What do you guys think is best ST compatible smartlock currently?

You mean in the knob / handle…that makes better sense. No need for 2! :smile:

In my application the handle does not have a lock so the deadbolt needed traditional key operation as well.

If it were not for that I may have selected the Yale due to the capacitive screen ; however, I personally find the Schlage versions to be more visually appealing.

No, on the inside of the deadbolt, there is a thumb-turn to lock/unlock the door from the inside. the outside just has the touch pad. I dont use my handle/knob lock anymore, just my Yale deadbolt.

Yale offers many model variations, some with the traditional keyhole, some without. I believe Schlage does too.

I’m sure the answer is somewhere else in the forum (and somewhat discussed above too) but are there any smart locks that allow you to keep your current key functional? It may be a dumb questions but I’m trying to ease my wife into HA and if I take her house keys from her, I think she won’t like it :smile:

Many models offer an additional regular key that goes along with the lock.

If you want to keep the exact same key that you currently have, you could have the lock rekeyed. It’s just depends on the fit so you would need to talk to to a locksmith.

The other alternative is to go with one of the retrofit locks like the danalock (which is on the official compatibility list for smartthings) or the August lock (which is a different protocol and not compatible with SmartThings).

Read the reviews: the danalock just doesn’t score very high. But it does work for some people, so you could try it.

The retrofit locks fit over your existing deadbolt on the inside of the door, so you could still use your same keys. But most people like the other locks better.

This depends on what you are using currently.

Kwikset models with the SmartKey option allow you to re-key the lock to match your existing Kwikset key.

Thank you both for your quick answers - very useful!

I’ve never had an issue with ST randomly unlocking my Yale lock, though there have been one or two instances where it falsely reported the door as unlocked. (I have mine configured to automatically relock after 30 seconds, so I was confident that ST was incorrectly reporting.)

While the Yale lock has z-wave technology, it works fine as a standalone without being integrated into a smart home system. So, for example, if your ST v1 hub goes offline because the internet is down, you can still use the keypad to unlock and lock the door.

2 Likes

Ditto, except I’m using the Schlage Camelot (also ANSI Grade 1). Be advised though, that there are four finish options and two model variations - the BE469 and BE468, which are identical except for the omission of alarm functionality in the 468.

Good point, but keep in mind that there is no interchangeability (and thus no chance of rekey) between Schlage ↔ Kwikset. If you go with either brand, you have to go all in, or accept that you’ll have different keys for different doors. It’s not as big a negative as you might think though, since you’ll have little reason to actually use the key.

I love this feature. I replaced all the locks with Kwikset when I first moved in to my house in 2008 and decided on these locks because of this. It helped that the front door already had one, but the other locks didn’t match. I wanted everything to have one key. Added bonus when someone moved out of the house, I just got a new key set and rekeyed the locks. Now I’ve replaced the front door lock with the 916 and just as easily keyed that to match the rest of the doors.

2 Likes

You can retro the lock cylinder so that they use the same key blank. That may be more than most wish to get into; however, it’s quite easy.

1 Like

What about Z-Wave for the Kwikset 916? I assume I’m having problems with the status of the lock displaying correctly in the app because you only support Zigbee for the 916?

I’ve got both the Schlage Connect and a Yale YRD-210. Both locks seems to work pretty well. However my Yale seems to jam pretty often where as that hasn’t happened with the Schlage yet. I have my Schlage as my outdoor lock and my Yale as my indoor lock (door leading to the garage). I like the styling of the Schlage as it looks more “professional” but both locks seem to be built pretty durable. The Yale lock does have a rubber pad that goes between the backplate and the door, my Schlage didn’t have that so I like that as an extra small touch. Both locks I got for about $115 on eBay, though the Yale seems to be more expensive generally.

Support from ST seems to be lacking on both beyond the basic of lock/unlock. Maybe there’s something I’m missing but I’ve been using the code manager smartapp for my Yale lock and that seems to work great.

The 916 Z-Wave is listed as compatible here http://www.smartthings.com/compatible-products
Also, I use it (and love it) :smile:

I think I messed up and used the wrong reply button in the other thread - was your hub right next to the lock when you paired?

1 Like

If you have a CHL, it’s like carrying with a round in the chamber, you just have to get over it.
Go watch some bump lock videos on youtube and you will be sold! Also you probably have two other entry doors, and a nine volt battery can be used in a pinch.

You might be able to upgrade your Schlage Connect? Here is enhanced smart device code from @garyd9 (Enhanced) Z-Wave Schlage Touchscreen Lock

Do I have to be something separate for the Yale to make it work with SmartThings? I’ve read on Amazon reviews it needs an additional Z-Wave controller.

How is the reliability for you? I’ve also read a number of reviews that make it sound like the touchscreen is a problem. I like the smaller form factor and the touchscreen of the Yale, but the Schlage looks to be the powerhorse (way more reviews for example).

The SmartThings hub is one white plastic box that contains several different components, including a Z wave controller. So you don’t need any other Z wave controller, the SmartThings hub performs that function.

Both the Schlage and the Yale zwave models are excellent locks. They have somewhat different features. The yale has a true capacitive screen, like that of a current smartphone. The Schlage has the older kind of touch screen where you actually have to press down to get it to work. The Yale is a bit quieter. The Schlage comes in more colors. The Yale used to have more autolock features, I’m not sure if that’s still true. Most Older Schlage locks have a four digit user code, the Yale allows for more variable codes. The Schlage tends to cost a bit less. So it’s just a matter of personal preference.

What @JDRoberts said. I use mine with the lock code manager written by @ethayer. One of my favorite smart apps. I can’t comment on the performance of the touchscreen in cold weather, but the hot Florida sun beats on it directly for about 4 hours and it still works perfectly.

Thanks, just trying to figure out which Yale’s have Z-Wave and which don’t. I like the version without a keyhole, but not sure if that’s with Z-Wave.