Viable alternative to ST

JD I was comparing the cost to ST

Odd thing about redundancy… sometimes, the error that crashes your primary system also crashes your mirrored data. lol

We know all about redundancy. But redundant pathways fail, redundant hardware fails, etc. In any event, when the inevitable downtime occurs we deal with it and realize it for what it is. And we have contingencies.

With ST, the contingency plan is we get off our lazy butts and throw a switch :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Also everyone is different but I find that outages have improved the WAF. At first she thought it was all pointless but now when she walks into a room and the lights don’t turn on for her she gets irritated. But she has grown to appreciate the automation when it’s working.

2 Likes

£1,000 would still be considered low-end.

In that range, you can definitely get more reliability by going to one of the more local platforms. Indigo domotics is extremely reliable, but it only supports zwave and Insteon Devices, and not all of those. Last time I looked they didn’t support secure Z wave devices, so no zwave locks, for example.

If you’re willing to do your own programming and you’re OK with not having zigbee devices, homeseer is worth looking into.

Like I said, every system has pluses and minuses. It’s just a question of which of the minuses bother you the most. :wink:

2 Likes

Throwing a switch won’t disarm the smart home monitor rule which is causing your siren to go off every time somebody walks through the living room. :disappointed_relieved:

That’s why it’s best to plan in advance for outages and think hard about how their own system is set up and which pieces won’t work, which pieces will work, and which pieces will work even if you don’t want them to! :scream::scream: :rotating_light:

2 Likes

The v2 Hub and variants are getting more and more local automations. You just need to make sure your devices are supported. Smartlighting runs locally and if all your devices in a specific smartlighting automation support local processing then it’s all local.

Also local processing sounds like it would solve a lot but the reality is that so many devices are connected to the cloud these days that many of the integrations are cloud to cloud and so local processing is not possible. In fact over half of my devices depend on a cloud connection to some other service that SmartThings.

Some parts of it are local. Not all. The mobile app will not work at all without the cloud. Nothing will change the mode without the cloud, so if you have a rule set up to run in different modes, those changes won’t happen even if that’s in a smart lighting automation.

3 Likes

My siren has a manual cutoff that only two people know how to operate.

:joy: All you young punks.

6 Likes

This looks promising. Looking at all compatible products. They support everything I own with the exception of MyQ. They even have a Nest Plugin for the Cameras.

Spent a little time going through the form and searching. How I found the Nest Plugin. Looks like an active developer making changes to that based on requests made.

Just might have found my summer project.

Samsung announced this in Oct 2015 and repeatedly afterwards at IFA, CES’s and SDC’s.

2 Likes

Do we know of anyone in the community that has the HomeTroller S6? I would love to see an up and down review of this and then a side by side comparison of ST capabilities with “cans” and “cannots” with Homeseer from someone that has an ST hub and knows all.of the current functionality. An insiders review.

We’ve had a couple of community members who had homeseer and moved over to SmartThings, but I don’t remember anybody in the last year and a half.

The most obvious difference is that there is no zigbee support with homeseer for ZHA devices. They can do Sylvania through their gateway or Hugh through the hue bridge, but no ZHA sensors.

Also, the Homeseer IFTTT channel has some strange restrictions on it, read the docs carefully, particularly since that’s their main way for doing some of the third-party integrations

@ITMorgan and a couple of other community members have gone the other direction in the last year or so, they might have something to add.

1 Like

Excellent. Since you mentioned that member, I found this thread that goes all the way back to 2015 and that individual updated it in August past year.

1 Like

:rofl: True but it does feel like things are different this time. Only time will tell… but I think they are finally realizing the traction this platform has. The fact that they are putting smartthings integration in their family hub fridges is huge. Once they put it front and center in the home like that with their name on it, ignoring the platform becomes less of an option. Thats of course assuming they deliver the fridge with all announced features working.

Again, they aren’t actually putting the technology that is currently being used with the SmartThings hubs into the refrigerator.

Instead, they are using the SmartThings name with everything. And they’re combining all of the mobile apps into a new one under the SmartThings name, but which appears to be based on the Samsung Connect Mobile app based on early screenshots.

And the cloud itself, although still called “SmartThings” is going to be a different technology and the one used with the current hubs is going to be migrated over to that one, with quite a few changes.

You can find detailed discussion, including by some staff members, of the planned changes in the following thread:

I think it’s clear that they are putting some resources into what is essentially a new platform. But that doesn’t really have anything to do with the issues that people have been seeing over the last three years.

1 Like

I was strongly considering Indigo as I recently built a Mac HTPC (don’t ask why, beyond the scope here) so Indigo was a natural pathway for me. I found the options to be way too limited. Impressive software on the trial run…but no Hue, no Ecobee, nothing outside the pre-approved list of vendors and it seems the entire platform community is handled by a single guy. A better platform if you can design around its limitations rather than taking an already established system with you.

1 Like

Understood I didn’t mean to imply they are putting the hub into the fridge or that it will be based on the smartthings technology or app only that they will be putting what amounts to a control panel for your smartthings devices. That is why I linked the article it does not say anything about a hub in the fridge or really any details of what the control interface will be like. We will just have to wait and see for now, and hope they don’t screw it up. I’d like to be optimistic that they will deliver something awesome but…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Again… This was already promised when the fridge was originally launched… a long time ago.

Everytime is “different” — until it isn’t.

2 Likes

Where is the optimism :grinning: I just hope they don’t ruin the work you and others have done to fill the current gaps. If Samsung screws up my action tiles and webcore…

I know they say they aren’t going to but consider me worried based on history of delivering.

2 Likes