Where are all the V2 Excitement Posts?

As @lmosenko stated. This functionality does exist. Can you supply us an example of what you are expecting the automation to do? Maybe there is something we’re not understanding.

1 Like

neither of these work on V2 you can only have one user.

The big thing about v2 is a lot of the cool stuff about it isn’t present yet. Local apps? Well, that only works with SmartLighting, and only if you have certain bulbs (Hue not supported, for example). Bluetooth? Present but disabled. Video? Well that’s pretty cool, but not the biggest draw for me personally. Someone else (sorry, can’t remember who, and I’m paraphrasing as well) said it best - the main reason I upgraded to the v2 hub is that it would be more of a pain to perform an upgrade in a few months or a year when I have my setup expanded out further.

2 Likes

I have no doubt and firmly believe in ST and the ability to be the best in class for HA. but only one user especially for an alarm is crippling.

That said i still have faith in the product and the fine people that are supporting it. I just think this is priority one.

Are you saying you can’t have more than 1 mobile phone as a presence sensor with V2 like you can with V1? This surely can’t be true…

Yes it is true. At the moment I am afraid tech support is getting all the excitement posts.

This surely IS true. I have logged a ticket and my reply back was they were working on it but gave me no timetable on when it will be fixed or how I will be notified.

That aside, this is my first experience with ST and i will say overall i really LIKE my v2 hub and have been primarily using it for lights, locks, windows and have a siren. I tested out the security function last night and for the most part it worked.

Anyway, I am excited to keep adding and trying and really hopeful the fix the buggy platform.

For you guys wondering about this multiple user thing, are you first time users straight on v2 or did you move from v1 to v2 and deleted the user (sub user in your terms) as a part of migration?

I have the issue as a new user setting up on v2. But you can have additional phones act as presence sensors if you sign up for Life360 and use the integration instead of setting them up as Smartthings users.

Woah, that’s a deal-breaker for me. I’ve got all kinds of modes and logic tied to when people come and go. That’s a terrible, terrible hole.

I completely agree. The speed improvement is awesome…and routines are working perfectly. No more incorrect reporting or lights off at the wrong time. I have 16 devices and migrated in a couple of hours. So far, I’m loving the experience!

1 Like

This is not true, i have 2 ST Presence sensor, 1 ST Mobile Presence and 2 virtual presence sensors all working well on hub v2. User accounts are not required for presence as i only have 1.

4 Likes

I need 2 mobile presence sensors, though. That’s what I use now with v1.

1 Like

If (at all mobile presence) it’s not there right now for multiple users, it will come soon, buddy! This is the base for most of the routines related to modes like Away and Home corresponding to Good Bye’s I am back, SHM and what not if not using life360 or presence sensors. I am sure it will be there! Just a little patience! Things will fall into place. :wink:

FWIW I believe ifttt can do presence too, there are recipes for entering and exiting an area. I setup a test one that works great.

I personally use Life360 which is rock solid. Maybe a touch slow to respond (edit: compared to fobs, not to ST native or IFTTT which are both similar in speed to Life360), I simply increased the geofence size. Very reliable.

2 Likes

I have 2 fobs and a mobile sensor and it works fine.

1 Like

I have two mobile phone presence setups and one presence sensor and it works fine. This is a v1 to v2 setup with two users - my wife and mine. I notice light works more regularly (ge jasco wall switch with 4 led flood lights). Still some issue with movement sensor when we dont move for thirty minutes and light shuts off and then we wave our arms comedically trying to trigger movement sensor so light turns back on. I think thats the ecolink sensor issue but not sure.
Overall v2 works similarly to v1 with slight improvement in lighting reliability.

3 Likes

One positive thing for me moving to hub 2. My zigbee channel changed and now all my Peq motion sensors not dropping out or stuck on “motion”. I also moved 4 of my GE links back to ST from Hue hub and they are also working.

2 Likes

Would you believe this ‘issue’ is one of the PLUS points that has me very excited to switch to ST, why? We Wink hub users would KILL to have an average response time of 3-4 seconds :smiley:

This is what makes me laugh, if you think 3-4 seconds, occasionally, is bad I’m glad you didn’t get a Wink hub, perspective is a wonderful thing :smiley:

4 Likes

This is a positive review of the Hub V2.

My old system consisted of the following: Amazon Echo x2, Hue Hub, Wink Hub, Lux Light x2, Hue Light x2, GE Link bulb x18, Motion sensor x1, Door/Window sensor x2, Honeywell Wifi Thermostats x2.
This was not a very large or complex system and it did very little other than turn on/off lights. The motion sensor was used for a day due to the HUGE delay from the Wink hub. The same goes for the door/window sensors while on Wink. There were 10 second delays as the NORM. Phillips bulbs were on the Hue hub and the GE LInk bulbs were on the Wink hub. Everything was voice controlled via the Echo’s. The thermostats were only accessible via the Honeywell App.

The NEW system is exactly the same as the old system, except the Wink hub is sitting in a box (anyone want to buy it for 20 bucks plus shipping?). The system has been online for about a week.

Migration from old to new hub - It was very surprisingly easy. After reading all of the horribly negative posts on here about problems from V1 to V2 users I was really concerned. I had all of the devices moved off of the Wink hub and installed on the ST hub within 2 hours. Though, I did eat dinner in there at some point too.

Stability - The ST Hub V2 has been incredibly stable. The Wink hub was the same, except for the long delays, lights not responding, not talking to Echo… Ok, it sucked and my family was ready to send me packing because of the lights not working.

Reliability - The hub has been online for about a week and I have to say that the family has really come around. My wife has even begun to take an interest in HA and is coming up with ideas for the routines, apps, and has even been positive about buying more devices.
I have not had a single device drop offline.

Speed - The hub is incredibly fast and responsive. When I ask Alexa to turn on the kitchen lights it is almost instant. They are on before she is done saying “OK”. The same with turning them off. The laundry room has 2 GE bulbs triggered by the door sensor. The lights are on before you are done opening the door. (with the Wink hub I could go in there, find what I needed, run into the dryer, and back out before the lights came on).

Hub V2 Summary - I am extremely pleased with the hub and the system as a whole. I now have the thermostats connected, but only for monitoring. They are run by a strict programming and we tend to not change them very much. The hub is fast,stable, and best of all it has been extremely easy pairing devices. I reset all of my kitchen lights (5) and they paired at once all at the same time with the hub. Overall, I give the V2 hub 5 out of 5 stars.

ST App V2 - I like the app. It flows well and I really don’t have a problem with it. I am a tech guy and I researched this site for weeks before taking the plunge. I also never used the V1 app, so I can’t compare there. I can compare it to the Wink app and honestly while the ST app is nicer looking it is missing functionality that I really enjoyed with the Wink hub.

Missing App items that I can think of right this second -
No group on/off control. If you want to turn off the lights in the app it must be done one at a time. This is really annoying and honestly takes away from the pleasure of HA.
No “All off” option either.

Pros -
The app flows smoothly for me, but I figured out the problems early with the solutions due to my reading the posts here. If I would have started out fresh it would have sucked. Overall though the app is good and I see a lot of room for improvement and expansion.
The ability to really customize your system.
Routines and smart lighting are wonderful. My wife really loves them. I like that I can turn lights on and off with the routines, it is a really great feature.
Smart lighting app is great. I use it almost exclusively.

Cons -
All of the negative stuff listed above. but…

The stupid app is constantly freezing and crashing. The stability reminds me of an AMC Gremlin. I just keep waiting for a kick in the butt and fire! I literally have to restart the app 20 times a day!

Integration with Amazon Echo -
Absolutely wonderful. I have no issues with the system as I have it. Echo is responsive and the hub is working perfectly with it. I did not jump into the HA world until I had voice control. I do not believe automation consist in taking about a phone or tablet, navigating to what I want and then pressing a button. I’m a Trekky so my idea of automation consists of “Computer, what time is it?”.

Overall, I’m extremely impressed with the Hub and I highly recommend that you jump on it. If you are coming from the V1 hub, I can’t say if your should or not. But if you are coming from another system, DO IT NOW and INCLUDE AMAZON ECHO!!!

Thanks

5 Likes