Weekly Update from Alex - 07/02/16

This statement is something Alex and the leadership team evaluated when the March platform issues came around. We are, as a company, almost completely focused on the basics right now. We had to look up the definition of the word no, but we think we understand it now.

Definitely looking into this. There was some work done about 4 weeks ago to see what the core problems were and I didn’t hear the result. I’ll be looking into what we found.

2 Likes

Is no more difficult than keeping the HA setup running, but I love it! And it is certainly very refreshing to read comments like yours and @JDRoberts. I am still amused by the Titanic analogy. One thing is clear, as vibrant as this community is, and as resilient to the curve balls ST throws at us, sometimes, it’s all worth sticking around and once in a while throw some rocks in the water to make sure everone else is still alive.

2 Likes

I do the similar thing but I use Smart Lighting… never fails

Please throw tomatoes at me.
I love ST…it always works for me. Always.
No other system allows me to easily write my own programs.
If a feature is under repair, I code around it until its fixed.
I totally refuse to whine and cry and take my toys and go home.
The only thing that would break my heart is if it went forever off line.

15 Likes

How do you make it run only once per day?

Edit: To be clear, I only want it to run only once per day and never again.

Sorry, you caught me before I edited to similar. I run it when its dark in the early morning only and then switches off after 10min of no motion.

@dalec - Trust me, I love ST. It’s fun and my house is much cooler. Just for now, I can’t risk the kid. It sounds weird. I am going to trust this $9 device versus the tons of $$$ I’ve spent on HA. For now I just use both. It does defeat the purpose of the recessed sensors.

1 Like

I had to vote a reluctant ‘no’. If there was a third option along the lines of

not really, but I like where it is headed

I’d have gone with that.
I’ve had lots of problems with my very basic setup which still consists of only the starter kit and extra presence sensors becuase even that simple setup is so unreliable. I’m often waking up to a ****load of notifications saying members of my house have been out during the night when clearly this isn’t the case. I dont know if its a fundamentally flawed platform design or genuinely bugs that can be ironed out. Given presence sensors stopped working altogether and it took around four months to resolve last year, I’m worried its the former.

That said, I’m still thinking of adding some Arlo camera’s into my setup and getting a Nest thermostat to integrate, so it can’t be that bad, right?

16 posts were split to a new topic: Hue Local Control - Is it real?

I think we should move this to the topic that houses the vera discussion or possibly make it it’s own thread about the merits of hue local control. This is a little off topic here.

5 Likes

Any update on this?

My Routines with “Things start happening” using a motion sensor with “Only once per day” enabled still does not work after it runs once on the day it was created. Never again. I’ve tested this multiple times by deleting/creating new Routines.

I contacted support and opened a ticket but I’m not hearing back from them even after I sent a second email describing this problem again.

I must be missing something. Isn’t that what it was supposed to do?

Oh, never again. Missed that. It is a new function, curious what support says.

1 Like

That they forgot to remove the “per day”… @jpark40 thanks for bringing this up. I just created a routine and enabled the ‘once per day’ when I didn’t really need it. I shall remove it. Thanks again!

Thank you for the once per day tip. I had running routines that I flipped this switch because they “should only run once per day” and I thought it would be a safety net. Nothing worked this morning. Routines failed all over the place. I shall fix my error and turn off this switch.

Steve

ST Support sent me confirmation that there is a bug within Routines where enabling “Only once per day” option will cause the Routine to run only once and never again.

No information on whether they are working on a fix or not. They may just remove this option like they did with Smart Lighting. They just told me not to use that option. :unamused:

1 Like

I was told that this will be corrected in the next version of the app (no timeframe). I took this to mean that they would make it work but did not clarify that point so I suppose they could just remove the option.

I also mentioned that ST needs a page with a list of known bugs for all to view. It would be handy to review the page and know what NOT TO USE at any given time. Victor said he thought there was a thread in the developers area. I haven’t looked yet.

Steve

There’s a section for “known issues” in the community – created wiki. Anyone can add more there at any time. So definitely anyone who runs into a bug can document it there if they want to alert others.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Category:Known_System_Issues

2 Likes

I actually just found the wiki and bookmarked it for further exploration. As always,. Thank you @JDRoberts for having the answers that I need.

Steve

2 Likes

This has been requested for … about 3 years … repeatedly.

SmartThings may eventually provide something, but there’s translation effort required from the internal Jira bug tracker to something digestible by the public. A few of us suggested that even a moderated set of Forum Topics (under a Category) would be sufficient; but then again, moderation of such a Category would be a non-trivial effort. SmartThings is a bit under-resourced, so they are prioritizing efficiency over expediency. I wish that tradeoff didn’t have to exist.

4 Likes

Yes, the under resourced situation concerns me a bit. I have been in that situation with the company I last worked for and they barely pulled it out. It was very close to them going belly up. I hope ST doesn’t end up going by the wayside. I really don’t want to learn another system but am staying away from ZigBee just in case.

Steve

1 Like