-plus repeater attached to a window in each building to help with this, but the signal is still not 100% reliable due to distance and I’m considering getting some new Z Wave Plus repeaters. Now my question: A) Is the increased Z Wave Plus signal strength due to just a higher efficiency transmitter, in which case it would seem to help my older non-plus devices in my house pick up the signal, or B) Is the increased signal strength based on newer technology which is not available in a non-plus device, in which case it would be of no benefit to helping my older devices pick up the signal. (I’m using a V2 hub BTW) . My thinking, or hope, is that worst case, I will need to replace the nearest “in house” devices with Z Wave Plus devices for signal reception and all will be good. I’m assuming here that the statements I’ve seen that " all devices must be Z Wave Plus to see the benefits" is a false, or at best, misleading statement.
(Quick edit: I realize I shouldn’t expect 100% reliability, but would like it to be higher than what I’m currently getting)

It’s actually both, depending on the specific feature.

A zwave plus device does have a longer range for each individual message segment. So it can send farther and hear from farther away regardless of whether the other device on the segment is z wave classic or Z wave plus.

(There is some incorrect knowledge floating around on the Internet that says all of your devices on your network have to be Z wave plus in order to get any zwave plus benefits. That’s just not true. The alliance has always intended for people to be able to have a mix of generations, that’s part of the specification. You should not have to replace your older devices just because you got some new ones.

What is true is that some specific features only work when the device at each end of the segment is Zwave plus, in particular the enhanced security for the S2 framework. But if the hub supports the new features and there is a pathway from a new device to the hub using other devices that support those features, then that specific message can take advantage of those features. The fact that you have other devices elsewhere on the network using an older protocol doesn’t matter.

However, if The hub tries to send out explorer frames and hit some devices which don’t support those, then you may lose information about devices further down stream. But that doesn’t affect every day messaging.)

Anyway, the increased range should be in effect in any case. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thanks JD for the great explanation and also the “short” answer at the end. Your knowledge and helpfulness is greatly appreciated by me, and many others I’m sure. Have a great day :smiley:

1 Like