Z-Wave Died: eeprom write fail

My system is having more Z-Wave problems today, z-wave devices are no longer working. When I checked the hub event logs I saw several occurrences of a very alarming event message:

moments ago HUB Err 112: ZM eeprom write fail Err 112: ZM eeprom write fail

Has anyone encountered this before? I couldn’t find anything on a forum search.
I’ve opened a support case and will wait for them to respond before I take any actions like rebooting.

I really hope my hub didn’t die.

1 Like

These messages are still occurring every few hours. There has been no official response to my support ticket. I also see now in the event logs hundreds of these messages:

2017-03-21 12:45:15.237 AM EDT
7 hours ago	HUB		register	register		register

Zigbee control completely died last night forcing me to reboot the hub. When it rebooted things were randomly switching on and off for close to a minute. It was kind of freaky.

Hub also got in strange loop while led to probably hundreds of repeating HubUpdated messages like these:

2017-03-21 12:43:19.805 AM EDT
7 hours ago	HUB		hubStatus	zw_radio_on		
2017-03-21 12:43:19.801 AM EDT
7 hours ago	HUB		hubStatus	zb_radio_on		
2017-03-21 12:43:19.798 AM EDT
7 hours ago	HUB		hubInfo	hardwareID:000D, version:13, ...		hardwareID:000D, version:13, mac:D0:52:A8:91:0D:6C, localip:192.168.1.5, localSrvPortTCP:39500, localSrvPortUDP:0, zigbeeFWMaj...
2017-03-21 12:43:19.778 AM EDT
7 hours ago	HUB	ENTITY_UPDATE	HubUpdated			Hub 'Home Hub' updated
2017-03-21 12:42:23.330 AM EDT
7 hours ago	HUB		hubStatus	zw_radio_on		
2017-03-21 12:42:23.326 AM EDT
7 hours ago	HUB		hubStatus	zb_radio_on		
2017-03-21 12:42:23.322 AM EDT
7 hours ago	HUB		hubInfo	hardwareID:000D, version:13, ...		hardwareID:000D, version:13, mac:D0:52:A8:91:0D:6C, localip:192.168.1.5, localSrvPortTCP:39500, localSrvPortUDP:0, zigbeeFWMaj...
2017-03-21 12:42:23.302 AM EDT
7 hours ago	HUB	ENTITY_UPDATE	HubUpdated			Hub 'Home Hub' updated

It’s really as if a poltergeist has began haunting my house.

It might have to do with the rollout of the new method for handling hub updates.

Tagging @posborne

We are looking into this… thanks for the patience!

1 Like

Thanks. I figured as much since I see a lot of zwdebug events too. Funny that it didn’t turn up during the beta, I experienced zero issues when the hub was first updated.

Thank you for your help!

Investigating why one of my Enerwave receptacles got booted off the zwave mesh network and I found this line in my hub’s log:

2017-03-26 3:29:40.290 PM CDT
moments ago HUB Err 112: ZM eeprom write fail Err 112: ZM eeprom write fail

Has anyone found out what this means?

No, never got any kind of explanation or follow up. Have not seen the error in a few days however.

My hub still suffers from random z-wave reboots and z-wave timeouts, although not serious they’re annoying.

Well, if your hub is bad, at least you can use the migration tool to move your stuff over to a replacement hub. Oh wait, yeah, about that… COME ON, ST, I know you’re not supporting a v1 to vX hub, but at least support v2 to v2. Do you really expect no one’s hub to ever break?

[Sorry, just had to rant because broken hubs are going to happen @slagle]

2 Likes

Did anybody figure out this error? I’m seeing it now as well.

Nope. The Z-Wave stack clearly has issues. I wish SmartThings would acknowledge it.

1 Like

I’m having the exact same issue this morning

Total z-wave failure

E-Mail support if you haven’t already to report it. I still see these errors occasionally. They usually occur around Z-Wave power cycle events which seem to happen every 3-4 hours. I’ve come to the conclusion that the Z-Wave stack in SmartThings is broken. It works for the most part but not with anywhere near 100% reliability.

1 Like

Same here contacting them now. Thanks

Support says normal. Not sure if that is accurate but he did successfully re-connect my cree bulbs. But something happen today around 2:30 or so and I lost all of my xiaomi motion and temperature sensors.

Woke up this morning to a completely broken Z-Wave network. Tried all the normal troubleshooting. Seeing the eeprom write fail errors. Also this:

Reached out to support, but this is not looking good.

I just experienced this with my hub. Support said to do a repair and cycle the power. Of course that didnt work. Whatever they did on their end brought the zwave module back up.

I am also exeriencing the Err 112: ZM eeprom write fail error. hopefully this isnt the beginning of bad things to come.

I have the same issues as what @erocm1231 and @kristufer experience. Support got back to me after 3 days, just saying that the notice that I rebooted my hub. Rebooted? I did about 20 of those. No further comments. (Co-accidentally, soon after receiving the response email from Support, I noticed that my Z-wave module changed to Functional. It has however afterwards shown the Non-functional state a few times and usually, a power-off reset returned the state to “Functional”. But I could not go on like that any longer).
I replied to Support’s worthless response asking for further assistance, but so far I’ve not heard from them again.
My system ended up being useless, with very few of the Z-wave devices working reliably. So I bought a new hub and had been migrating to the new hub over the weekend - believe me, it is a far bigger job than anticipated.
But at least, so far devices are responding almost instantly (much faster than what they ever had), so my suspicion is that I had a faulty hub all along.

That’s what I had to do. They won’t take responsibility for their hub crapping out. Mine was less then a year old, and yes it is alot of work. You would think that someone would have made an app to do a backup/restore of everything by now.

Support did something to make my module show “Functional” again, but performance and reliability are not what they used to be. If I try to add a new Z-Wave device it will often “freeze” the hub up and I can’t do anything with Z-Wave until I reboot it. I have been trying to add a device for the last couple days and haven’t been able to yet. I can easily add the same device on my second SmartThings hub. Someday I will probably migrate over to it.

I had similar symptoms on my old hub - to add a device was super frustrating and required at least 2 or 3 attempts, sometimes even more. The hub would simply not go into “inclusion” mode (indicated by a flashing green LED). And very often, when devices were eventually included, it happened in non-secure mode, resulting in a repeat of the frustrating process. Although still a tedious process, I was surprised how much easier it was to join devices to the new hub.