Z-Wave + integrated blinds/shades: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Shades

Can you send some pics of how the batteries are changed ?

Here’s a quick video:

1 Like

Coupons have been updated, as well as additional manufacturer rebates.

I would like to see Smartthings control multiple shades in a group at once. I am curious to see if there is any lag between the commands hitting shades or if in fact they all move in unison.

well, I might be able to show you 2 shades sometime next week. My windows are being worked on and it’s going to take a while. In the mean time I can install another shade for demo purposes on another window in the same room as the original window. I am waiting for one of my solar shades to arrive, no point in showing you guys the same type of shade over and over.

2 at once being initiated from the same trigger would do just fine!! Create a virtual dimmer switch and have both shades subscribe to changes on the virtual switch?

Is there a better way to control multiple blinds at once?

I’m just trying to avoid having my ocd upset me when if I install blinds in living room and then blinds in a group have marginally noticeable response time to raise or lower.

Also when you say solar, are you meaning the solar cell shades or are you meaning the solar power kit as a power source? Regardless, any recommendations on solar power strip kits to use with these shades??

I dont think the blinds are going to be 100% in sync. I reckon there will be some lag. ST executes commands sequentially and if you notice, even with lights, if multiple lights are part of a routine, then all dont turn on/off at the same time. It is possible that with just 2-3 blinds you may visually not see any difference, but my guess would be that there will be some delay between the two blinds.

So there will be a marginal delay between each blind/shade. This is true for normal RTS based motorized systems as well; I have yet to find one where all blinds/shades in the same room move at the same time. The marginal difference is by milliseconds but the more products you have, the more, it adds up.

By solar, I meant a roller shade with a solar fabric. Currently, no solar power units are provided with these.

Just ordered 4 roller shades for the dinning room. Hopefully it’s smooth sailing so I can convince the wife to get the shades for the rest of the house.

1 Like

Great! I’ll send you an update on the order tomorrow. I think I found it, but PM me your order number just in case. Also I’ll have a video up probably by Friday or Saturday showing the entire process from installation to connecting to SmartThings and basic trouble shooting.

1 Like

@ZebraBlinds , I’m interested in AC powered ones since my blinds are 18’ up in the air, replacing the batteries would be a major nightmare.

Do you have a video on how the AC powered option all connects up?

There are many advantages to mesh topologies like zigbee or Z wave, including very low energy draw, but one of their disadvantages is that you cannot force the sequencing of messages. Messages can and do take different pathways through the network based on which repeaters are available, so even when there are two devices in the same room they may get their messages in a different order at different times. In lighting, this is often called the “popcorn effect” where different bulbs will come on in a different sequence at different times.

There’s no way around this – – it’s just the nature of the technology. If you have true OCD to the degree that this is uncomfortable for you, I’d suggest looking into the Lutron Serena shades instead. They will cost more, and you can only get indirect integration with SmartThings through the IFTTT channel, but it is an alternative technology if you really need one.

1 Like

I don’t have a video per say, but if you looked at the video where I showed how the battery pack connects (micro usb port) one end of the ac adaptor is a Micro usb port and the other end is a regular wall outlet. @ashutosh1982 has a sample unit with the ac adaptor. If he can post a pic you should be able to see it. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help, all my units are battery powered.

demo video of 2 shades being controlled coming in a day or two. I took some time to record everything and went into detail with everything and then realized… I forgot to hit the record button. Will do it again tomorrow :grin:

1 Like

I sincerely hope there is some sort of transformer in between the AC end of the cable and the ‘micro USB’ end of the cable otherwise that’s going to end in tears for people… I also sincerely hope they aren’t using the micro USB connector at 12V as that’s not a good idea either.

Hopefully @ashutosh1982 can post some pictures and clear up some confusion.

I called, they didn’t have one in front of them, but told me the spec sheet for the motor said 15v @ 1amp

So they do have a transformer, I am just rechecking the voltage and amperage with the manufacturer.

EDIT: So confirmation from Graber, the output is 15V @ 1.6 amps. The transformer is also UL tested and stamped so there shouldn’t be any safety concerns.

Also I should have said DC Transformer. I am just so used to calling them an AC adaptor since I was little, sorry for any confusion caused.

Here is a pic of the blind with the adapter. I am currently testing it out before offering it to my customers.

3 Likes

SmartThings discount has been extended to the 4th of July due to the long weekend.