webCoRE is going to die?

So if the creator of WebCore left joined Samsung, then left Samsung who is paying for the hosting and running of WebCore today? Who is the keeper of it?

I believe Adrian is still paying for the hosting at the moment. I do know he is stll managing certificates when they expire.

technically, there have been no major updates to WebCoRE on the ST platform in a few years and a few minor patches they were handled by WebCoRE minions but all of those minions have moved on to a different platform.

1 Like

That’s very sad, I noticed there wasn’t major update too, but hearing minions moving along is another straw putting on the death of webcore :sob: :sob:

1 Like

The Hubitat community has an active group of webCoRE users, and the app itself is updated occasionally by the more committed users there, although the fixes/changes have so far been minor.

In the past several months, I have moved what I can to ST Routines and the Sharptools Rule engine, and moved the remaining half-dozen or so webCoRE pistons that are too complex for either ST or Sharptools to webCoRE on Hubitat. Eventually, I hope to move those as well, perhaps via the ST Rules API, but for now I’m waiting for the smoke to settle on the deprecation of the groovy platform on ST.

3 Likes

Has anyone found a cross-hub scripting method for ST Routines? We have a snow sensor at one location on a large property. Then we have secondary hubs at various other buildings on the same property. Each building has internet but too far for z-wave signals from primary hub. The snow sensor trips on the main building and Webcore triggers actions on all the remote hubs. (i.e. turn on the snow melt systems on all roofs). Shy of putting snow sensors on every roof would like to figure out a plan going forward. It has worked flawlessly for 5+ years. Looking for ideas on replacing this. I don’t want to buy a bunch more snow sensors.

tagging @joshua_lyon to see if SharpTools can

2 Likes

SharpTools supports multiple SmartThings locations

3 Likes

Anyway to get SharpTools when having multiple locations put the location name + device name?

We have sensors at a ton of locations and will have to rename them all.

Location - Garage Sensor Temp

Right now when I pull a list it just shows “Garage Sensor” and like 5 entries, one for each location. It will be a ton of work to go put the location name in the device name on all of the hubs. This could just be a cosmetic correction in Sharp Tools. Are the Sharp Tools developers accessible? Happy to jump on a Zoom and show you the work flow. The attached are two different locations but it would be helpful if the name of the devices was “Location - Device Name”.

I have no clue which Front Porch is which location?

1 Like

Tagging @joshua_lyon

I think you can connect your hubs with virtual switches via IFTTT.
If you use a single SmartThings account, the free IFTTT plan will suffice. Otherwise, you’ll need to use Pro+ plan.

We haven’t had many requests for this – I suspect that most people who have multiple locations generally have slightly different naming of their devices. Feel free to create a feature request for it though. Keep in mind that SharpTools is licensed for personal use – commercial use requires special licensing.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I do. I use a two letter abbreviation at the beginning of the device name. So it does not lengthen the device name unnecessarily and it also serves to sort devices by location when they are listed for selection.

1 Like

For us we actually purposely used the same naming for each of our homes. The problem with re-naming them is we have to go back into Grafana and rebuild our SQL queries, etc. Renaming is kind of a pain. What we would like is the hub name.

Example: 123 Main = our Michigan home, 567 = our Florida home.

Hub Name - Device Name
123 Main - Garage Water Sensor
567 Pine - Garage Water Sensor

Regardless we purchased SharpTools.io (without the discounts) and are feeling positive about the product. We believe in investing in the community. Thanks for the responses.

4 Likes

Hi all

I’m a set and forgot guy, so I haven’t been following the community for a long time.

Is it correct understood that the only automation tool after December 31st, will be the Automation Rules in the app? So I might as well start program my current rules/pistons to the ina-app Automation Rules.
Or am I missing something?

Best Regards

there are two options:

1. Routines in the mobile app
  2. Sharptools.io rules engine
1 Like

There will be Routines, Scenes, a new Smart Lights plugin in the app. In addition there are Rules API and Samsung Automation Studio that can be set up outside of the app. Then as mentioned 3rd party tools such as SharpTools, Home Assistant and Node Red, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks both.

I “just” want to recreate my current rules from core, somewhere else, so my automation will continue as well as possible, with as little hassel as possible. I dont have too much time to “nerd” into this :slight_smile:
And I do have some “advanced” rules, If this, THEN this, but only if Mode=Home and if this virtual switch in ON.
I have Philips Hue and I use Life360 for location on our phones.

Can the SmartThings Routines handles these a bit advanced rules? Or would you suggest SharpTools?

I have considered Home Assistent, but that’s whole different platform to move to, correct? Meaning new hardware, include all devices on that platform and program everything there.

Start with Routines. It can handle what you’ve mentioned so far.

That is possible. Preconditions will help. I would probably not count on Life360 since it is based on groovy and I have seen no indications there will be an update to the new architecture for it… but you never know.

Try sharptools at the same time, that’s what my migration is done.

I have plenty medium complex pistons and migrating means you basically have to rethink your rules. Sharptools rule engine isn’t as powerful as webcore’s so you may have to split your piston rules to separate sharptools ones or even complement with SmartThings app routines.

Utilise as many as virtual devices as possible, since you’d have to pay in sharptools to get to use variables (or if you’re willing to pay then you don’t need that many virtual devices)

Smart lighting is also a good option when it comes to lighting automations. I didn’t realise smart lighting had the ability to add very flexible offsets to the time of the trigger.