What is your favorite Smart Device and why,

Smart lock, speaker, sprinkler etc. What is your favorite and why?

Mine is Alexa integration with all of my devices.

1 Like

Definitely Alexa. Changed my life. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Here is my top 10ā€¦

1 Like

Which did you buy?

Bobby

Why did you go with this lock?

Kwikest 914 Smart Lock (z-wave)11 - because no door should be left unlocked when it could be done automatically and without the fear of being locked out.

Why did you need both
MimoLite Relay14 - because no garage door should stay closed when your car approaches

And

MyQ Opener10 - because one must know if SmartThings presence sensor misfired and accidentally opened the garage door

Lastly was Bloomsky necessary? I have a Rainmachine and itā€™s weather service has been on point and reports humanity and chance of rain. Does Rach.io not deliver?

I wanted zwave and was the newer model of 910 when I got mine. I like the design of the lock tooā€¦

My Q was among the first gadgets I bought for HA in my Wink days. Then when I came to ST, I wanted a mesh opener that could run locally one day. And when v2 came out that day arrivedā€¦ :smile: I retired My Q a long time ago.

Not necessary to run Rachio but necessary to have my own weather station. Rain Machine is what I had before Rachio, but I killed it because I donā€™t like companies who force you to upgrade your tech. When Rain Machine 2 came out, had features not available for v1 users. That to me is bad business. Rchio maintains features on v1 and v2 alike (I have v1 and very happy with it).

Bloomsky is great but I find Netatmo better. Needless to say, I am running both and I donā€™t remember last time I opened the Bloomsky app. I donā€™t even have it connected in ST anymoreā€¦

So you have the newer Chamberlain? And no longer use MimoLite?

Very smart. It just seems there are a few points of possible failure. But I think you setup a great idea

Personally, I have to say my favorite is my echo devices. I have 3 echos and 6 dots. They are literally the heart of my home control.

I look at my system as two independent systems.

The first is the automation control. That is handled by CoRE and smart lighting. Those take care of the every day things.

The second is the control of the system. Thatā€™s where the Alexa comes in. Along with EchoSistant I have total control of the house.

So, to pick a device, my echoes.

3 Likes

The other way aroundā€¦

I feel bad about saying it but it is the presence device function of the SmartThings app on my phone. Most automations happen when someone leaves, someone returns or dependent on the fact if the house is occupied or not without any further interaction.

2 Likes

Definitely Amazon Echo. It changes the way my wife and kids interact with tech and music.

1 Like

This is from a while ago, very interested to hear more of these stories as Iā€™m looking for next steps to take on the SH journey.

Try the quick browse lists in the community ā€“ created wiki. If you go down to the bottom of that page, there is a ā€œproject reportsā€ section. there are two lists there that you might find interesting.

The first is the ā€œget startedā€ list. It includes topics like ā€œtop 10 things to do with smartthingsā€œ and ā€œwhat device should I buy next?ā€œ :sunglasses:

The second is the ā€œimpress your friendsā€œ list. All kinds of fun stuff there, from a secret room to a magic wand.

Anyway check it out. This is a very creative community, and there are a lot of really cool projects.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

Of course, once you do that, you might also need the following thread. :wink:

2 Likes

Another vote for Alexa (echo dot and spot for me). My Ecobee thermostats are a close second.

1 Like

I donā€™t really have a favorite deviceā€¦ not anymoreā€¦ now itā€™s more of a favorite automation.

This week itā€™s having the ability to be away from home and see something on the internet that I want printed. I turn on my 3D printer via Alexa and upload my files to it. I watch it print with my camera and itā€™s ready when I get home.

Maybe not so much an automation, but still my favorite for the week!

1 Like