Wifi bulbs is there any standard way to integrate them to ST?

I got a mixed set of smart life and magic home pro WiFi bulbs. I’m wondering if there is a stable standard way to make Smartthings have a local control of these? Through a device handler maybe. However I am new to smartthings and already I feel a bit overwhelmed by the complexity required to just get my noname WiFi bulbs to turn on and off in the smartthings app.

Unfortunately not.

1 Like

I guess I need to invest in other more expensive light bulbs. Kinda annoying. Especially because I feel smartthings is more complex than needed.

Not local but you can sync them via the Alexa App. If they can be controlled by Alexa then they can be controlled via a Virtual Switch in SmartThings.

No standard way, the methods vary depending on brand and model of the bulb. See the FAQ:

FAQ: WIFI Devices in ST? How can I integrate a WiFi or Bluetooth device that isn’t on the official compatibility list?

Depends on your definition of “expensive”. Sylvania Smart+, Ikea, Sengled and SmartThings all make bulbs that work with SmartThings and they start at $10 or less.

2 Likes

Except I only have a Google home mini.

Thanks will look it through. I didn’t mention the bulbs are noname Chinese but using the apps I mentioned in my first post

I feel any bulb more than twice a normal bulb price tag is expensive. I feel that though ikea is almost at the right price point the limited colour range compared to cheaper Chinese noname or even slightly more expensive Yeelight makes ikea kinda feel like you are paying for getting less features.

good news is Yeelight works with SmartThings now

1 Like

Yea and I just tried them out think I will be switching all my bulbs out with Yeelight, I am just a little sad I had to double up the price on my bulbs to make them work with ST. I do not even want to think of how much lifx and Philips hue cost.

I am feeling quite lost here. Though I got my two Yeelight to work with smartthings “Sorta”. I have yet to get my 3 magic home or “magic light” bulbs, as some call them, to work with smartthings. and my single Smart Life bulb is even worse off.

The reason I said Sorta with Yeelight is that it is only working in the new Smartthings app And it is only working through the Yeelight Cloud connection. Meaning if I loose my internet I lose my local control…

I am very much disappointed by the complexity of Smartthings Interface and API as well as API Limitations once you want something slightly off to the side, I’m very much considering to abandon it entirely, as there is simply too much work in getting it to work the way I want, with the cheap products that I buy. I knew coming in to the Smartthings universe would be difficult considering how little I am willing to give for bulbs but I guess I failed to understand just how difficult it is.

I’m not willing to host a in-between server just to get my bulbs to work locally with Smartthings.
I am not willing to use Cloud services just to get my bulbs to work locally with Smartthings.
If I am to host anything it will defeat the purpose of Smartthings and then I might as well go with Home Assistant or any of the other local hosted smart home services.

The issue isn’t smartthings. You would run into the same issues with many other home automation hubs. The issue is that there is no Standardized Home Automation command set for Wi-Fi the way there is for some of the other protocols like Z wave or the zigbee that smartthings uses.

Smartthings staff have told us many times That their typical customer has fewer than 15 devices and never uses any custom code. If you stick to that profile, everything will be much simpler. Don’t look for ways to integrate something which isn’t on the official compatibility list. Just stick with what’s there.

For inexpensive bulbs, use IKEA Tradfri bulbs purchased from IKEA. $9.99 Per bulb and they will run locally.

So it can definitely be done, but it’s done by sticking with devices that have official compatibility.

That’s not what most people in these forums do, of course. For power users, one of the strengths of SmartThings has always been that it doesn’t restrict you to just the devices on its official list, which some hubs do. You can write your own code or get code from somebody else in the community. You can find workarounds of many different kinds. And there’s a very active supportive community to help you if you don’t have the technical skills yourself.

And there’s a very active supportive community to help you if you don’t have the technical skills yourself.

But, yes, it’s a pain in the neck to get some of these things working. But it’s your choice.

Stick with the official compatibility list, and almost all of the problems that you describe go away. There may be some other new problems that come in, but that’s a different issue. :wink:

Choice is good. :sunglasses:

Choice is good.

but unnecessary limitations and complexity is not.

I avoided IKEA specifically because of their limited RGB range.
And the rest of the “Officially supported products” are Way out of my price range.

and about writing your own code is fine and all however the limitations in the API pretty much makes it Useless when it comes to Wifi bulbs. I’ve seen a few device handlers that all required a middleman which kinda defeats the purpose, by increasing complexity and increasing the chance of failure because there are more points of possible failures.
Being a Software Developer I’m not normally one to shy away from challenges, which can also be seen in the amount of programming languages I have mastered over the years.

However I’ve been searching high and low for better API documentation, Better Guides or better Tutorials in how I could archive what I wanted, I even found a few device handlers and read them to see if I could compose my own. but it seems all of them come down to the same problem. needing cloud access or needing a middleman to handle local access for the bulbs I have. Both unacceptable, What I do not understand is that they have given us the use of a Language " Groovy" but then say oh but you cannot use UDP. they give us access to half the tools needed.

I’m sorry I guess I’m just doing a Late Night Developers Rant because I cannot get it to work. I don’t blame smartthings entirely I’m also annoyed with the producers of my light bulbs for not giving a API for them, doesn’t exactly make my quest any easier.

Remember that most of the SmartThings hub models do not have a Wi-Fi radio. You can’t communicate directly to them from the WiFi device. And you aren’t allowed to load code onto the hub. Only into the cloud. That’s why you need the “man in the middle” server. On the SmartThings platform, the hub was never intended to run much code. It’s a cloud-based model. The hub is basically a box of radios, and Wi-Fi is not one of them for most of the models.

Have you looked into Hubitat? It’s actually a much more developer friendly system and it all runs locally. Quite a few community members have both Hubitat and smartthings. They use SmartThings for some of the cloud to cloud integrations and use hubitat for all the local stuff.

you are right Smartthings hub doesn’t have WiFi build in however it does have Ethernet Lan connection and that should be enough. I’ve only got a Smartthings v2.

However I have seen the Hubitat however haven’t been able to see anyone inside EU sell it. and I cannot afford importing it from the US. basically on top of the price will be customs and a import fee, both of which would increase the price by at least 50% together.

I guess I understand that Smartthings is about having a cloud connected service rather than actually having a locally run hub.

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.