Wired doorbell + contact sensor always "closed"

(Rob Whapham) #1

I have an Aeotec Doorbell device, but because the install location has exterior metal panels, the included doorbell button can’t transmit to the receiver. I was advised here that I could simply get a contact sensor that allows for external wiring and a standard wired doorbell button, and the button would “trigger” the sensor from open to closed. I purchased an Ecolink contact sensor (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HPIYJWU/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2XW9HB5VHKG7H&colid=2B4VWKOV2DG9P) and a wired doorbell button from Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Wired-Lighted-Door-Bell-Push-Button-Mediterranean-Bronze-HB-623-02/205957987). It was my understanding that you could use a lighted button, it just wouldn’t light up (my wife really likes the look of this button). With the wires attached to the contact sensor, I can cross them and see the status go from open to closed. But as soon as I attach both wires to the button terminals, it goes to closed and does not vary when I press and release the button. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Or is this perhaps because it is a lighted button? I’ve attached pics in case it helps diagnose. Thanks.

(James Yeo) #2

Hm…

I use that exact contact sensor, with this button here.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-Doorbell-Button/50227005

To do as you describe. No problems and works great. My button also is designed to light.

I know my post doesn’t help you get yours working, just figured I’d show my equipment in case someone could see a difference, as I Know nothing about nothing and rely on luck!

Please look at this site:

How to Set Up a Door Open Chime/Siren

Maybe off topic. But may help.

(Bill) #4

The doorbell should be just a normally open switch. I can’t see why it would not work properly unless defective. Do you have a meter you can use to test the doorbell?

(Rob Whapham) #5

Pretty sure I can get my hands on one, but I could use a little guidance as to how to use it to test the switch.

(Robin) #6

You would put the meter into continuity mode and see if it beeps when you press the button :wink:

There are different types of light up buttons, some take the power straight from the doorbell circuit, so allow a bit of power to slip through. Others have seperate power wires for the light.

If you have the former then I suspect it’s slipping through the small bit of power supplied by the sensor and thus triggering a closed response.

Suggest you place a dumb relay and power supply onto the button side of the circuit… that way you can have the button lit up and a true dry contact for the sensor.

(Robin) #7

(Rob Whapham) #8

That looks to be exactly what’s happening. I get a small reading with the button “off” and a larger reading with the button on. I will look into your suggestion, though I’ll have to work to decipher the diagram. :grin:

(James Yeo) #9

Glad I lucked out… my button only has the 2 terminals, but must not allow enough to leak by. Total luck, and I wouldn’t have known what to do had my setup not worked the way I wanted! :wink:

(Robin) #10

I’m starting to re-think my advice :frowning:

Doorbell circuits (and the push button you chose) run on 16vac but I can’t find any dumb relays with a coil rated for 16vac… searching US sites from UK is never easy so you might have more luck than me?

(Rob Whapham) #11

Thanks everyone for the help. I went ahead and ordered a replacement button insert that is non-lighted. Hopefully it will fit as expected (both are for 5/8" holes, so we’ll see). I’ve got a light above the door where the bell is that automatically comes on when it’s dark, so really no need for an actual lighted button.

(Mark) #12

Rob, were you able to get things working with a non-lighted button? I’m about to do exactly what you were trying to do. Thanks.

(Rob Whapham) #13

@Mark, yes I was. All works well simply wiring the leads from the non-lighted doorbell button to the terminals in the contact sensor. Unless you use a custom device handler, remember that you’ll want to ring the doorbell when the contact is closed. Somewhat backward from typical contact sensor usage.