Voice Control to set alarm for blind person

My father is blind and I am about to buy the Samsung Smart Things starter kit. HE currently uses a Samsung Galaxy phone using voice control. Is it possible to voice control the setting of the house alarm on a Samsung Galaxy phone as well as the other features such as turning things on and off and receiving voice descriptions of activations etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

SmartThings doesn’t support voice control out of the box, but I developed an app called SharpTools which provides Tasker integration. Using the Tasker integration, you could setup custom voice commands and read-outs of the current state of lights/locks/etc.

Here are a few voice tutorials:

I would note that this approach is probably more for the tinkerers than the average joe though. If you are looking for an out of the box solution that support voice control, I would consider getting the Amazon Echo. It doesn’t support read-outs today, but he would at least have the voice control.

1 Like

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for the reply and information. I’ll try SharpTools, happy to spend time setting it up. I did look at the Amazon Echo, but we are in the UK and it’s not available over here yet and it would be quite handy for him to be able to use it on his smartphone while in the garden etc too.

1 Like

Feel free to message me or post here if you have questions. I would be happy to help and I’m sure if other SharpTools users see this post they would be happy to share their experience as well.

You could use IFTTT to trigger SHM status: IFTTT trigger Smart Home Monitor

You may be able to use his current voice control to perform the action. We have an Amazon Echo and it works well with IFTTT to trigger via voice commands.

As for Feedback that could be done using Rule Machine created by @bravenel . Any number of Actions could happen based on SHM status using Rule Machine. I recently picked up an AEON Doorbell and loaded it with MP3 Voice Commands that you can have Rule Machine Trigger/Activate. Many options out there.

You can find Rule Machine here: Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

Thanks, just got the system today so will start playing with it.

I’ll be back for some help if that is OK

1 Like