Hi everyone – I’ve spent several days researching so I wouldn’t have to ask this question but alas, I have not found exactly what I am looking for. I have read many of the posts on switches, FAQs, etc. First off, my understanding is:
- When you use Smart Bulbs, you cannot (should not) use Smart Switches since they’ll confuse each other and maybe burn out
- To avoid family members and guest from physically turning off switches, one may use a Switch Cover. This may also result in many marriages being saved from divorce court. Or depending on how ugly said Switch cover is, headed to divorce court.
- If I want color in existing recessed lighting sockets, I must use a Smart Bulbs, and therefore, not smart switch
Do I have that right? Here are my 3 specific questions:
- Can I just buy a Philips Hue Dimmer Switch, pre-wire the existing light switch to the ON position, thereby making the Dimmer Switch the control of the smart bulb? This solves an ascetics problem for me.
- If I really want color, what seems to be the most popular choice for a switch cover?
- If I do use a Smart Switch, the lights can be controlled but not used with smart bulbs. What seems to be a popular Smart Switch that is bullet proof with the ST hub? (I am asking because some products that claim to be ST compatible require quite a bit of hoop jumping to make work).