Why Smartthings?

Sorry! My bad… I thought st was community based, much like domoticz is… maybe I should’ve phrased the question confronting st to the rest of home automation platforms?

Less and less, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Ouch…

I am calling on all the founders to explain themselves. Who is still around?

SmartThings Founders:
Alex Hawkinson, Andrew Brooks, Jeff Hagins, Ben Edwards, James Stolp, Scott Vlaminck and Jesse O’Neill-Oine

According to:

• Alex Hawkinson - gone
  • Andrew Brooks - gone
  • Jeff Hagins - gone
  • Ben Edwards - gone
  • James Stolp - gone
  • Scott Vlaminck - MN?
  • Jesse O’Neill-Oine - MN?

(I am worried about the MN office. I don’t think Samsung has a real presence there.)

4 Likes

A little off topic but… we just recently moved into a larger office here in Minneapolis because of lack of space and the development team here is the largest its ever been. Pretty much all of the backend development happens in Minneapolis, Mobile development is split between Samsung Mobile HQ (Korea) and the Samsung Research America office in Mountain View. I don’t think our Minneapolis presence is going away anytime soon (and yes, Jesse & Scott are in Minneapolis and have been the ones most involved in the actual development of SmartThings)

Also while you’re right that CoRE users are a small amount of our total user base, the few thousand number is really low. :slight_smile:

To answer the question here though - I got SmartThings because I didn’t want to have to worry about if a device was compatible or not AND all I cared about was the end result (home being automated). The second point is why I didn’t go with Home Assistant/Open HAB (those were the other 2 I looked into as well), setting up a raspberry pi/server, writing yaml files, etc… were all just impediments to my end goal and $100 was worth the convenience that using SmartThings offers.

13 Likes

Yes, this price is hard to beat. Any RPi-based setup will cost you more when you add the price of Z-Wave dongle, SD card, power supply, case, etc. And it still will be less functional for a mainstream user than ST today (e.g. no Zigbee support), although you’ll get an advantage of integration with many obscure and legacy systems outside of mainstream.

4 Likes

Thank you! This is as good as it gets… Keep up the good work guys, folks in the community and the unestinated number of thousands of others are here to moan when you take our contact books away and to cheer when new progress is made! Good luck with our migration…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

:slight_smile: To be completely honest… I share the same frustration with the removal of that feature without an alternative.

7 Likes

@geko - nice to see you here. I am curious to know what hub(s) you’re using these days? I have a friend that is still using Smart Alarm as his main home security application. It still has some very nice benefits over SHM.

3 Likes

At a current price of $115, Hubitat is amazingly approaching this particular hurdle. It’s “Android TV box” based (not rPi), but includes both Z-Wave, ZigBee, and is aiming for the mainstream market (with "early adopter caveats). I’m not affiliated with Hubitat. Just find the company and product interesting. Will it just be a business case study, a gadget with a cult following, or a startup that eventually is a serious contender among the current giants?

3 Likes

I’ve been using SmartThings as my primary system since May 2014, more than 4 years now. I’ve tried many others over the years, both off-the-shelf and open-source DIY systems, but in the end, I have to admit that although being far from perfect, SmartThings offers pretty good value for the money. At any rate, after four years of use, the cost of switching to something else would be pretty high for me. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I learned about ST a few months before the v2 hub came out, when I was researching options for DIY home monitoring. I agree with everything that’s been said re: multi-protocol support, the community that can write amazing device handlers and smartapps to take advantage of the protocols the hub supports, and all that for 100 bucks.

But the platform has been so disappointing at the same time, or fell short in so many ways.

-1 for no way to migrate or restore hub configurations
-1 for waaaay too slow progress on local execution
-1 for platform meltdowns that have required me to disable SHM for weeks (in March 2016), so that my family isn’t constantly terrorized by phantom intrusion alerts
-1 for removing features and not replacing them (dashboard took over a year, who knows with the contact book)
-1,000 for basically blowing up the whole system as it’s tried to work since 2013. Maybe the new one will be better, but someone at Samsung made a choice to leave some of us stranded.

On that last one, I agree with Terry that they have to do what they have to do as a business, and this community is only a small part of their user base.

But at this point, I am committed to finding another option. Or trying to at least.

3 Likes

For me, the answer is always the same. Every system has pluses and minuses. Every system has misleading marketing. You have to do your own research to find the one which is the best match to your own needs and preferences. And, of course, budget, for both time and money, :sunglasses:

There are a lot of pretty good systems out there in the low cost range, including SmartThings. But they are wildly different in terms of protocols supported, number of devices you can have an one account, amount of customization you can do, MFOP ( maintenance free operating period), complexity of rules supported, amount of technical skill required, etc. and the use cases that people want to solve vary a lot as well. So each person just has to do their own research.

There’s no way to answer your friend’s question without asking them some questions first about what they want to do, what MFOP they require, what their budget is, etc.

5 Likes

Not sure I understand this… And since it has a weight of negative 1000, I’d like to be sure…

1 Like

Pushing the new app out before it was finished. Making everyone convert to a new Samsung account. Retiring the custom groovy device handlers and smartapp code.

That stuff. Must’ve made sense to someone at Samsung, either to tie in with their other, much larger product lines like appliances, or to meet the needs of the mass market ST audience. But it felt like a middle finger in many ways to power users.

6 Likes

This is definitely the item that most affects this Community.

The ironic part is that SmartThings has a direct-line to the most affected customers (i.e., us) and could have laid out the plan in some reasonable degree of detail (even with no dates attached).

Yes - We were told stuff, but only in general:

• There’s a new App which will replace Classic, and there’s a whole new API in open Beta, but unfinished.
  • Old SmartApps and DTHs will continue to function … “indefinitely”.

We were not told:

• The new App will be recommended to all new Customers and will be called the same as the old App, even though they don’t have feature parity.
  • The merging of SmartThings and Samsung Login IDs will be confusing; so here are the details so that we can provide peer support.
  • The new API has an entirely different Community Forum, and, by-the-way, everyone responsible for this original Community Forum has been given different roles and/or left the company.
  • The CEO and CTO left (neither even said “goodbye & thanks” to the Kickstarter backers and other early adopters who help make them wealthy).
  • New DTHs and SmartApps are not being approved/certified/published because the manager of the Device Certification department left the company, and Samsung hasn’t built a replacement department and process yet.

I think Samsung missed an opportunity to start off on the right foot. So far, developer support in the new portal has been pretty prompt; though I haven’t asked any complicated questions yet.

2 Likes

What/where’s the new portal?

1 Like

https://smartthings.developer.samsung.com/

3 Likes

You’d be very surprised by the number of WC instances installed. Very.