What is a good low cost solution for zwave controlled LED under cabinet lighting?

I went with this $28 solution Supernight RGBWW lighting before I purchased my SmartThings hub. So I was doing wireless color and on/off control with the supplied IR button control. But now I can automate turning them on and off with a basic z-wave switch powering up the plug. I find I don’t change the color settings after tweaking it to the color I wanted so the on-off works fine.

UPDATE: I would highly recommend if you are going with RGB LED strips to use @erocm1231 super slick and inexpensive $15 H801 RGBW Controller solution for a lost cost custom method. Due to the high price of a $70 Fibaro RGBW Controller I just used on-off control from my smart in wall switch originally. But you can’t go wrong for the inexpensive price of the H801 and you get more functionality because I can control both my upper and lower cabinet lighting independently but from only one controller.
I ended up replacing all my SuperNight RGBW strips under cabinet lighting with Cold White Double Row LED strips that outperform the RGBW strips hands down. I found that the wife wasn’t really using the color under the cabinets but wanted the increased lighting for task lighting. So actual installation now is I have the RGBW upper cabinets and dual LED lower. I can control everything(colors, dimmers, levels etc) using @erocm1231 smartapp and device handlers. I needed three for my installation because of the locations of my cabinets and they work GREAT thanks to @erocm1231 hard work. Here is the updated photos

That being said having warm white was actually very nice for the kitchen and the RGBWW capability looks killer in the kitchen. I don’t miss not being able to automate my color changes but instead manually using the IR button controller is just fine for me.

I was just playing with the color capability here. I eventually just settled on a much dimmer setting of a warmer white to give it a glow above the cabinets whereas under cabinets on the counter top I did full 100% setting with a slightly orange tint. I was still in the process of putting up crown molding but you get the idea anyway as far as cabinet lighting.

I used standard corner molding and mounted it underneath at the front of the cabinet and inverted to give me the angle I wanted to attach the LED strip so that it would point the LED’s lights back toward the back wall to give the future back splash a little pop as well as light on the counter work space. It worked out great.

UPDATE: Thanks to @bamarayne I am remounting the LED’s under the cabinet on this aluminum channel system due to the reflection off the granite counter tops and a much cleaner installation.

7 Likes