Weekly Update from Alex - 07/02/16

I voted “No not satisfied…” for that reason. Bought this hub v2 over 6 months ago because it offered/promised local processing. Here we are, almost 1 year since the Hub was released and still nothing. I feel I have been duped. The current hub, in its current state, offers me nothing more than V1 hub. There is $200 bucks I wont see back any time soon :frowning:

1 Like

It seems hard to believe anyone would be unhappy with “the direction in which SmartThings is headed,” except, perhaps, for those who won’t even look at it until it has a specific integration (Lutron, HomeKit, whatever).

The future has no content. It’s a blank screen onto which you can project whatever your imagination comes up with, good or bad. It’s a Kickstarter campaign. What gets promised and what gets delivered rarely align.

My own favorite consumer product survey question?

“Would you recommend this to a friend?”

Lots of ways to drill down from there, of course.

“Would you recommend this to a friend who wanted a low maintenance system?”

“Would you recommend this to a friend who has no technical background?”

Etc

I don’t intend this in any way as a metaphor for SmartThings itself, but just as a comment on the challenges of designing surveys that ask about the future --i’m pretty sure you would’ve gotten a 90% or higher approval rating for the question “are you happy with the direction the ship is heading?” from passengers on the Titantic the day before it hit the iceberg. :wink:

9 Likes

I think the poll would have been really insightful if the “mass exodus” selected what they had exited to ie Vera, Iris, Homeseer, etc

VeraPlus here. Local control is great. Notifications are lacking though. Still trying to figure out how to make that work better.

It would not be fair to ask this question, after only three months since @alex stated his goal. We all know that effort has been made to stabilze the platform. The question is how people perceive the progress that has been made since April. If I would be asked today, if I could recommend this product, my decision would be based on a period much longer than 3 months.

Interesting. I would consider this a fair question on any day that the product is offered for sale at general retail, particularly a product being offered by one of the largest companies in the world at mass market retailers like Sears.

Samsung is #13 on Fortune’s Global 500 list, and has been on that list for over 20 years. If they think the product is ready to have their name on the box, then “would you recommend this to a friend?” seems like a reasonable customer satisfaction question.

JMO

7 Likes

Don’t let the forum threads put a downer on your outlook of your system that hasn’t had many issues.

1 Like

Must not be talking about ST.

Don’t let your ST system put a downer on your life. It’s all relative and when I look at the issues people have in life, ST is way down my list of issues.

3 Likes

Just varies for each person. Some of us have life issues that magnify the impact of ST issues for us. For example, I have to pay someone else just to pop the batteries in a sensor if a reset is required.

I agree there’s no reason to let a struggle with a relatively inexpensive home automation system become a major problem, psychologically or otherwise. But there are many different ways to address that situation. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Agreed.

The issue is… is ST a value add in that the Automation/Services it provides exceed the cost of deploying/maintaining it.

If it doesn’t, which it hasn’t yet for me, one would eventually just move on.

What keeps some of us going, including myself, is that HA/ST can be a enjoyable engineering hobby. If valued only for the actual results, I would have tossed it already.

Aspirationally, ST is great. Episodically, it’s terrible.

4 Likes

And then there are people like me… People that set things up just to test the limit so that is does break… Only so we have an excuse to fix and do it all over again… Normal call us gluttons for punishment.

But, in all of my little adventures, you’ll see that I only complain about the things that are not within my control but should, by common sense and standard expectations of a consumer, be rock solid and are the direct responsibility of the company.

Do not let the forums sway your opinions of the product. It is a good product, in many many different ways. But it has its negative aspects as well.

Instead, ask yourself if this product fits your needs. Does it push the envelope of your comfort level of expectations? Does it have a historical history that fulfills your desires? And basically, are you willing to put in the time and effort, are you able to put in the time and effort, required to custom tailor this system to be what you expect?

Yes, it is marketed as an off the shelf ready to go system, but it is only that if you wish to turn on a light. Otherwise, it is most definitely an at best, medium skill level DIY project. And in many ways, you are most definitely going to want to have some technical background or ability.

In summary, try it, and make your own opinion.

5 Likes

I do love these kind of discussions as it highlights how everybody’s needs and expectations are different.
I have a simple setup controlling bulbs, Dimmers, outlets, contact sensors and motion sensors. No alarm system but just alerts when things happen.
For the past few months things have been running faultlessly. Lights have been turning on and off etc.

I am in UK using a V2 hub and perhaps this could be playing a part. ( less load maybe)?

BUT…I can see that people are having issues and from what I can see are not always being addressed.

One thing that I do feel is a MUST is a backup/restore tool.
If my hub decides to die, it will probably take me weeks to get everything back to how I have them now should I need to replace my hub.

4 Likes

I second that! I have found a value add so far with my investment but at the same time I am looking at plan B to switch to Homeseer as well.

For me I wouldn’t call it terrible but certainly far from ideal.

So true, I got swayed in because of the SHM but soon found out you get what you pay for on that end and
SHM is not even in the same ball field with a basic standalone security system I wanted to replace.

1 Like

Well… To be pedantic, a voter could believe that SmartThings is headed for the crapper and actually “be happy” about it. So that vote wouldn’t be very meaningful, yet valid.

Polling is difficult, @SBDOBRESCU!

3 Likes

These so called safe guards you mentioned doesn’t seem to be working since my Routines are failing just as “reliably” as before.

For example, I have a simple Routine that starts when there is motion in the mornings to turn on some switches only once per day. This Routine only works when I first create it then never runs again after that. I have to delete and recreate to make it run but again only runs once then never runs again.

Routines in general are VERY unreliable when it comes to running automatically and I try to use Smart Lighting for everything BUT you guys removed the “only once per day” option from Smart Lighting so I have no other choice but to use Routines for things I need to run only once per day, which fails most of the time.

It seems like to your company doesn’t have an internal process where your decision makers actually use their own products at home. If you were forced to live with your own product on a day to day basis at home I think you’ll understand the frustration people have with your products. Using/testing in the office not the same.

I got my SmartThings this May 2016 and it’s been nothing but frustration to get the basics working. Very unreliable. In fact getting complicated tasks done is way more reliable using community codes (i.e. CoRE) vs. getting simple things done using basic built-in functions such as Routines.

I know you guys are getting a lot of pressure from Samsung to get their priorities done but I really hope that you guys don’t follow their mentality of giving priority to new features vs. getting existing platform/features working properly/reliably.

Thanks for the continued updates but please put priority in the short term to reliability rather than new features/functions/services.

This statement is something Alex and the leadership team evaluated when the March platform issues came around. We are, as a company, almost completely focused on the basics right now. We had to look up the definition of the word no, but we think we understand it now.

Definitely looking into this. There was some work done about 4 weeks ago to see what the core problems were and I didn’t hear the result. I’ll be looking into what we found.

2 Likes

Is no more difficult than keeping the HA setup running, but I love it! And it is certainly very refreshing to read comments like yours and @JDRoberts. I am still amused by the Titanic analogy. One thing is clear, as vibrant as this community is, and as resilient to the curve balls ST throws at us, sometimes, it’s all worth sticking around and once in a while throw some rocks in the water to make sure everone else is still alive.

2 Likes

I do the similar thing but I use Smart Lighting… never fails

Please throw tomatoes at me.
I love ST…it always works for me. Always.
No other system allows me to easily write my own programs.
If a feature is under repair, I code around it until its fixed.
I totally refuse to whine and cry and take my toys and go home.
The only thing that would break my heart is if it went forever off line.

15 Likes