Z-Wave + integrated blinds/shades: Custom Graber Virtual Cord Shades

Can you try the following even though the shade isn’t in ST:

Then try adding it again.

Just tried it, it just times out with no message from smartthings. I tried from the app and also from the z-wave exclude utilities in the dev interface to make sure.

I checked again, and it will still pair to a remote directly and work, just not wanting to connect to Smartthings.

I did a z-wave repair command to try also, no errors except for a dead battery in a moisture sensor.

Pmed (10 char)

1 Like

Hey Neal, I know you said they don’t want to sell a retro kit, but is there any option for existing Graber Blinds customers? I just purchased 3/4 Elegant Neutral Cellular shades with the Cordless upgrade for the whole house less than 2 years ago when I renovated, so scrapping them isnt’ an option.

I’m handy enough, so I’d be willing to take the gamble on trying to retrofit myself.

We’ve checked with Graber on that and their official response is “Retrofit kits won’t be offered.”

We’re actually in talks with a few companies right now for an alternative for retrofitting. If anything comes up I’ll update.

1 Like

Black Friday deals updated:

I just ordered free samples of some of the fabrics to see which I want for my living room, any chance they’ll arrive in time for me to place an order before this promo expires? I did see the expedited shipping option but $25 to get some samples seemed steep :frowning:

Hard to say. Depends on the product and where you are located. If they are the cellular, pleated or sheer shades samples, are going to only arrive after thanksgiving since those are shipped directly from Graber. Everything else is 2 - 3 days since we ship next day from our location.

For your next shades, look at leviosashades.com. They use D-size regular alkaline batteries and should last 3 years - hidden behind the valance so not seen. Oh, and the motorized shades are half (!) the price of everywhere else I looked. Though they only sell roller shades, I have 18 in my house so far, all working fine, most purchased for ~$250. ST and Alexa compatibility are supposed to be available in a month, per website. Can’t wait!

I’d stick with the shades that be paired directly with a z-wave controller and can be purchased right now.

“Coming soon” sometimes ends up actually meaning “never” with these types of products.

Ugh, yeah I think they were all Graber… Do you know much about the cellular shades? I think I’m leaning towards single cell blackout but there are different options and some are more $, is there some kind of pattern or texture difference between say “cocoon” and “solace”? The little zoom in pop-ups look pretty much the same…

Ok I’m confused, does the coupon code replace the Black Friday discount or should it be on top of it? When I added the code to get a guesstimate for cost it increased the price…

Corrected. We just made an update a few hours ago which changed the rule by accident. Switched it back. it should be additional.

Can you PM me the order numbers? I’ll see if I can send closeup images with my dslr.

The biggest drawback with their system plain and simply is it uses the broadlink rm pro currently. Also plans for the leviosa zone mentioned on the site and if released as stated (they do have a disclaimer) would be the same thing as the Somfy ZRTSII which acts as a bridge rather than truly being a smart shade (I could be wrong, but that’s what it looks like right now).

All it does is act as a phone equivalent of a universal remote and learns the RF code the remote itself sends out. Rather than a smart shade it uses a smart remote. With their current “smart” implementation using the Broadlink RM PRO, any motorized shade regardless of brand can be controlled so why stop at leviosa? I am pretty sure there are cheaper alternatives.

Leviosa offers Broadlink today and you are right about those limitations. But I called, and the new Zone (they say in final certification) will be wifi stand-alone, AND compatible with SmartThings, and therefore Alexa, Google Home, etc. They promise any shade purchased today will be compatible with the Zone - which is why I leaned forward. The power supply of large/cheap batteries (D size) that last 3 years and hide behind the valance was the deal-maker.

But it still comes down to the same thing. It’s essentially the same principle as a Somfy ZRTSII which is a bridge for the shades rather than the shade being smart. If that’s the case there are cheaper alternatives and if they are using the 433mhz frequency and not something proprietary there’s a number of devices out that can do the same thing as the leviosa controller.

We are actually testing a few already certified devices right now for our regular motorized shades that don’t use somfy motors which are technically even cheaper, however, it would be offered as a smart controller rather than a smart shade.

You are right that it is a smart bridge vs. smart shade. For the benefit of the forum, what are other alternatives for smart bridge receiving wifi or zwave and sending 433 mhz to actually control the shades?

Have the motor’s themselves certified for z-wave or zigbee so it works with more existing automation systems and doesn’t require a man in the middle to connect (like the shades on the first post). It also brings limitations as I previously mentioned where the bridge can only send the blinds or shades to a few preset positions and in most cases the bridge won’t update the current status back or provide updates on the remaining battery life. You also won’t truly know if the shade did move to the position you specified since there is no status updates being sent back.

An integrated shade would give you fine tuned control for your automation (and I know a few members from the community have gone as far as getting the shades to move with the sun so there is never any direct sunlight). The other benefit is that it’s part of your home’s mesh network and especially when powered in extends the range of your mesh network and helps strengthen it and finally these work out of the box as a dimmer switch in pretty much 99% of z-wave compatible hubs. There is no need for another api or system to work in between to tie everything together, you just connect them together and you’re set.

You are right again about benefits of an integrated shade. The question for users is whether all that tuning from a smart shade is worth so much extra cost. Does a user want 34% open vs. 55% or whatever % (higher cost-smart shade), or just want to open and close the shades and pre-set positions (lower cost-smart controller)? Both are good choices depending on your need. And both systems (smart shade or smart controller) operate with SmartThings using preset times or sunset or input from peripherals for full ST home automation capability.

You noted in #399 “alternatives” and “if they are using the 433mhz frequency and not something proprietary there’s a number of devices”. For the benefit of this forum, please share those examples so we all become more knowledgeable.