Wi-Fi now has version numbers, and the next generation of wireless networking will be called Wi-Fi 6

To make life a little easier, the alliance is also applying the numbers retrospectively:

• Wi-Fi 6 to identify devices that support 802.11ax technology
  • Wi-Fi 5 to identify devices that support 802.11ac technology
  • Wi-Fi 4 to identify devices that support 802.11n technology

1 Like

Which one is “Wi-Fi just works”?

Oh… And apparently, based on those headlines, the Alliance and/or Media can’t agree on whether it is called “Wi-Fi” (hyphentated) or “WiFi” (just camel cased…).

1 Like

The alliance trademark (and URL) uses the hyphen. Wi-Fi® But many journalists, even technical and scientific journals, just use WiFi.

https://www.wi-fi.org

3 Likes

@JDRoberts you never disappoint. Even before scrolling, I would have bet dollars to donuts you’d have the answer. :+1:

3 Likes

Well, that one was was sort of a gimmee for a network engineer. :wink:

I think a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that the official logo doesn’t have the hyphen in it. But the trademarked phrase does. The alliance always says that the hyphen is implied by the black/white nature of the logo, that it’s presenting it as two parts. But to be honest that one never made much sense to me.

But then the whole thing actually doesn’t make any sense: it’s just a marketing term. See the following article from 2005:

2 Likes