Why use SmartThings or any Hub for that matter? (Not a troll, real question)

I take your point. And you’re right these systems do enable home automation without a hub. Many thanks for your correction!

1 Like

Maybe, the GE switchs should be able to run w/o the internet but only with the smart lighting app.
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=FAQ

Alexa routines have evolved significantly recently, and can now be triggered by any connected motion or contact sensor, or on schedules, or even on it’s own integrated phone presence. The routines are extremely limited in regards to conditions or complex logic though.

I use webCoRE for pretty much everything these days, but my wife sometimes uses Alexa because she’s scared of webCoRE and the Alexa routine creator is really simple and easy for her to use. When I see an Alexa routine I ask her what she was trying to accomplish, recreate it with more complex and refined logic in webCoRE, and then delete the Alexa routine.

My FIL has an Echo, a handful of wifi outlets, and a connected garage door opener. For him, the Alexa routines do everything he needs. He’s expressed some interest in smart lighting and door/window sensors though, so I could easily see him outgrowing the Alexa routine capabilities before long.

1 Like

I believe only motion sensors and contact (door/window) sensors are currently supported to initiate routines.

1 Like

I have 8-9 Aqara motion and probably 15-20 open/close sensors that never had issues paring. It doesn’t get cheaper than $7-$10 a pop. I might have been very lucky, I do not remember connection issues with any, except one.

I am guessing OP has some other issues in his environment/setup.

Ah, you’re right, corrected above to reflect that. I guess I was thinking of things that could be controlled with Alexa routines.

My locks also show up as trigger options, along with voice commands, mobile presence, and Echo buttons.

2 Likes

The locks will throw an error if you try to add them as a trigger. Maybe useable in the future?

1 Like