Z-Wave + integrated blinds/shades: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Shades

So it depends on the product itself. The one I showed you can be mounted to the top or to the back. The roller shades can be mounted to the top, back or side. All brackets will have a minimum of to the top or to the back.

My shades were manufactured in an outside mount configuration (mounted outside the window frame) since my frame has only a 1/4" of depth. Instructions on how to measure for inside or outside mounts are available on each product page. Also, if you have specific questions feel free to ask.

Chances of this happening is low and mostly for my wife but does that mean pairing the remote to shade means only one shade or multiple? I am looking at 8 shades and a couple of them are really high up. So the headrail button could be a problem unless I can do some mod.

@ZebraBlinds in case of multiple shades, will each shade have its own remote? Will the shade pair with its respective remote? Or will one temote , when added controls all the shades?

Ok, I made a minor error earlier. Even if the smartthings hub is down, as long as your Z-wave mesh is running the remotes will work. Sorry about the misinformation… was a bit tired from staying up all night working. The post will be edited. Also, I’ll post a video showing the shade working with the remote while my hub is on, and while its turned off.

EDIT: So when pairing the remote to the shade after adding the shade to smartthings, just make sure the remote is as close to the shade as possible. This way the remote directly sends its commands to the shade vs relying on a close-by repeater.

Regarding the remote included with each shade, each remote can only control one shade. There is a separate remote (about $40) available that can control multiple shades in a group.

So each shade comes with a single remote. These are the virtual cord remotes and they can only be paired with one shade at a time, although you can pair multiple remotes to one shade. To control multiple shades with a single remote there is an additional remote (around $40) available which can control a group of shades.

Hope that answered your questions and didn’t seem confusing.

Yes that clarifies it! Thanks!

Here is the how-to video to exclude the shades from SmartThings. Original post updated as well:

1 Like

Coupon post has been updated with a special 10% discount on the Z-Wave shades. Will expire on June 20th and will not usually be available.

1 Like

Noticed that min width for Roman Shades at least, is set to 24". Is that a limitation of the motor? I need 22" which I’ve found in Bali.

The artisan Roman Shades are limited to a minimum width of 24". With the z-wave motor or a regular RTS motor with a ZRTSII, Graber only offers a minimum width of 24" on the Roman shades. The main difference between the brands is Graber is the more premium quality product, and Bali is the mass market product. Both are owned and operated by the same company.

Edit: I can check if an out of spec request can be made if you are interested.

I’m very interested!

Can you message me the exact size you need? I need both width and height to make a request. Also the fabric and roman type. (You can get the info by clicking on customize & buy on the product page)

Looks like I am unable to message you since I am new. Can you start off the direct message?

Wish i could buy retrofit kits for our existing shades… Have a lot invested in Smith & Noble Roman shades and blinds to throw them away

I am actually checking if this can be done… so far I haven’t made any progress. Will keep this thread updated if its possible.

1 Like

Manufacturing time has been extended for all new orders from 3 - 7 working days to 5 - 11 working days. A lot more demand than expected.

1 Like

Thanks for the update.i am in no hurry… But at the same time very inquisitive about it :slight_smile:

Your’s is expected to ship on the 22nd :grinning:, if you have questions fire away.

Great! Cannot wait to test it. If this test works out good, I may order another one - full window size - to install as a real test blind in my colleagues home.

1 Like